EPL Matchday 29

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who knows football can easily tell VVD is going to be elite for years. No one thought that about Phillips. Some people on here need to pull their head out their arses
He may well be a PL great in 18-24 months time. Currently he is a 27 year old who has played 13 months of elite PL football. Guys like Rio were dominating CBs in their mid 20s while this bloke was kicking a ball in the backwater leagues in Scotland

**** me you’d be telling us a different story if he was at Man Utd. Pogba hadn’t even kicked a ball in the PL and he was the greatest midfielder of all time I do recall...

Now you’re just making stuff up. I don’t recall anyone calling Pogba the greatest midfielders of all time. But this is the Internet where people make up narratives. Come this summer we will see a lot of this happen

Manchester United supporter: “I am so happy we bought [insert name], we needed a centre back and he is a very good one”.

3 months later

Liverpool supporters: “That United signing has made a mistake, remember when those idiot supporters were calling him the greatest centre back in the world when they bought him? Haha, what idiots!!! Lulz”.

He may well be a PL great in 18-24 months time. Currently he is a 27 year old who has played 13 months of elite PL football. Guys like Rio were dominating CBs in their mid 20s while this bloke was kicking a ball in the backwater leagues in Scotland
He’s already a PL great. If I could pick any central defender from the PL era it would be him. Honestly he’s that good

Utterly incorrect. Law 11 specifically states that the foul is penalised because there is no offside offence until the ball is played.

http://www.theifab.com/laws/offside/chapters/offside-offence

• a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

Your claim that a player cannot be fouled in an offside position is blatantly incorrect. They aren't offside until they have played the ball and there is a good reason for this particular rule eg a long ball is played into the box, player a in an offside position doesn't play the ball while player b does, heads it down to player a who then scores. It would be completely unfair if a defender was allowed to take out player a in that scenario because they were in an offside position.

You also go on to say that there would be a foul and a red card awarded if a violent conduct incident occurred. You should also be aware if you are a referee that all violent conducts are penalised with a foul in the location where they occur if the ball is in play. So there absolutely would be a penalty awarded in the scenario you described. There would be no penalty awarded if the violent conduct occurred before the set piece was taken.

Further to this discussion the exact same scenario occurred in the champions league tie between Schalke and Man City. After VAR referral a penalty was correctly awarded because the offside attacker was fouled before he played the ball. See link for further clarificaiton

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=2593061.html

You might want to do a refresher course on refereeing btw with your claim that a defender can do what they want to an opponent in an offside position and not be penalised for it. Simply not true.

He was offside. You cannot incur a foul while offside as you are literally influencing play while offside. That's one of the key requirements for being considered offside.

This isn't questioning what he has done this season. Just saying it's all premature. Would be like United fans saying Rashford is already a PL great ST. Sure he has the talent to become one and probably will be considered one in 2-3 years time but just calling it out on potential and 1 good season is very 2019/instant gratification mode. The old saying "would rather be first than right" is never more true with outlandish early calls like this lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows if you were or not. Just know that he also had an amazing 12-18 months so wouldn't surprise me one bit
Well I can tell you I didn’t. I wasn’t even saying it about Kane after two seasons because despite his exploits I could see weaknesses - but he’s actually turned out better than I thought he would. Happy to be pulled up and written off as knowing * all if VVD is a one season wonder though cos I know he won’t be. Pretty sure he will only improve in fact.

Well I can tell you I didn’t. I wasn’t even saying it about Kane after two seasons because despite his exploits I could see weaknesses - but he’s actually turned out better than I thought he would. Happy to be pulled up and written off as knowing **** all if VVD is a one season wonder though cos I know he won’t be. Pretty sure he will only improve in fact.
Is this the first season you've watched of his?

Where were these calls in the past 4-5 years? And if they weren't obvious is it because he has improved massively out of sight just now and you think he still has even more improvement in him at 27?

Yeah this matchday thread is a bit of a mess.
Chef you need to join in discussing teams other than your own - that’s what the club boards are for. There’s a football world outside of Chelsea you know...

Is this the first season you've watched of his?

Where were these calls in the past 4-5 years? And if they weren't obvious is it because he has improved massively out of sight just now and you think he still has even more improvement in him at 27?
I think most were aware of him that’s why he cost a world record fee for a defender wouldn’t you think?

Would rather be on top at the beginning of March than the beginning of January

What would be more embarrassing. Klopp blaming the wind for drawing with Everton (Marco Silva can blame the wind for drawing with Liverpool. Just saying) or Klopp arguing with a 7 year old ball ball?

Chef you need to join in discussing teams other than your own - that’s what the club boards are for. There’s a football world outside of Chelsea you know...

You cannot ban him Chef. He didn’t call you cumridden like some people might.

You cannot ban him Chef. He didn’t call you cumridden like some people might.
Chef’s a good guy, but I just wish he’d expand his chat beyond that of Chelsea every now and then. Same with Moomba, never shuts up about city. Sorry I’m just in one of my campaignerish moods today

Sol Campbell was a ******* monster. Absolute ******* monster. For a guy that was 6'2 and over 90kgs, he could run at you like a steam train.

Give VVD a few years, he will be in the elite CB category of PL defenders. If he continues on this trajectory there is absolutely every chance he gets there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back