EPL Matchday 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Linesman still did the wrong thing.

Oh yes, agree the lino erred. They are supposed to flag after the ball goes in the net if they believe an offside has happened.

Still, it is drummed into footballers from a young age to never stop playing until the ref blows the whistle. Poor to just stop.

Still, it is drummed into footballers from a young age to never stop playing until the ref blows the whistle. Poor to just stop.

Until this season, if the linesman raises his flag then it's offside and everyone stops. The whistle comes later.

The linesman should be keeping his flag down if it's tight - so it was an error in the Sheff U v Newcastle game.

But there needs to be a change to the VAR rules that if the linesman raises his flag incorrectly then the play stops.

Oh yes, agree the lino erred. They are supposed to flag after the ball goes in the net if they believe an offside has happened.

It’s still harsh on Dean Henderson. He got distracted by everyone stopping and a flag going up for an apparent “obvious” offside.

It’s still harsh on Dean Henderson. He got distracted by everyone stopping and a flag going up for an apparent “obvious” offside.

I've got some empathy with Sheff U boss Chris Wilder. VAR has taken some of the joy out of football. You go mad when there's a goal then there's the nothing during the review process which can take a couple of minutes.

It's different to the game we grew up watching, and different to the game that is played at a non elite level across the world.

Would have been even harsher on Shelvey if play was stopped by the referee for an incorrect offside call. Play to the whistle, simple mantra to follow and you can't go wrong if you follow it.

Referees need to put their offside flags away for all but the most obvious offsides until the ball is in the back of the net.

Is manè better than salah?

In 2019, yeah I think Mané has been slightly better, but they’re pretty even for me. For some reason Salah seems to be held to far higher standards which I think skews people’s perceptions of the two. For example, people were talking about Salah having a poor start to the season and Mané being on fire, but looking at their stats there was next to nothing between them.

E801EC22-D594-4164-873D-7C9E0E65DB3B.jpeg

For some reason Salah seems to be held to far higher standards
Because he broke the record for most goals in a 38 game prem season, and also got 44 goals in all comps. Mane's most is 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back