Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Unless both sides simultaneously impact the play it’s moot
Encroachment is defined as entering the penalty area or arc before the ball is played on a penalty kick. The rule does not differentiate as to who plays it but in any case the attacking player thIs morning did attempt to play the ball but was beaten to it.

This is not something thst VAR should be ruling on, Atkinson correctly let it go first time round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite

Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
We have a challenging January and then the fixtures ease up, if the lead is similar going into Feb. I think that's when Liverpool supporters will get a bit louder/confident

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They both cancel each other out is what usually happens. Very surprised that VAR got involved in that one as both te encroaching attacking / defending players challenged for the ball. Should have been left alone.
By the letter of the law if players from both teams encroach the penalty should be retaken. But the interpretation has been there for a while now that if a defender gets to the ball first it's a retake, if an attacker gets to the ball first it's an indirect free kick.

I think it's a good rule. Nearly every penalty, players from both teams encroach but it rarely affects the outcome. Let it go. If there's encroachment by a player who affects the outcome then VAR can easily sort it out. The only contentious point of this morning's retake was whether the defender who cleared it had encroached. On the line counts as in the area so he did.

Papermate

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, New England, Stanford
It isn't even necessarily the points gap which makes me feel like it's done. The mental strain that loss would have put on the City players must be crushing. I think they've have given up, and that means it's done.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Ederson had fouled Jota outside the box but the ball rolled into the goal I assume Ederson would have got a yellow card not a red.

But what about this hypothetical. What if De Bruyne had scored a deliberate own goal before the ref blew his whistle? At the 11 minute mark would you rather be 1-0 down with 11 men, or 0-0 with 10 men?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
If Ederson had fouled Jota outside the box but the ball rolled into the goal I assume Ederson would have got a yellow card not a red.

But what about this hypothetical. What if De Bruyne had scored a deliberate own goal before the ref blew his whistle? At the 11 minute mark would you rather be 1-0 down with 11 men, or 0-0 with 10 men?
1-0 with 11. you're not giving up possession, have all your players and not have your awful backup gk

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
IMO the Mahtez penalty was correct. Was stood on, defender got nowhere near the ball and he didn't initiate the contact. Yeah he oversold it but was still clearly fouled.

Venkman

All Australian
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
IMO the Mahtez penalty was correct. Was stood on, defender got nowhere near the ball and he didn't initiate the contact. Yeah he oversold it but was still clearly fouled.
Agree - he has to go down like he's shot to get the ref to look at it. You could argue that had Mendy gone down after Traore smashes in to him that he would have got a free as well. Not sure why more City fans aren't talking about that - it was a foul wasn't it?

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
How did Liverpool fans genuinely believe they aren't going to win it from here?

I understand everything that's happened in the past, but Jesus. It is whoever is in second place has to win when (IF) you lose FIVE times.

Fat lady is out on the rooftops.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Agree - he has to go down like he's shot to get the ref to look at it. You could argue that had Mendy gone down after Traore smashes in to him that he would have got a free as well. Not sure why more City fans aren't talking about that - it was a foul wasn't it?
Traore didnt foul Mendy, body to body contact and he played the ball.

QuietB

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mahrez? Had his foot trodden on then went down like he was shot by a sniper. They usually give those.
Oops - I thought it was Sterling. Yes that one. If the dive is a clear second action it should automatically get called a dive

QuietB

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How did Liverpool fans genuinely believe they aren't going to win it from here?

I understand everything that's happened in the past, but Jesus. It is whoever is in second place has to win when (IF) you lose FIVE times.

Fat lady is out on the rooftops.
Anything can happen. Liverpool drew 5 in 7 last year. That would certainly change things if they did it again. There are too many games left.

Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite

Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Traore didnt foul Mendy, body to body contact and he played the ball.
The body to body contact was into Mendy's back though - if Mendy went down it would have been given a foul.

The non-call is what fuels the diving debate - if players don't go down they don't get the free kick. That's on the refs to correct.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Anything can happen. Liverpool drew 5 in 7 last year. That would certainly change things if they did it again. There are too many games left.
So much this. Nobody can win the title with half the season yet to come. Long way to go, in a great position, let's see what happens.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I heard a rumour that Liverpool will be signing Gerrard as a player in January.
I’ve been thinking that this should happen for years if you’re nearly home and you trot him out as a sub in the final game of the season in the 90th minute. 😜

Top Bottom