Premier Lg EPL Matchday 2 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

rumour that kdb needs surgery on his hamstring and that he'll miss the rest of 2023.
Bought him back too early I think. Few minutes at the end of the community shield was the only pre-season he had.

What crap news.

Bought him back too early I think. Few minutes at the end of the community shield was the only pre-season he had.

What crap news.

Sometimes with a hamstring injury the only way to properly test it is to play in a full blooded game. It's a real shame for KDB but hopefully he can get himself right for the second half of the season.

Grealish could take over the KDB role like he played at Villa but Pep seems to limit him to left wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the lack of pre season was a bigger factor. Hard to go from 0-100 for any athlete. There's a good reason why clubs do pre season games.

It's why I didn't understand the big push to scrap pre-season AFL games. The spate of injuries this year surely puts paid to that.

It's why I didn't understand the big push to scrap pre-season AFL games. The spate of injuries this year surely puts paid to that.
That was down to the players as much as the AFL.

Injuries in the AFL are tricky - at this point of the season, some clubs are going through heavier training loads in the lead up to finals etc. We just had 3 players go down with a hamstring, 2 of which who'd never suffered the injury before. It's not coincidence. No amount of pre season games would help that.

Theoretically I don't imagine football clubs go through a heavier training load through the season (although could be wrong).

That was down to the players as much as the AFL.

Injuries in the AFL are tricky - at this point of the season, some clubs are going through heavier training loads in the lead up to finals etc. We just had 3 players go down with a hamstring, 2 of which who'd never suffered the injury before. It's not coincidence. No amount of pre season games would help that.

Theoretically I don't imagine football clubs go through a heavier training load through the season (although could be wrong).

Yeah don't mean injuries now, I mean how many we saw at the start of the year.

Sometimes with a hamstring injury the only way to properly test it is to play in a full blooded game. It's a real shame for KDB but hopefully he can get himself right for the second half of the season.

Grealish could take over the KDB role like he played at Villa but Pep seems to limit him to left wing.
That's because Pep knows his limitations.

Grealish was Villa's player of the season in 2019-20, often playing in a central midfield role.
A central midfielder in a Pep team plays a very different role to the role Grealish played at Villa.

A central midfielder in a Pep team plays a very different role to the role Grealish played at Villa.

Top footballers are pretty adaptable. De Bruyne used to cover a lot of ground between the two penalty areas, often picking up the ball deep and breaking the lines. A bit like Grealish used to do with Villa. Since Haaland arrived De Bruyne's role has been to set up the big Norwegian with goal chances mostly from inside right. At Villa Grealish showed he can play in a number of positions but Pep clearly has him earmarked for left wing only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back