EPL Matchday 14

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Leicester back into second spot. Where do people sit on Brendan Rodgers these days?

Always been a polarising figure. I recall when his name was in the ring for the Arsenal and Chelsea jobs back in 2019 many fans of those clubs were mortified (fraud riding on Suarez' coat tails seemed to be a pretty commonly held opinion although the tide was turning).

Is that still the case or if either club were to be hunting for a new manager in the near future would they be happy to see him take the reins?

If there were no such things as press conferences and post-match interviews, Brendan Rodgers would be a lot more highly rated.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I think what happens with Rodgers is that he gets a team going well and when they look like they will achieve something, they bottle it. Whether that's the manager or the players who knows but it's consistent with all 3 teams he's last managed. Liverpool we know, Celtic bottled Champions League and Europa League under him despite all the domestic trophies. Leicester bottled the end of last season to drop from UCL almost guaranteed to UEL.
I think Liverpool was just unfortunate. Celtic are not really expected to do well in Europe anyways so I wouldnt call that a bottle job and Leicester did fall away last season but still finished 5th which is an excellent result and they look on course to improve again this season.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I think Liverpool was just unfortunate. Celtic are not really expected to do well in Europe anyways so I wouldnt call that a bottle job and Leicester did fall away last season but still finished 5th which is an excellent result and they look on course to improve again this season.
Yes but they were in a similar position last year and they fell away. As for Celtic.. they barely qualified for the UCL or didn't even against what would easily be considered lower teams. Then there are his two 7-0 and 7-1 defeats in group stages like they're San Marino v Germany.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Yes but they were in a similar position last year and they fell away. As for Celtic.. they barely qualified for the UCL or didn't even against what would easily be considered lower teams. Then there are his two 7-0 and 7-1 defeats in group stages like they're San Marino v Germany.
He's not perfect for sure but what he's done with Leicester I think has been really impressive. Would do well at Arsenal IMO.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Most of those wins coming against those sides, good on them.

Wait, when did 2/5 become ‘most’?

Besides, beating those below and around you is generally going to be enough for survival, which is a reasonable goal for a promoted side

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

Agree with that. In the two seasons before Rodgers took over at Celtic they didn't reach the group stage of the UCL. Rodgers took them there in two consecutive seasons. Since he left they haven't reached the group stage. They are never going to be able to compete with the top European teams but Celtic outperformed in Europe while Rodgers was there.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Screenshot_20201221-191736.jpg

Oops

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Owen is a fantastic pundit, and Ince has absolutely no idea. Owen was bang on.

Owen can be very hit and miss I think.

Pre game United vs Leeds a good example of the worst of Owen. He was so critical of Ole's team selection, calling it cowardly and negative, saying that they were just asking for Leeds to come out and smash the defence.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Owen can be very hit and miss I think.

Pre game United vs Leeds a good example of the worst of Owen. He was so critical of Ole's team selection, calling it cowardly and negative, saying that they were just asking for Leeds to come out and smash the defence.
Well they were. They just got a bit lucky at the start and that changed the game.

Back