EPL Matchday 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha yeah mate that really got to me.

Honest thoughts on Smiling Sonny? 1 red card you could pass it off, but 3 for violent conduct in 17 league games - seems he has a bit of an issue with his temperament, despite the candescent pearly whites. I think we all agree he didn’t deliberately set out to break Gomes’ leg but he did lose his head and violently lash out.

Not helpful for Mourinho or his teammates if he’s going to get himself suspended every month.
I’ve already given an honest assessment on him in this thread. I’ve condemned him for his brainless actions and said he doesn’t learn his lessons. Unfortunately his happy go lucky, good positive bloke vibes (how’s that for a reference?) has been damaged, probably terminally considering the unforgiving nature of rival football fans

Nice to see Rudiger stand up to the racists, sadly hes had plenty of experince dealing with these morons while he was at Roma. The London derbys seem to bring out the worst in some supporters.
A week on. Still nothing in the way of any evidence
Not saying he was lying, I wasn't there, but at what point does a lack of evidence, arrests, bans etc actually mean something? Surely if there's something to be found it'd have to be found pretty soon.

If he's telling the truth, find those responsible and ban them. If he's misheard then tell us that.

More likely mistaken than lying, but who knows.

Some suggestion that it was the “Yid” chant going around, which can be mistaken for something more sinister the way it’s chanted

More likely mistaken than lying, but who knows.

Some suggestion that it was the “Yid” chant going around, which can be mistaken for something more sinister the way it’s chanted
Official club supporter trust now fed up with the lack of an update.

they have a point too. Either prove the claim and ban the perpetrators or clear the reputations of the clubs fans and receive an apology from Rudiger

they have a point too. Either prove the claim and ban the perpetrators or clear the reputations of the clubs fans and receive an apology from Rudiger

Don't hold your breath on the last part. If they can't prove it they will just say there wasn't conclusive evidence like the Holgate-Firmino incident, and that Rudiger acted in good faith so he doesn't lose face.

Don't hold your breath on the last part. If they can't prove it they will just say there wasn't conclusive evidence like the Holgate-Firmino incident, and that Rudiger acted in good faith so he doesn't lose face.

Inconclusive evidence, is that how it was resolved? Holgate shoved Firmino over the fence into the front row, all the cameras clearly showed Firmino calling him a ‘filho da puta’ (son of a whore) in response, Holgate accused him of calling him a n***** and somehow avoided being carded or sent off for the original incident.

So he never retracted that allegation once clear evidence emerged he’d misinterpreted what Firmino had said? I didn’t realise. Bit of a dick move.

I get the frustration of Spurs fans, I suspect Rudiger and Chelsea are equally if not more frustrated by the delay, Rudiger seemed very upset by what he heard and confident enough to put the allegations in writing on Twitter. You just have to assume despite delays over the Xmas period an investigation is under way. Usually stadium/TV cameras are pretty effective at identifying these people.

What we don't want to do is discourage people who believe they've been racially abused from reporting it because it's not worth the hassle that comes with it.

Holgate thought he was racially abused and by reporting it he had people going through his Twitter history trying to dig up dirt and contacting the FA trying to get him suspended. If Rudiger felt he was racially abused he's done exactly the right thing to report it.

It might not be fair to Spurs fans if they didn't do it (a regular on the City forum called it straight away that he was in the area and nothing was said). And I don't know the answer, but I think it's dangerous to be calling for apologies.

Maybe the fact that these things are being played out through the media isn't helping things. As soon as that happens tribalism kicks in.

It's also worth pointing out that an offence not being proven isn't necessarily the same as it not happening.

Maybe they could interview this guy. Season ticket holder for Spurs in that area claiming he heard it.

There was an open letter from a fan who can be seen in a picture in the front row who thinks Rudiger misheard "cheat, cheat, cheat, cheat" as monkey noises. Nothing malicious in Rudiger thinking that's racist noises because it can sound animalistic as a chant. Like this letter said if Rudiger has picked out a few voices doing it then sure find them and ban them but the large groups were chanting cheat (rightly or wrongly with the Son incident), but it would be some pretty elite hearing to pick out the noises from a smaller group than that of the thousands chanting cheat.

Personally I've got no doubt there would have been a few dickheads who joined in the chorus of cheat chants with racist monkey chants. Finding them will be difficult though when the majority of the crowd are also chanting at Rudiger at the same time

There was an open letter from a fan who can be seen in a picture in the front row who thinks Rudiger misheard "cheat, cheat, cheat, cheat" as monkey noises. Nothing malicious in Rudiger thinking that's racist noises because it can sound animalistic as a chant. Like this letter said if Rudiger has picked out a few voices doing it then sure find them and ban them but the large groups were chanting cheat (rightly or wrongly with the Son incident), but it would be some pretty elite hearing to pick out the noises from a smaller group than that of the thousands chanting cheat.

Personally I've got no doubt there would have been a few dickheads who joined in the chorus of cheat chants with racist monkey chants. Finding them will be difficult though when the majority of the crowd are also chanting at Rudiger at the same time
Not sure about your last paragraph, possible but conjecture really. I thought it was the “yid” chant going up in support of Son as he left the field but equally could have been the “cheat” chant which like you say can sound like making a monkey/ape type sound

Maybe they could interview this guy. Season ticket holder for Spurs in that area claiming he heard it.

Seen that, also seen that most, on twitter and other platforms thinking he is talking shite to get attention.

who knows though, either tell us someone did something or tell us nothing happened.

wouldn’t be the first time btw Rudiger has misheard.

Yeah. Pretty hostile, would have been hard given so many would have been yelling for the lil bitch to get up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen that, also seen that most, on twitter and other platforms thinking he is talking shite to get attention.

who knows though, either tell us someone did something or tell us nothing happened.

wouldn’t be the first time btw Rudiger has misheard.
It wouldn't be the first time Rudiger has been abused either. Happy for him to stand up for himself towards abusers. Is the other time he "misheard' that game in Rome?

Seems like John Hall has contacted the club it'll be interesting what comes of it, in the end how did you guys deal with that guy throwing a banana at a player?

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with him mistaking cheat, cheat, cheat with monkey noises. Would rather him make officials aware of it even if wrong than saying nothing

It wouldn't be the first time Rudiger has been abused either. Happy for him to stand up for himself towards abusers. Is the other time he "misheard' that game in Rome?

Seems like John Hall has contacted the club it'll be interesting what comes of it, in the end how did you guys deal with that guy throwing a banana at a player?
I'd assume we did, can't recall if it was ever released in a presser or anything.
Nice to see "player" one of the misconceptions is that it was at Aubameyang. There was a clip or photo angle at the time that showed it being thrown at Bellerin, still the wrong thing but lessens the credibility of the claim of racism.

Police have confirmed they have found no evidence of racial abuse. Doesn't mean it wasn't done in small pockets but the initial musings that it was large sections of the Spurs crowd can be squashed.

Also no pointing at the finger at Rudiger for letting the officials know that's what he thought he heard. There's protocols in place where players should tell officials these things and then the authorities investigate. People just want to take offense to everything and want to lay into him for it

Police have confirmed they have found no evidence of racial abuse. Doesn't mean it wasn't done in small pockets but the initial musings that it was large sections of the Spurs crowd can be squashed.

Also no pointing at the finger at Rudiger for letting the officials know that's what he thought he heard. There's protocols in place where players should tell officials these things and then the authorities investigate. People just want to take offense to everything and want to lay into him for it
On the “on topic” thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back