EPL Matchday 22 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt he break the English transfer record like 8 times or something?
I don't know the number of times he broke the English transfer record. Your post was about Ferguson buying the most expensive players in world football.

I don't know the number of times he broke the English transfer record. Your post was about Ferguson buying the most expensive players in world football.
I honestly dont know the numbers but my point was that Fergie never had to complain about someone richer than him buying all the best players haha.

Cos he was the rich team buying all the best players.

I honestly dont know the numbers but my point was that Fergie never had to complain about someone richer than him buying all the best players haha.

We were consistent high spenders up until 2003 when oil clubs started entering football but even before that other clubs where outspending us including the likes of Newcastle, Leeds and Blackburn.

You saying all this shows that Elmers rant was bullshit haha

We were consistent high spenders up until 2003 when oil clubs started entering football but even before that other clubs where outspending us including the likes of Newcastle, Leeds and Blackburn.

You saying all this shows that Elmers rant was bullshit haha
What are you on about? Nobody was ever outspending United before Roman and City. Sure one club might have spent similar or more in one window but it's the consistency of huge signings every summer, year after year after year, that always kept United at the top.

Class of 92?

I wonder how many with a strong opinion on Pele have seen more than the odd highlight of him playing.

I have a fair bit on DVD. There’s stuff out there but for most it’s like watching old black and white AFL matches. Fun for a while unless you are right into it.

Plus there is the commentary from those who played against him.

But I don’t want to get SM started so I’ll leave it there.🤫

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough, I had no idea Cantona, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Dwight York, Stam, Silvestre, Veron, van Nistelrooy, Forlan, Rio Ferdinand, Cristiano Ronaldo, Saha, Wayne Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Van der Sar etc etc etc etc were part of the Class of 92.

😂
Hold the presses.

Club supplements its youth academy integration with external transfers.

More news at 6.

I have a fair bit on DVD. There’s stuff out there but for most it’s like watching old black and white AFL matches. Fun for a while unless you are right into it.

SM is just salty that Pele never played for Hull. Imagine him gracing the fields of Yorkshire back in the day.

Hold the presses.

More news at 6.
Happens at every club, just not with the amount of money United used to have.

But then they got caught and richer clubs came along. Such is life.

Fergie had it great for a while though.

I don't have a strong opinion (assume I'm the one Moomba was having a dig at there), I just enjoyed how stirred up you got about it. Plus I liked naming different birds. I just find it funny in general across all sports that players from a long time ago are held in higher regard purely because of how long ago they played and the natural assumption they must be better even though the standards and levels of sport have risen so much over the last 20 years.

Galah.

Yeah fair enough, I had no idea Cantona, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Dwight York, Stam, Silvestre, Veron, van Nistelrooy, Forlan, Rio Ferdinand, Cristiano Ronaldo, Saha, Wayne Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Van der Sar etc etc etc etc were part of the Class of 92.

😂
I'm still missing your point about money. You're making is if we were PSG that came in and bought all the best players. We started from the bottom and worked our way up to success, Fergie always preferred UK talent over any other nationality for at least half of his tenure. Fergie didn't get the war chests as the last 4 managers have had. His most expensive buy was Berbatov for 30 mil, which when doing business with Levy you're always going to overpay.

In terms of breaking the bank as you're trying to make it out to be, when we broke those records the difference wasn't much if you have bothered to look it up or going by what you can remember. You make it sound like we did a PSG and absolutely killed the transfer fee for the likes of Neymar and Mbappe. Neymar set the record at over double what the old record was. Other clubs were spending just as much as us like Blackburn, Newcastle etc. Then the oil rigs came in.

Did you not pay attention in the early 2000s when the Serie A and La liga teams were spending big on players?

Hold the presses.

More news at 6.
Lol god forbid we were successful for so long, to the point where we attracted more fans then came more revenue, but that's our fault.

The club rode off the back of IMO the best manager in history.

I don't have a strong opinion (assume I'm the one Moomba was having a dig at there), I just enjoyed how stirred up you got about it. Plus I liked naming different birds. I just find it funny in general across all sports that players from a long time ago are held in higher regard purely because of how long ago they played and the natural assumption they must be better even though the standards and levels of sport have risen so much over the last 20 years.

Galah.

Now listen you parrot...

Now listen you parrot...

Was funny timing actually, we had a player's event at Hull recently where one of our old players came along as well as one of our current crop, and the older player was asked the best player he played against and said Pele, the young player in the squad was shocked that he'd played against Pele. So I guess if he says Pele was the best who am I to argue with a Hull legend. :)

Now listen you parrot...
family guy cartoons comics GIF

What are you on about? Nobody was ever outspending United before Roman and City. Sure one club might have spent similar or more in one window but it's the consistency of huge signings every summer, year after year after year, that always kept United at the top.

1992/93- Biggest spenders, Blackburn. £8.46m - Biggest signing, Alan Shearer (£3.4m)

1993/94- Biggest spenders, Blackburn. £8.5m - Biggest signing, David Batty (£2.75m)

1994/95- Biggest spenders, Everton. £10.9m - Biggest signing, Duncan Ferguson (£4m)

1995/96- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £24.5m - Biggest signing, Faustino Asprilla (£6.7m)

1996/97- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £17.5m - Biggest signing, Alan Shearer (£15m)

1997/98- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £24.65m - Biggest signing, Gary Speed (£5.5m)

1998/99- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £29.35m - Biggest signing, Dwight Yorke (£12.5m)

1999/00- Biggest spenders, Liverpool. £35.9m - Biggest signing, Emile Heskey (£11m)

2000/01- Biggest spenders, Leeds United. £48.7m - Biggest signing, Rio Ferdinand (£18m)

2001/02- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £58.6m - Biggest signing, Juan Sebastián Verón (£29.1m)

2002/03- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £30.6m - Biggest signing, Rio Ferdinand (£29.1m)

2003/04- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £121.5m - Biggest signing, Damien Duff (£17m)

2004/05- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £94.45m - Biggest signing, Didier Drogba (£24m)

2005/06- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £54.4m - Biggest signing, Michael Essien (£24.4m)

2006/07- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £56.5m - Biggest signing, Andriy Shevchenko (£30.8m)

2007/08- Biggest spenders, Liverpool. £69.3m - Biggest signing, Fernando Torres (£20m)

2008/09- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £119.35m - Biggest signing, Robinho (£32.5m)

2009/10- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £125.5m - Biggest signing, Carlos Tevez (£25.5m)

2010/11- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £152m - Biggest signing, Edin Džeko (£27m)

2011/12- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £79.2m - Biggest signing, Juan Mata (£23.5m)

2012/13- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £86.1m - Biggest signing, Eden Hazard (£32m)

2013/14- Biggest spenders, Tottenham. £109m - Biggest signing, Érik Lamela (£30m)

2014/15- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £147.2m - Biggest signing, Ángel di María (£59.7m)

2015/16- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £149.6m - Biggest signing, Kevin de Bruyne (£55m)

2016/17- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £171.5m - Biggest signing, John Stones (£47.5m)

2017/18- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £278.7m - Biggest signing, Aymeric Laporte (£57m)

2018/19- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £186.1m - Biggest signing, Alisson (£56m)

2019/20- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £192.6m - Biggest signing, Harry Maguire (£80m)

2020/21- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £222.5m - Biggest signing, Kai Havertz (£72m)

There you go Jodly :)

1992/93- Biggest spenders, Blackburn. £8.46m - Biggest signing, Alan Shearer (£3.4m)

1993/94- Biggest spenders, Blackburn. £8.5m - Biggest signing, David Batty (£2.75m)

1994/95- Biggest spenders, Everton. £10.9m - Biggest signing, Duncan Ferguson (£4m)

1995/96- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £24.5m - Biggest signing, Faustino Asprilla (£6.7m)

1996/97- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £17.5m - Biggest signing, Alan Shearer (£15m)

1997/98- Biggest spenders, Newcastle. £24.65m - Biggest signing, Gary Speed (£5.5m)

1998/99- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £29.35m - Biggest signing, Dwight Yorke (£12.5m)

1999/00- Biggest spenders, Liverpool. £35.9m - Biggest signing, Emile Heskey (£11m)

2000/01- Biggest spenders, Leeds United. £48.7m - Biggest signing, Rio Ferdinand (£18m)

2001/02- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £58.6m - Biggest signing, Juan Sebastián Verón (£29.1m)

2002/03- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £30.6m - Biggest signing, Rio Ferdinand (£29.1m)

2003/04- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £121.5m - Biggest signing, Damien Duff (£17m)

2004/05- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £94.45m - Biggest signing, Didier Drogba (£24m)

2005/06- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £54.4m - Biggest signing, Michael Essien (£24.4m)

2006/07- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £56.5m - Biggest signing, Andriy Shevchenko (£30.8m)

2007/08- Biggest spenders, Liverpool. £69.3m - Biggest signing, Fernando Torres (£20m)

2008/09- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £119.35m - Biggest signing, Robinho (£32.5m)

2009/10- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £125.5m - Biggest signing, Carlos Tevez (£25.5m)

2010/11- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £152m - Biggest signing, Edin Džeko (£27m)

2011/12- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £79.2m - Biggest signing, Juan Mata (£23.5m)

2012/13- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £86.1m - Biggest signing, Eden Hazard (£32m)

2013/14- Biggest spenders, Tottenham. £109m - Biggest signing, Érik Lamela (£30m)

2014/15- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £147.2m - Biggest signing, Ángel di María (£59.7m)

2015/16- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £149.6m - Biggest signing, Kevin de Bruyne (£55m)

2016/17- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £171.5m - Biggest signing, John Stones (£47.5m)

2017/18- Biggest spenders, Manchester City. £278.7m - Biggest signing, Aymeric Laporte (£57m)

2018/19- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £186.1m - Biggest signing, Alisson (£56m)

2019/20- Biggest spenders, Manchester United. £192.6m - Biggest signing, Harry Maguire (£80m)

2020/21- Biggest spenders, Chelsea. £222.5m - Biggest signing, Kai Havertz (£72m)

There you go Jodly :)

I'm sure this has come up before from him and he still lets himself get smacked down with facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back