EPL Matchday 22 - On Optus Sport

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
In one off games in a cup competition. Calm down bro. Haha.

You're talking like you actually think Fergie could manage Brentford to the league title next season in his pomp.
It was in the same year of the European cup comp in 1983 please do your research. I know it's hard but you can do it.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
It was in the same year of the European cup comp in 1983 please do your research. I know it's hard but you can do it.
What are you talking about? I'm aware of when it was. In 1983, the final of the now defunct cup winners cup. Again as I said, a one off game against Real Madrid. Also I feel you are trying to argue that Fergie was great, which we all know he was, I havent been arguing that.

I've been pointing out that United were the richest club in England for two decades and that greatly helped them dominate England for two decades.

Then they werent the richest anymore and now they suck. The lesson? Be rich and you too can win at football.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
It’s hilarious you keep going with us despite being proven wrong on the initial argument, which was United spent more and got the best players every time before Chelsea/City arrived, and that clearly wasn’t the case. Sure, United had money, no United fan is disputing that.

I’m happy for this back and fourth to end, it’s been a fun read 😀

They sure did, they had heaps of sh*t players in that team like Rooney, Van Persie, Berbatov, DDG, Giggs, Ferdinand, Evra, Vidic, Young, Hernandez, Carrick, Scholes, Kagawa... How did he do it?!

Err. Way to miss the point. Like usual.

in fairness our domination probably lays squarely at the feet of pep. once he leaves we'll come back to the pack

That's impossible mate it's just the $$s you're spending. I could manage them to the title.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Is this his 3rd or 4th PL medal coming up? Your dominance certainly has taken off in the PL since Pep has been in charge.
4th. i know good players help (obviously) but there's a reason why guys like him are so desired. most teams are beaten before the game starts really, opposing managers dont think they can beat him. happened with ferguson, mourinho, the best managers are those kinds.

That's impossible mate it's just the $$s you're spending. I could manage them to the title.
i was going to call you pepino for little pep but apparently that means cucumber.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, AUFC, South Adelaide, Pompey
What are you talking about? I'm aware of when it was. In 1983, the final of the now defunct cup winners cup. Again as I said, a one off game against Real Madrid. Also I feel you are trying to argue that Fergie was great, which we all know he was, I havent been arguing that.

I've been pointing out that United were the richest club in England for two decades and that greatly helped them dominate England for two decades.

Then they werent the richest anymore and now they suck. The lesson? Be rich and you too can win at football.
by that logic Newcastle should be unstoppable within a couple of years just like City are atm

Well yeah… I think that’s widely acknowledged no? Them getting relegated only delays it for a bit longer.
If they get relegated I wouldn't even be convinced of them winning the championship.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
4th. i know good players help (obviously) but there's a reason why guys like him are so desired. most teams are beaten before the game starts really, opposing managers dont think they can beat him. happened with ferguson, mourinho, the best managers are those kinds.

i was going to call you pepino for little pep but apparently that means cucumber.
Pep may spend a lot, but he undoubtedly makes all players he manages better.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Huh? When did I argue against Fergie. I've said multiple time he is the GOAT manager. Just helps that he had all that money and managed the biggest club in England at the time for two decades.

And you were quite clearly the richest club in England in the 90's and 00's. Then Chelsea came along in the mid 00's and took over and then City came and decimated everybody.

How come Leeds, Blackburn and Newcastle havent broken the the English transfer record like 12 times like United have.

This is actually hilarious that all you United fans seem to think your dominance wasnt hugely helped by the fact you were richer than everyone else. Haha.
Ferguson broke the transfer record 3 times. Andy Cole, Seba Veron and Rio Ferdinand. You are way off here.

Have you forgotten Jack Walker funding Blackburn as they bought the likes of Shearer, Sutton and Tim Flowers.

Newcastle spent a shitload of cash in the 90s including buying Shearer for £15m.

Leeds bankrupted themselves by overspending. The common theme with the first 2 clubs is their managers having meltdowns against Fergie and then falling away.

We may have been the richest club in the 90s but didn't spend the most and were for 3 seasons in the 2000s. From 03/04 onwards we were nowhere near it, especially with the Glazers buying United in 2005. We replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Valencia and Owen ffs

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
by that logic Newcastle should be unstoppable within a couple of years just like City are atm

When you have unlimited money you can buy s**t players, turf them and buy more. The normal principles of business dont apply. Any club will eventually get success when financial backing provided by a state is ongoing and perpetual. It may be a few years or it may be 6 to 7 but it will definitely happen barring an alternative to oil being found.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

I'm aware of you're ridiculous point, you seem to be missing mine.

Fergie never spent as much as other managers did in transfer windows he prided himself on developing young talent whether from our youth academy or scouting a CR7. But the money is one factor you still have to be a good manager to get the best out of great and somewhat decent players.

With some exceptions to top up the squad like a ruud van nistelrooy a young CR7 who replaced Beckham. Young Rooney but these weren't so expensive buys none of these guys was more than 20 mil. Like ffs Berbatov who was quality was Fergies highest transfer. Vidic cost us 1.2 mil.

Our club became rich purely off the success of Fergie, yeah in the busby days we were good but not like Pool good in those days who were the dominant force in that era.

I don't get why you're still trying to argue a losing battle, like I said previously you make it sound as if we were PSG of the old era and so many of us are saying we weren't and have laid out the facts in front of you. Like what be rich and you can win football? how many CLs do City have? PSG have? Like wtf are talking about, come on jod you have an obligation to make sense of what you write.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It’s hilarious you keep going with us despite being proven wrong on the initial argument, which was United spent more and got the best players every time before Chelsea/City arrived, and that clearly wasn’t the case. Sure, United had money, no United fan is disputing that.

I’m happy for this back and fourth to end, it’s been a fun read 😀
I'm entertained at the fact that he enjoys speaking about united more than his own team.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Err yeah.... obviously.

United fans are delusional.

Money rules football. If you have the most money, you win all the trophies. That's how it works. United fans can harp on about Fergie and yes he was great, the greatest in fact. But the greatest managers do not manage Swindon Town and Forest Green. Believe it or not, all the best managers end up at the richest clubs. It's a cycle.

Richest club in Germany? Bayern. They have 9 league titles in a row and 10 of the last 12.
Richest club in France? PSG. They have won 7 of the 9 league titles.
Richest club in Italy? Juventus. Won 9 of the last 10 league title including 9 in a row.
Richest club in England? City*. On course to win their 4th league title in 5 years.

United were the richest club in England for 20 years until Chelsea came along, and then City.

There has been 29 league titles available since the Premier League and the money rush happened. United won 13, Chelsea have 5 and City have 5. 23 out of a possible 29 have been won by the richest club.

Unsure what United fans dont understand.

*Newcastle technically but they are a few years off dominating.

Back