EPL Matchday 18

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s nothing to do with the politicians. Like some have said you’ll never entirely stamp out racism from society. The fact that a few are found in stadiums across England is a symptom of that. Twitter and other very left wing media love to blame the politicians or the people voting for them. It’s sour grapes because they are upset they lost. Saw it after Brexit, Trump and now Boris.

I call bullshit on that.

The "* Off, We're Full" bumper stickers on every other car in Qld has its fair share of implied racism. And that is absolutely enabled by leadership in this country.

Leadership is leadership.

Do you think it would help if Boris condemned racist behaviour at prem games? Has he done that? Why not?

Do you think it would help if Boris condemned racist behaviour at prem games? Has he done that? Why not?

Wouldn't make a difference imo.

I'm fact I think he has condemned racist behaviour at football matches.

We need to look a bit beyond the easy villain imo. I'm interested if other sports have the same spikes in racist behaviour. Surely if it was down to leadership rugby and cricket would have the same issues.

I get the feeling media and social media has a lot to do with it. There is so much anger, and club v club aggravation and that has increased hugely in the past few years.

There used to be banter, now people genuinely despise opposition clubs, players and supporters.

Last edited:

We need to look a bit beyond the easy villain imo. I'm interested if other sports have the same spikes in racist behaviour. Surely if it was down to leadership rugby and cricket would have the same issues.

I get the feeling media and social media has a lot to do with it. There is so much anger, and club v club aggravation and that has increased hugely in the past few years.

There used to be banter, now people genuinely despise opposition clubs, players and supporters.

Supporters have always despised other clubs, it's why segregation is a thing.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We need to look a bit beyond the easy villain imo.

Im not looking for a villain. This issue needs leadership and it needs sustained leadership and it needs strong leadership.

AFL is still dealing with it every year and the Windmar incident happened when Victoria Park was still going.

UEFA do it with their competitions. They make clubs play in empty stadiums. Maybe leadership needs to insist this happens in the prem.

Im not looking for a villain. This issue needs leadership and it needs sustained leadership and it needs strong leadership.

AFL is still dealing with it every year and the Windmar incident happened when Victoria Park was still going.

UEFA do it with their competitions. They make clubs play in empty stadiums. Maybe leadership needs to insist this happens in the prem.
I'm not sure playing in empty stadiums is a bad idea. But it doesn't seem to have changed much to date.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
it's neither political side. it's all of them. everyone needs to pick a side and relentlessly defend them, no matter what. the age of whataboutery. much the same as football club, defend them relentlessly. anger, frustration all builds up, where do people get their release? sports.

how to fix it, i dont know. i dont think there is an answer. education is a cop out, people say and do this stuff knowing they're not supposed to. name and shame? maybe, but some do it for the attention. cancel the game? punishing the majority who arent in the wrong at the ground. empty stadiums? again, punishing the majority.

until racists decide to stop being racists, this s**t wont stop.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
it's neither political side. it's all of them. everyone needs to pick a side and relentlessly defend them, no matter what. the age of whataboutery. much the same as football club, defend them relentlessly. anger, frustration all builds up, where do people get their release? sports.

how to fix it, i dont know. i dont think there is an answer. education is a cop out, people say and do this stuff knowing they're not supposed to. name and shame? maybe, but some do it for the attention. cancel the game? punishing the majority who arent in the wrong at the ground. empty stadiums? again, punishing the majority.

Name and shame the only thing that has any chance but even that like you say has flaws. I bet the idiots who did what they did have families or colleagues who would have no clue that Bill/Fred/Nigel is a racist

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Name and shame the only thing that has any chance but even that like you say has flaws. I bet the idiots who did what they did have families or colleagues who would have no clue that Bill/Fred/Nigel is a racist
and thats the other thing too. full names get put out, addresses found, family members threatened and involved in something with nothing to do with them. its a really difficult thing to get right, i dont know what the best way to do it is.

Just finally got around to watching the Gazzaniga foul :sob: :sob: :sob:

Giving the foul the other way originally could be the worst decision I’ve ever seen in my life, the first time VAR has actually been very useful

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

While not perfect, punishing the majority would drive some of the accountability onto the people surrounding these idiots to call them out/report them. I suspect/hope this is happening already, but it’d add an extra incentive.

Back