EPL Matchday 3 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm presuming that was just tv footage timing. If not, it did seem very quick, almost as if his mind was made up before he saw the footage.

He looked unsighted for the incident so was probably told over the radio that there was a handball and quickly wanted to confirm it himself on the screen.

Anyway I'll walk back my kissed on the dick comments cause I hate arguing refs but frustrating that it probably ruins the spectacle

Have to agree, would rather 11 on 11 for the challenge and entertainment, but ecstatic all the same with the enhanced prospect of the 3 points.

Looking at it again his arm "pushed" away from goal as the ball hit his arm.

It's an instinctive movement for sure, but does look deliberate, even though his intention may have been different.
Looks worse than it is in slow mo. He twists his whole body to scrounge it out. It looks bad because his arm swings. It’s far too harsh to have both the penalty and a red card for something as innocuous as that. That’s the same punishment as a defender sticking his entire arm out in a goalkeeping save. Referee should be using a bit of discretion here imo. Looked at it for half a second and decided to change the entire game.

anyway all that could have been avoided if Alonso didn't head the ball out of Mendy's hands.
Or if Matip had just tapped it in from point blank in the first place.

Looks worse than it is in slow mo. He twists his whole body to scrounge it out. It looks bad because his arm swings. It’s far too harsh to have both the penalty and a red card for something as innocuous as that. That’s the same punishment as a defender sticking his entire arm out in a goalkeeping save. Referee should be using a bit of discretion here imo. Looked at it for half a second and decided to change the entire game.

Agree it's harsh, but others here said intention doesn't matter if the hand/arm stops a certain goal.
Obviously why Taylor didn't need much time to decide when viewing VAR.

Perhaps the rule should be looked at come seasons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the correct decision, it's unlucky but he deliberately moves his hand and forces the ball forward, cos it's going in otherwise.
lol come on take off your rose tinted glasses. Deliberate is a tenuous claim at best.

Correctly adjudicating a s**t rule certainly but deliberate. Nah not having that.. And I hate these little bastards.

Looking at it again his arm "pushed" away from goal as the ball hit his arm.

It's an instinctive movement for sure, but does look deliberate, even though his intention may have been different.
What? It’s hit his arm, bounced off and then he’s moved it. He hasn’t pushed it with his arm at all.

What? It’s hit his arm, bounced off and then he’s moved it. He hasn’t pushed it with his arm at all.

Not what I said, but it's semantics.

Either way, I understand that it's a red regardless of intention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back