EPL Matchday 15 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoying it while I can. Been a long time since we have been good and played this well for a sustained period of time.

Looking rock solid too both physically & mentally which is the difference from previous Arteta teams.

Goalscoring is the only concern. Arteta should go out and buy a top class CF in January .

The title is a good chance of being decided over the 2 City fixtures next year. Need some firepower in those games.

How many games do you reckon he's watched live this season? ;)

Since he was so excited about going top this week I wonder if he's even been keeping track of replays! ;)

Enjoying it while I can. Been a long time since we have been good and played this well for a sustained period of time.

Yes as much as I'm aware Arsenal being top won't last the distance, I am enjoying the football being played (and the nervousness/concern its causing a select handful in reading through the matchday threads) :D

I tend to look down the table actually, and of more relevance to me are these numbers:

Top 4 was very much the objective entering the league this season and barring a poor run of form post world cup, Arsenal are very well on track to achieve that.

If only all our away games were played at the bridge, that's 3 in a row Arsenal have won there now under Arteta. Only the second club in the PL era to do that I believe. The scoreline very much flattered Chelsea, only wastefulness in front of goal prevented the match from being a 3-4 nil result. Chelsea hardly laid a glove on Arsenal, Ramsdale with very little to do and Saliba and Gabriel did as they pleased with Partey bossing the game in front of them.

Not very often I've seen such a dominant Arsenal display away to a big club, how many times we've been hit for 6 at during these corresponding fixtures over the years. That was a brilliant performance.

Yes as much as I'm aware Arsenal being top won't last the distance, I am enjoying the football being played (and the nervousness/concern its causing a select handful in reading through the matchday threads) :D

I tend to look down the table actually, and of more relevance to me are these numbers:

Top 4 was very much the objective entering the league this season and barring a poor run of form post world cup, Arsenal are very well on track to achieve that.

If only all our away games were played at the bridge, that's 3 in a row Arsenal have won there now under Arteta. Only the second club in the PL era to do that I believe. The scoreline very much flattered Chelsea, only wastefulness in front of goal prevented the match from being a 3-4 nil result. Chelsea hardly laid a glove on Arsenal, Ramsdale with very little to do and Saliba and Gabriel did as they pleased with Partey bossing the game in front of them.

Not very often I've seen such a dominant Arsenal display away to a big club, how many times we've been hit for 6 at during these corresponding fixtures over the years. That was a brilliant performance.

Arsenals start to the season is in the top 10 best starts of all time. Only Newcastle in 95-96 (34 points after 13 goals) failed to go on and win the league.

The signs are very promising and it is refreshing to see a young dynamic team playing quality attractive football doing so well.

Arsenals start to the season is in the top 10 best starts of all time. Only Newcastle in 95-96 (34 points after 13 goals) failed to go on and win the league.

The signs are very promising and it is refreshing to see a young dynamic team playing quality attractive football doing so well.

Wasn't aware of that stat, wow. I still believe this season is "too soon" for Arsenal in terms of the title itself. However as you mentioned, a very young side (youngest average age in the league I recall, with the youngest manager), Arsenal are positioning themselves for a sustained run at the business end of the table in the 2-3 years coming.

I've been saying this for a few seasons now - think it was in relation to Gero rubbishing their chances to improve - the fact they have such a solid young core that are developing together, they could improve quite quickly. A bit like the Swans in the AFL, when you have a solid group in the same age bracket you can see big improvements quite quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't aware of that stat, wow. I still believe this season is "too soon" for Arsenal in terms of the title itself. However as you mentioned, a very young side (youngest average age in the league I recall, with the youngest manager), Arsenal are positioning themselves for a sustained run at the business end of the table in the 2-3 years coming.

The world cup is the x factor. How players return etc and how the ones who arent playing maintain match fitness.

I will say that finishing is a concern. Sign a top class CF and I reckon you could just about seal the title if the status quo remains the same.

I've been saying this for a few seasons now - think it was in relation to Gero rubbishing their chances to improve - the fact they have such a solid young core that are developing together, they could improve quite quickly. A bit like the Swans in the AFL, when you have a solid group in the same age bracket you can see big improvements quite quickly.

Therez no real superstars either in this Arsenal team. Like you say development / improvement over a few seasons while Arteta cleared out dead wood / bad eggs from the squad. Reminds me very much of Liverpool from 2016-18.

The world cup is the x factor. How players return etc and how the ones who arent playing maintain match fitness.

I will say that finishing is a concern. Sign a top class CF and I reckon you could just about seal the title if the status quo remains the same.

Yes momentum is important in any sport, it would be in Arsenal's best interests to keep playing. However will be interesting to see how it goes after the restart, every club is in the same boat with that disruption.

Finishing definetley is a concern. Chance creation itself was a major issue last season, so in that regard Arsenal have come a long way. Maybe Jesus is saving himself to score 4 in a match again like he did late last season for City :D

313420214_5568487283232227_3686251850630684250_n.jpg

Yes momentum is important in any sport, it would be in Arsenal's best interests to keep playing. However will be interesting to see how it goes after the restart, every club is in the same boat with that disruption.

Finishing definetley is a concern. Chance creation itself was a major issue last season, so in that regard Arsenal have come a long way. Maybe Jesus is saving himself to score 4 in a match again like he did late last season for City :D

A shame that Jesus couldnt finish that quality chance created in the first half after some sublime one touch quick transition football. Would have been one of the goals of the season.

On what basis? Arsenal look the more likely as things stand.

Theres also this stat:

2nd spot after MD13

17/18 - United 29 points
19/20 - Leicester 29 points
11/12 - United 30 points
18/19 - Liverpool 33 points (like City this season, 2 points behind).
93/94 - Norwich 23 points
95/96 - United 26 points (played 12 matches when Newcastle were on 13)
05/06 - Wigan 25 points (same as above)
06/07 - United 31 points

Most of the teams in 2nd weren’t particularly close to the team on top. That can’t be used as much of a form guide with City only 2 points behind Arsenal this season.

On what basis? Arsenal look the more likely as things stand.

Theres also this stat:

To be fair, Arsenal were not all that impressive against a struggling Leeds outfit at the time a few weeks ago.

It would be a wonderful and amazing story if they can win the league, but especially during an World Cup season, I feel like the will run out of gas/young stars will hit the wall eventually.

But massive credit to Arteta, very impressive young gaffer and I am glad the Arsenal board backed him in.

Not sure if by accident or design, but the Gooners are a very well run (and stable) club these days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back