EPL Matchday 24

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just a popularity contest. The press and club PR departments will push someone forward and half the players will just go with that.

Looks like Henderson this year.
Who should have won the award last year? Laporte?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wasn't he up against Robertson?

Agree with the common taters that he has improved his final ball. That clipped cross while running at full pelt was delicious. I wonder if he will take up Spain's offer if they call him up again, or will he play for Mali in the African Nations in April.
Early on he was roasting TAA, but he was popping up on both sides there after, in fact all over the park.

Most improved player over the last few years for me

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nine times out of ten the seasons standout player bags the award. If there is no particularly standout player then you get the odd year that a media darling wins it, like that year Giggs did for example. The whole Liverpool team have stood out, so who to give it to? Maybe the captain is the thinking here. Had KDB kept his early season form going he’d probably have been a shoe-in but at this stage it would be wrong not to award it to a Liverpool player

It's just a popularity contest. The press and club PR departments will push someone forward and half the players will just go with that.

Surely that cant happen.

He could possibly be in the team of the year but is no chance of player of the year. I mean he hasnt even been the best CM at Liverpool this year

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Nine times out of ten the seasons standout player bags the award. If there is no particularly standout player then you get the odd year that a media darling wins it, like that year Giggs did for example. The whole Liverpool team have stood out, so who to give it to? Maybe the captain is the thinking here. Had KDB kept his early season form going he’d probably have been a shoe-in but at this stage it would be wrong not to award it to a Liverpool player
KDB to win it but the team of the year will be dominated by Liverpool players

FWIW I'd have Mane as the standout so far.
at Liverpool or in the whole league?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Just an opinion, the standout teams back then were obviously Arsenal and United. Chelsea and Liverpool rounded out the "big 4" as it was known. I feel its much more competitive now, any team on their day can cause an upset if you're a little bit off your game. I don't recall so many teams being separated by so few points as it now seems to be from that 4/5th position to say 12th/13th.
It's much more competitive in the middle, but no one cares about that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not convinced that a Liverpool player should be POTY at this stage. Our success has been built off even contribution from a large number of players in our squad. I would say that we could feasibly have more than half of the top ten (if such a ranking was to be made), but that De Bruyne has been the league's most outstanding player thus far. If it was to be a Liverpool player, I think Mane is the most likely but even he has cooled off of late - whereas De Bruyne is going to comfortably break the assists record and score a fair few goals too.

I think the 2017-18 season sets a similar precedent, when Salah won the award despite City having the greatest season in Premier League history. Although Salah's season was probably a level above what De Bruyne is doing this season, it does show that record breaking teams don't necessarily automatically also collect all the individual awards.

Surely Mané cannot win it when is is no where near the golden boot

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Surely Mané cannot win it when is is no where near the golden boot

Goals don't tell the whole story though obviously. Statistically he's top 10 in both goals and assists, which is still notable but coupled with his ability to impose himself on games for Liverpool I think he would be our standout candidate at this stage. It's a moot point now though, given he's probably going to spend the next few weeks out injured effectively ruling him out of any individual awards I imagine.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn

Seems like a rather glib dismissal, or at least a critique which is out of date. The last five winners of the award have been van Dijk (18/19), Salah (17/18), Kante (16/17), Mahrez (15/16) and Hazard (14/15). At face value all of these seem like very worthy winners, and hardly deserving of the label of a 'popularity contest'.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Depends how the rest of the season goes. If we do the Invincibles/Centurions double then surely you just have to give it to a Liverpool player.

No idea who though as everyone contributes. Mane and VVD probably slightly ahead of the rest. Salah, Hendo, TAA, Firmino, Alisson.

We should dominate the team to the year too. I'd guess 7-8 of the 11.

It is kind of strange Wolves have only won 8 games - they were bloody good this morning

I think they said on the coverage that Wolves have only beaten 2 of the top 15 teams or some crazy stat like that.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just an opinion, the standout teams back then were obviously Arsenal and United. Chelsea and Liverpool rounded out the "big 4" as it was known. I feel its much more competitive now, any team on their day can cause an upset if you're a little bit off your game. I don't recall so many teams being separated by so few points as it now seems to be from that 4/5th position to say 12th/13th.

I suspect there would be more English clubs in the top 10-20 for overall revenue than there were back then, meaning greater purchasing power for English clubs relative to other sides across Europe to pay the transfer fees and wages required to sign high quality talent.

While at the very top end of the league the quality is probably comparable, my sense is the 5th and 6th teams might be a little bit stronger now, but there’s definitely a more even spread of talent in the middle and bottom half of the ladder than there was back then, particularly since the last TV deal kicked in.

In short, the big top of the table clashes are as tough as they ever were, but there are probably more banana skins in the middle and bottom half of the table than there were in the early-mid 00s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back