EPL Matchday 29

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Who gives a ****, a goal is a goal and when it’s that marginal it can happen. The ref tried to even it out anyway and they screwed it up so no shits are given by me
well we gotta discuss something until the big one tonight, the west london derby

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Mustafi is there because Kane is there. How often do you see defenders criticised for losing their man on a set piece.

The fact that Kane was there caused probably two or three defenders into the positions they were in.

Kane is allowed to be in that position. After all another onside player may end up heading it back to him for a goal (no offside offence).

If he plays the ball first and is then fouled = offside.

If he gets fouled prior to playing the ball = penalty.

Kane is allowed to be in that position. After all another onside player may end up heading it back to him for a goal (no offside offence).

If he plays the ball first and is then fouled = offside.

If he gets fouled prior to playing the ball = penalty.
He's offside as soon as the ball is kicked. He's moving towards the ball in an attempt to play the ball. He is impacting on the defenders. It's offside.

Personally think that it shouldn't matter whether you're moving towards or attempting to play the ball on a set piece. You have to be gaining an adbatnage, and imo unfairly. But that wasn't the case here.

How many times to we see a ball punted long and an attacker blown up for offside as soon as he starts to run towards the ball. This was the interpretation publicised a couple of years ago. I can't remember a time when you actually had to play the ball before being called offside.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
He's offside as soon as the ball is kicked. He's moving towards the ball in an attempt to play the ball. He is impacting on the defenders. It's offside.

Personally think that it shouldn't matter whether you're moving towards or attempting to play the ball on a set piece. You have to be gaining an adbatnage, and imo unfairly. But that wasn't the case here.

How many times to we see a ball punted long and an attacker blown up for offside as soon as he starts to run towards the ball. This was the interpretation publicised a couple of years ago. I can't remember a time when you actually had to play the ball before being called offside.

He is not offside as soon as the ball is kicked. If the ball is kicked and another onside player then heads it back for him to score the goal stands. Most of the time now linesman wait until the ball is played before flagging. That's how they are now trained. The Ifab rule actually specifically states when a player is fouled before he plays the ball a foul is awarded. Not sure how much clearer that can be.

He is not offside as soon as the ball is kicked. If the ball is kicked and another onside player then heads it back for him to score the goal stands. Most of the time now linesman wait until the ball is played before flagging. That's how they are now trained. The Ifab rule actually specifically states when a player is fouled before he plays the ball a foul is awarded. Not sure how much clearer that can be.
I hope Everton score an "offside" winner today, just to see the mental acrobatics.

If he's moving towards the ball, attempting to play the ball, or influencing the actions of an opponent and someone heads it on for him to score he's still offside.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I hope Everton score an "offside" winner today, just to see the mental acrobatics.

If he's moving towards the ball, attempting to play the ball, or influencing the actions of an opponent and someone heads it on for him to score he's still offside.

Absolutely not offside in the case of another onside player heading the ball back to a player who was in an offside position when the initial free kick was played. That's a whole new phase of play and the exact reason why fouls are penalised before offside under the laws of the game.

Absolutely not offside in the case of another onside player heading the ball back to a player who was in an offside position when the initial free kick was played. That's a whole new phase of play and the exact reason why fouls are penalised before offside under the laws of the game.
It's offside if he's active. It's not if he isn't.

Just like if Kane was fouled yesterday when he wasn't active it would have been a fair decision.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It's offside if he's active. It's not if he isn't.

Just like if Kane was fouled yesterday

Incorrect. Highlighted for your benefit below from Law 11: Offside
  • a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

It was the correct decision, Kane was moving towards the ball with the intention of playing it but was fouled prior to doing so. Exactly the scenario in law 11 which stipulates the foul is penalised.

The penalty call against Schalke was 100% correct for this very reason also.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm in disbelief how piss weak Aubameyang's penalty attempt was?

Typically merseyside derbies are a minimum 4pts for Liverpool throughout the season. But this season the points are more valuable than normal. I wonder if it's a rare case of squeaky bum time for Liverpool in a Merseyside derby?

Yes, Auba didn't seem too confident in his run up. Penalties are a simple business, pick a corner and hit it hard. None of this piss farting about you see these days.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I also enjoy writing many posts about why relatively straightforward and easy to understand rules are very complicated and only I am able to interpret them correctly. This is a very normal thing to spend time on.

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cabellero loses his spot after keeping a clean sheet and playing well. He would rightfully think he had done enough to keep his place..
but he is instantly dropped next game for the keeper who refused to be subbed.
I had some sympathy for Sarri , but not now. Dude has clown man management skills.

Cabellero loses his spot after keeping a clean sheet and playing well. He would rightfully think he had done enough to keep his place..
but he is instantly dropped next game for the keeper who refused to be subbed.
I had some sympathy for Sarri , but not now. Dude has clown man management skills.

I understand the making a stand call by dropping him, but it means he stays dropped until he outperforms the keeper given a starting role. Willy should have stayed in the starting 11 until he had a bad game or made a big mistake

It's not that hard to understand moomba. Just let it go.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I'll make my own mind up when I'll discuss things and when I won't.

If it's not hard to understand, and that is now to be considered onside (despite the IFAB guidelines making it fairly obvious to me that it's not) then the way the game has been reffed for years will now change

I suspect also we'll start seeing clubs set up screens in offside positions to stop defenders challenging.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Fulham have been better this game, just so frail defensively still though, Nordveit and Ream with Odoi as a right back just isn't a credible defense at the Premier League level.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Utterly incorrect. Law 11 specifically states that the foul is penalised because there is no offside offence until the ball is played.

http://www.theifab.com/laws/offside/chapters/offside-offence

• a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

Your claim that a player cannot be fouled in an offside position is blatantly incorrect. They aren't offside until they have played the ball and there is a good reason for this particular rule eg a long ball is played into the box, player a in an offside position doesn't play the ball while player b does, heads it down to player a who then scores. It would be completely unfair if a defender was allowed to take out player a in that scenario because they were in an offside position.

You also go on to say that there would be a foul and a red card awarded if a violent conduct incident occurred. You should also be aware if you are a referee that all violent conducts are penalised with a foul in the location where they occur if the ball is in play. So there absolutely would be a penalty awarded in the scenario you described. There would be no penalty awarded if the violent conduct occurred before the set piece was taken.

Further to this discussion the exact same scenario occurred in the champions league tie between Schalke and Man City. After VAR referral a penalty was correctly awarded because the offside attacker was fouled before he played the ball. See link for further clarificaiton

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=2593061.html

You might want to do a refresher course on refereeing btw with your claim that a defender can do what they want to an opponent in an offside position and not be penalised for it. Simply not true.

http://www.espn.com.au/football/eng...ffside-before-winning-penalty-against-arsenal

If professional referees and both the The Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) and Premier League Match Centre for Media are saying it should have been offside then it's not utterly incorrect.

Its a grey area that needs to be properly clarified.

Back