EPL Matchday 2

Yeah apparently Coady encroached. Another trash rule. But in the replays, the keeper didnt have a foot on the line so the commentator was saying they would have pulled him up on that anyways.

Coady?

Trash rule?

Wot?

A re-take for a defending player encroaching in a saved penalty seems overly harsh to me. Maybe an indirect free would be better.

I think it's because if Rice hadn't encroached Aguero feasibly would have got there first and scored. So it's seen as interfering with a goal scoring opportunity.

I've heard if he'd encroached but Fabianski had tipped it out for a corner, it would have just been play on because he wouldn't have impacted the play.

Seems reasonable to me.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I think it's because if Rice hadn't encroached Aguero feasibly would have got there first and scored. So it's seen as interfering with a goal scoring opportunity.

I've heard if he'd encroached but Fabianski had tipped it out for a corner, it would have just been play on because he wouldn't have impacted the play.

Seems reasonable to me.

You are correct. Attacking team encroaching >> penalty saved = no retake. Attacking team encroaching and scoring = retake and vice versa for defending team encroaching.

I thought FIFA brought in new rules where a penalty is either a goal or a goal kick if it is saved (no rebound follow ups).

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
You are correct. Attacking team encroaching >> penalty saved = no retake. Attacking team encroaching and scoring = retake and vice versa for defending team encroaching.

I thought FIFA brought in new rules where a penalty is either a goal or a goal kick if it is saved (no rebound follow ups).
They thought about it but I think people complained. I would prefer that rule myself because it rewards a keeper for saving it.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets

I think it’s only a retake if the encroaching player be it attacker or defender has an impact on the next phase of play.

Really interesting thread on the current situation with offside.

It's right to, if you want to time your run you can't do it to be level with a defender because it's pure luck if a part of your body is ahead of the defender.

So sooner or later people will time their runs to be behind the defender, a pretty negative impact on the game imo.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Yeah apparently Coady encroached. Another trash rule. But in the replays, the keeper didnt have a foot on the line so the commentator was saying they would have pulled him up on that anyways.
Interesting that Adrian made the winning save without a foot on the line yet was allowed to stand. Who knows what the rule is to be honest. They will no doubt just pluck random instances and frustrate the hell out of everyone

Interesting that Adrian made the winning save without a foot on the line yet was allowed to stand. Who knows what the rule is to be honest. They will no doubt just pluck random instances and frustrate the hell out of everyone
I'm pretty sure VAR isn't ruling on keepers being off their line.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
How about just do away with the offside rule, that might work
The ground officials should make a call and VAR can only change the decision if it isn’t debatable. None of this I think he has kicked it here but not sure. If it’s between frames and it is like a close runout call in cricket, the refs call stands. Every decision making process with VAR should be the same. If you need longer than 45 seconds, stay with the refs decision.
In saying this, outside of the offside and goal line technology, VAR should only interfere when it is blatant. No nitpicking ffs.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bournemouth? Really?

What a s**t home game to start with against a shoe-box nothing club who is so out of place in the Premier League it isn't funny. Just a nothing club operating in a big boys league. The quicker them and their 10,000 (worldwide) fans are relegated back to the s**t hole they came from the better.

People go on about Eddie Howe and his attacking football but Villa have the best British manager in the game and if Howe comes to Villa Park with an attacking attitude his team will get smashed.

Villa Park will be a fortress this season. If the refereeing is equitable and luck even semi-conspires in a Villa direction this week then a home win is the only outcome. It could be a score draw but if you're a betting man back the Premier League club, not the League two small piece of s**t Essendon lite club.

Hope Villa win. Not just because I'm a Villa fan but for the Premier League's sake and getting rid of small clubs so real clubs like Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday etc can take their rightful place.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
If Chelsea keep Abraham (tap in merchant, Championship level ceiling) away from anything more than 5 charity minutes on the pitch along with keeping Ross Barkley away from the pitch (has never been any good, won't suddenly become useful, is and always will be an average footballer with nothing meaningful to offer a top 15 side) they will be fine. They were impressive in the first game against United. Should've won on the balance of play. Luck is a bitch sometimes.
Mount looked good - Pulisic will improve over time and with Giroud and Kante starting and Willian soon returning Lampard will have them finishing higher than people expect.

Last edited:
So given Fergie once said Inzaghi was born offside, if no offside rule existed, would Inzaghi never have been born????

source.gif

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Just to reinforce my point about VAR. I didn't wildly celebrate either of Mane's goals last night cos wasn't sure if either was going to be allowed to stand. It's taken all the joy of scoring out of the game. It's a real concern.
Maybe Mane shouldn't be offside so much and you wouldn't have to worry? Like Walcott he's got all that pace and ends up somehow being offside despite being able to round most defenders in 10m.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Just to reinforce my point about VAR. I didn't wildly celebrate either of Mane's goals last night cos wasn't sure if either was going to be allowed to stand. It's taken all the joy of scoring out of the game. It's a real concern.
I don’t disagree with this. After Kane’s winner against Villa, it was heart in mouth time until I’d seen the replay. I do like to see the right decisions though. Especially in a sport decided by the odd goal.

On the flip side it gives you that tiny bit of hope if have been scored against.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AC does have a point about Bournemouth. Their ground isn’t fit for League one

Back