EPL Matchday 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing that seems to be happening is linesman keeping their flag down even when an offside is blatantly obvious. I feel the lino should've flagged in the City game and that would have stopped the further controversy.

Happened quite a bit in our game vs United - I remember Rashford being 2-3m offside but the linesman still let it go until he had possession and his shot on goal. Obvious offsides need to be flagged immediately IMO.

Another thing that seems to be happening is linesman keeping their flag down even when an offside is blatantly obvious. I feel the lino should've flagged in the City game and that would have stopped the further controversy.

Happened quite a bit in our game vs United - I remember Rashford being 2-3m offside but the linesman still let it go until he had possession and his shot on goal. Obvious offsides need to be flagged immediately IMO.
Was the opposite for us against Leicester.

Was the opposite for us against Leicester.

That can be equally annoying when a lino flags a close call. They're not supposed to raise their flag for close calls but should be doing it for the obvious ones where no other player could possibly be involved with the play who is onside.

I had no idea offside could be applied (or not applied) this way until this morning.

If that's not offside then the laws needs to be changed. Completely against the spirit of the rule.
They spend too much time worrying about the ones that are 3mm offside than the 20 metre ones.

They spend too much time worrying about the ones that are 3mm offside than the 20 metre ones.
Yep; ones like the Patrick Bamford one where his outstretched hand made him off side are just farcical and surely not in the spirit of the game, particularly when footballing bodies surely would prefer more scoring.

If you ask me, the VAR seems more about preventing scoring than enabling it.

ESPN simply quote the factual information from VAR has been used to either allow a goal or disallow a goal. It doesn't include instances where VAR wasn't used when it should a been - like with the Pickford red card farce. Clearly Everton have benefitted massively from VAR this season.

Even the DCL goal - at the time the game was close and it made a huge difference.
When will you get over the Pickford thing? 2035?

Top of the table side.
Best midfielder in the league.

Beats a Fulham side who most other top clubs have struggled with of late. Good call.
So have Sheffield United. Doesn't make them not a relegation candidate. So have West Brom.. doesn't make them not a relegation candidate. Empower that brain of yours to think outside the box.

. I feel the lino should've flagged in the City game and that would have stopped the further controversy.

He didnt flag earlier in the play because he wasnt offside according to the laws of the game.

Why would he incorrectly flag for offside?

These VAR tables are a bit pointless.

If ref makes the wrong decision and VAR corrects it you havent been treated harshly.

I'm more interested in why refs are still making so many bad decisions, and also the VAR involvenents and non involvements that are blatantly wrong.

If ref makes the wrong decision and VAR corrects it you havent been treated harshly.

I'm more interested in why refs are still making so many bad decisions, and also the VAR involvenents and non involvements that are blatantly wrong.
But what else can Liverpool fans complain about and Manchester United fans try to cover up their Pens with?

The ball was headed to him and he was 10yards offside. No other player had a a chance of playing the ball. Shouldve been flagged immediately.
But according to the rules he is not offside, refs can't just make up the rules as they go along

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are not pointless, they are based off factual information - when VAR was used.

What you are interested in isnt based off factual information. Theres no way to measure it.

The ball was headed to him and he was 10yards offside. No other player had a a chance of playing the ball. Shouldve been flagged immediately.
He made no attempt to play the ball.

But according to the rules he is not offside, refs can't just make up the rules as they go along

Of course he was offside, the ball was played to him and he moved towards the ball. Flag should have gone up. Then theres no controversy over what was and wasnt a new phase of play.

They are not pointless, they are based off factual information - when VAR was used.

What you are interested in isnt based off factual information. Theres no way to measure it.
And if City get 100 favourable decisions from VAR all those facts mean is that refs got it blatantly wrong in the first place 100 times.

And if City get 100 favourable decisions from VAR all those facts mean is that refs got it blatantly wrong in the first place 100 times.

You still think Liverpool get favoured by VAR. That says it all pretty much as far as the validity of your opinion on this matter.

Ill stick to the facts thankyou very much.

Why would he incorrectly flag for offside?
Correct.

Standing in an offside position is not an offence, once Mings plays at the ball him being in an offside position becomes irrelevant. Rule may suck but was applied correctly. Consistent with the penalty against Liverpool at Anfield a couple of seasons ago after Lovren played the ball.

You still think Liverpool get favoured by VAR. That says it all pretty much as far as the validity of your opinion on this matter.

Ill stick to the facts thankyou very much.

PMSL.

Correct.

Standing in an offside position is not an offence, once Mings plays at the ball him being in an offside position becomes irrelevant. Rule may suck but was applied correctly. Consistent with the penalty against Liverpool at Anfield a couple of seasons ago after Lovren played the ball.
Or the Wimmer own goal in the NLD with an Arsenal offside player behind him.

Just imagine how many pages this thread would go if it happened to Liverpool. I'm sure there would be many pages claiming it was a wrong decision

Just imagine how many pages this thread would go if it happened to Liverpool. I'm sure there would be many pages claiming it was a wrong decision
There was... the day this happened to them and we drew at Anfield. Also claimed no pen on Van Dijk for kicking Lamela. Funny bunch :D

It would pale into insignificance from the sooking by rival fans about correct VAR decisions being awarded to Liverpool and the multitud3 of deleduded conspiracy theories posted about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back