EPL Matchday 22 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Ferguson broke the transfer record 3 times. Andy Cole, Seba Veron and Rio Ferdinand. You are way off here.

Have you forgotten Jack Walker funding Blackburn as they bought the likes of Shearer, Sutton and Tim Flowers.

Newcastle spent a shitload of cash in the 90s including buying Shearer for £15m.

Leeds bankrupted themselves by overspending. The common theme with the first 2 clubs is their managers having meltdowns against Fergie and then falling away.

We may have been the richest club in the 90s but didn't spend the most and were for 3 seasons in the 2000s. From 03/04 onwards we were nowhere near it, especially with the Glazers buying United in 2005. We replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Valencia and Owen ffs
You mentioning moment in time. Not year after year of spending, that's what you dont get. Yes I remember Walker and Blackburn, he bankrolled them to one PL title. But it wasnt consistent spends over 15 years. Leeds the same, Newcastle the same. Plenty of teams outspent United in one window etc but its the consistent high end spending that United did over 15-20 years that made them win everything. That and you bought well and you had Fergie.

I dont get why you're arguing it either, because that's just how football works. You guys were just lucky enough to be at the top of the money pile for a while. Embrace it.

It's not just breaking the English transfer record though either, as I've said it's consistent buys. But I feel im talking to a brick wall on this one. So let's just move on.

Stop it. It's embarrassing.

Embrace the money. Money makes you the best. Whoever has the most money wins at football. That's the truth. You can buck the trend in moments, cup competitions or crazy league titles like Liverpool and Leicester recently but by and large, if you have the most money, you win.

Manchester United were easily the richest club in England for 20 years and you massively profited off it by buying all the best players and winning heaps of trophies.

All this coming from nothing, starting form the bottom and working you way up is nonsense.

You were the richest. You won most of the time. Then you werent the richest anymore and now you dont win. The end.

You are correct.

I am plenty embarrassed for you.

You mentioning moment in time. Not year after year of spending, that's what you dont get. Yes I remember Walker and Blackburn, he bankrolled them to one PL title. But it wasnt consistent spends over 15 years. Leeds the same, Newcastle the same. Plenty of teams outspent United in one window etc but its the consistent high end spending that United did over 15-20 years that made them win everything. That and you bought well and you had Fergie.

I dont get why you're arguing it either, because that's just how football works. You guys were just lucky enough to be at the top of the money pile for a while. Embrace it.

It's not just breaking the English transfer record though either, as I've said it's consistent buys. But I feel im talking to a brick wall on this one. So let's just move on.
You're being a fool and have lost every argument you have made about us starting with breaking world transfer records to breaking the British record 12 times now to this tripe which a quick Internet search would tell you was wrong.

The salary budget matters more than the transfer budget. It's the ability to attract and retain multiple genuine stars competing for the same position that sets the tone, there is always an exception to the rule, but the rule is total salary spend (or average per player) is the best indicator of success. Which makes it all the funnier how poorly United is performing.

The salary budget matters more than the transfer budget. It's the ability to attract and retain multiple genuine stars competing for the same position that sets the tone, there is always an exception to the rule, but the rule is total salary spend (or average per player) is the best indicator of success. Which makes it all the funnier how poorly United is performing.

Not a lot of that period were United clear top dog. Always high up however.

Not a lot of that period were United clear top dog. Always high up however.

Fair enough but at least for the petro-club period, they are second or thereabouts. I always find it funny when ex-pat supporters of these wealthy clubs try and convince me it's a culture that breeds success...lol. I suppose in the United case, it's their culture that is breeding the current mediocrity, though an exception to the overall rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back