EPL Matchday 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
I think they need legitimate back up full backs, to rotate Andy and Trent. I'm not sure how sustainable their football is over multiple seasons.
i dont think it can be. it asks for such consistency, skill and endurance. we will probably still end up on a pretty decent points total this season but still finish 10+ points behind. maybe each club that plays like this has that one season where absolutely everything just clicks to a freakish level.

I think they need legitimate back up full backs, to rotate Andy and Trent. I'm not sure how sustainable their football is over multiple seasons.
Milner I reckon is good as a backup LB but the problem is he's 34.

Gomez and Hoever as the backup RBs I don't like, they are CBs IMO. If we can develop Neco Williams he can be an attacking RB like Arnold. Clyne is not in the conversation because I think his contract is about to run out and he'll leave.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Also I reckon what RCPB was inferring is that once a new season starts the previous one is forgotten very quickly. Again case in point is City, everyone is talking about how great Liverpool are and City have become almost forgotten. It’s not like the World Cup where you get to dine out on it for four years

I think people move on quickly because they’re too busy being optimistic about what the new season will bring to dwell on what happened the year before. Even City fans after a month or so of reflection last summer would’ve been pumped about what they could achieve in 2019/20.

What’s different about the City side of 2017-19 compared to most other title winners is that with the benefit of hindsight when we’re stacking up all time great sides of English football, they will (or should) be in that conversation and considered near the top of the pile, so in that sense I don’t think they’ll be forgotten for a long time.

Hopefully if this Liverpool side can continue racking up trophies to go with this incredible undefeated streak they can also be considered in a similar light.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing about football moving on fast, which it does, is that I also don't think Liverpool winning the league will be nearly as bad as opposition fans fear. If anything it might even be a cleansing experience for some.

I remember I really didn't want Chelsea to win the Champions League in 2012, the thought of seeing them lift the trophy was horrible. But then they did it and honestly it wasn't that bad, and it probably made me grow up a bit in the sense that worrying and caring about things like that is a waste of time.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The thing about football moving on fast, which it does, is that I also don't think Liverpool winning the league will be nearly as bad as opposition fans fear. If anything it might even be a cleansing experience for some.

I remember I really didn't want Chelsea to win the Champions League in 2012, the thought of seeing them lift the trophy was horrible. But then they did it and honestly it wasn't that bad, and it probably made me grow up a bit in the sense that worrying and caring about things like that is a waste of time.
Absolutely. If football is causing you sleepless nights worrying then really you’re taking it far too seriously. There’s always going to be some envy involved, but it shouldn’t go anywhere near beyond that. I’d imagine we are all primarily focussed on our own teams anyway, and even then you shouldn’t spend much time if any worrying about it because it’s all out of your control. Liverpool finally breaking their drought just deprives other fans of easy banter, but they’ve still got spurs to fall back on for that - and a host of other teams for that matter.

Apologies for going heavy but at the end of the day keeping a roof over your head and putting food on the table are things that you should worry about. Personal objectives and goals and caring for friends and family are other things that can cause stress. Football does not compare. If it does, then something is going awry for you

Absolutely. If football is causing you sleepless nights worrying then really you’re taking it far too seriously. There’s always going to be some envy involved, but it shouldn’t go anywhere near beyond that. I’d imagine we are all primarily focussed on our own teams anyway, and even then you shouldn’t spend much time if any worrying about it because it’s all out of your control. Liverpool finally breaking their drought just deprives other fans of easy banter, but they’ve still got spurs to fall back on for that - and a host of other teams for that matter.

Apologies for going heavy but at the end of the day keeping a roof over your head and putting food on the table are things that you should worry about. Personal objectives and goals and caring for friends and family are other things that can cause stress. Football does not compare. If it does, then something is going awry for you

I hope you'll be able to take your own advice, going forward. You seem to get very obsessed with Liverpool's results and fans sometimes.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope you'll be able to take your own advice, going forward. You seem to get very obsessed with Liverpool's results and fans sometimes.
It’s all banter SM. After all these years I don’t think there is anyone on here who understands me less than you, despite our frequent exchanges

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
It’s up to other teams to step up. Dominating for years is not so easy now as in past eras for a variety of reasons. It’s only two years ago that City we’re winning the league by 20+ points, now they’re going to be 20+ points behind you. That’s what is meant by football moving fast these days. Yesterday’s heroes become tomorrow’s zeroes
Fair enough but with Klopp in charge I don't think we're going anywhere for some time.

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool

I had the same thoughts regarding Richmond in the AFL. There was so much joy and banter reveling in their 37 year drought that I dreaded them winning it in 2017 especially as they are my teams most fiercest rival. However they won deservedly and it wasn't that bad. Lets just hope they don't make a habit of it.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

When I was younger I would be devastated whenever a rival would win a title and stress about results and whatnot. But I’d say that United being bad the last few years has been humbling and I no longer stress about other teams winning titles. I have my preferences of course, such as backing Spurs in the CL final but I wasn’t beside myself when Liverpool won it and I am not beside myself that they’re so far ahead in the league and will win it.

And when Liverpool do win it, the world won’t come to an end. There will just be another season a few months later with quotes from Liverpool’s players and manager ahead of the new campaign saying that they’ve moved on and want to win another title. That’s how it should be for fans too, always thinking about the following season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
It's just sport at the end of the day.

Much more important things in life.

I find it weird that some obsess over other clubs as much as they do their own. I guess it would be different if I lived in England, but if Pool/United/Arsenal/City win it and not us it all feels the same.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
there will likely be a drop off, like we had this season. it's a lot of high intensity football, going deep into competitions. his dortmund side got burnt out, it will be interesting to see if he avoids it this time around.
He needs to avoid burning himself out too, hes such a fullon character.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find it weird that some obsess over other clubs as much as they do their own. I guess it would be different if I lived in England, but if Pool/United/Arsenal/City win it and not us it all feels the same.
The world has shrunk because of the internet and mass media in general. Some people don’t feel rivalries as keenly as others do though no matter where you live

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’ve enjoyed this thread, the forum is progressing through the stages far quicker than I anticipated.

FC10CCFE-8524-42D5-9530-D0D05B974C2E.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back