EPL Matchday 35

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Magical thinking from some Spurs fans to assume you’ll win all your remaining games, and can afford to be blasé about not taking any points from City. If Arsenal & United win their games in hand tonight Spurs drop to 4th, level with United and 1 point ahead of Chelsea. It’s going to be a hell of a fight for CL places over the next few weeks, every point will mean something and Spurs are now as under the pump as any of their rivals.

It’s great to see the season ending with so many clubs having something to play for.

Last edited:

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Magical thinking from some Spurs fans to assume you’ll win all your remaining games, and can afford to be blasé about not taking any points from City. If Arsenal & United win their games in hand tonight Spurs drop to 4th, level with United and 1 point ahead of Chelsea. It’s going to be a hell of a fight for CL places over the next few weeks, every point will mean something and Spurs are now as under the pump as any of their rivals.

It’s great to see the season ending with so many clubs having something to play for.
If we fail to finish 4th after a 38 game season not getting a point in an away game at the side that finishes first or second isn’t the reason

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I don’t think anyone is assuming that at all. Before the City game we recognised we were in a fight, but the reality is we have 3 games at home in our last four matches and Man City away is the toughest match any team will play this season.

It seems like you are being sour here. As good as Liverpool have been you can’t lay the blame at other teams for not bailing you out

Who the * was being blasé?
I think most just realised that after midweek and a worsening injury list that getting something from City away was a tough ask, and it turned out that way.

Destiny is still in their hands. 3 crap sides at home and the Cherries away.
If top 4 is missed losing/drawing to one of those shittrucks will be worse than not getting a point at the Etihad.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I love when the idiot experts get things completely wrong pre game.

Sherwood - Lucas really needs to settle at spurs he’s been at a lot of clubs now.

He’s actually only been at 2 pre joining spurs.

Wright - Pep is being too smart late in the season. Why bring in foden now he’s seen him in training all season

Goal to foden inside ten mins
Wright is generally pretty good. 9 times out of 10, that call is probably correct.

Love it when Dele plays as though he's having a kickabout in the park with his mates. It's so fun to watch.

I never realised his technique/control was that good.

I always wonder what it would have been like growing up with a someone who turned pro. Were they always first chosen? Did they have less players on their team because they were so good?

I'll never know, but it's an interesting topic for me.

Bernardo is an incredible footballer. His feet are lightening, but for someone who does have that bit of flair about him, he works his bollocks off too. An dyou're right about Ederson. He saved that one for you.

On another note, how long are the likes of Sane and Jesus going to be happy coming on the bench with the incredible quality ahead of them? Few rumblings in the last few days that Sane might be considering a move. Reckon there's any truth to that?
I agree, he'd be starting at every other club (except maybe Liverpool, possibly you guys too) in the league, and would walk into most other clubs in the world.

He's only 22 or something too, it's ridiculous. There was a passage of play in the second half where he interchanged it with Gundogan and someone else then we jetted off down the right. It was gloriuous to watch.

I do wonder what happens with them too. Would gladly take them at Arsenal. As I am sure most clubs would too.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
If we fail to finish 4th after a 38 game season not getting a point in an away game at the side that finishes first or second isn’t the reason

Of course, not saying that game was the be all and end all for anyone’s season, just that given how close Arsenal, Chelsea & United are, Spurs aren’t really in a position to not care about dropping points in any game against any opposition at this point of the season. Same goes for every club in the top 6 tbh.

It seems like you are being sour here. As good as Liverpool have been you can’t lay the blame at other teams for not bailing you out

Not at all, I’m not expecting favours or blaming anyone for not winning us the league, that’s always been our responsibility alone. I’ve just found some of the comments about the United/Spurs v City games from supporters of those clubs in here and on Twitter odd. Forget getting a result against them for Liverpool, both clubs really need/needed to pinch a point for their own benefit given what’s at stake.

Not overly fussed by that. Would have liked to get points but with our squad as stretched as it is I’m glad Poch put some thought into resting some players but for Brighton
Weird game, but I've never cared less about a loss. I mean, I didn't expect to win in the first place, but also midweek still happened.

And sometimes you just gotta take the L for the greater good.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Of course, not saying that game was the be all and end all for anyone’s season, just that given how close Arsenal, Chelsea & United are, Spurs aren’t really in a position to not care about dropping points in any game against any opposition at this point of the season. Same goes for every club in the top 6 tbh.

Not at all, I’m not expecting favours or blaming anyone for not winning us the league, that’s always been our responsibility alone. I’ve just found some of the comments about the United/Spurs v City games from supporters of those clubs in here and on Twitter odd. Forget getting a result against them for Liverpool, both clubs really need/needed to pinch a point for their own benefit given what’s at stake.
Think it’s more due to the fact we have 7 games in 21 days. Happy to concede the squad needed to be rotated last night so we can give full energy to the games we are more realistic hopes in

We don’t have the squad depth to go full throttle all the way through

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Wright is generally pretty good. 9 times out of 10, that call is probably correct.

I never realised his technique/control was that good.

I always wonder what it would have been like growing up with a someone who turned pro. Were they always first chosen? Did they have less players on their team because they were so good?

I'll never know, but it's an interesting topic for me.
Yeah, I mean he gets a lot of stick for supposedly being "overrated," but it's all nonsense. He's one of the funnest players to watch when he's in that mood. He makes everything look so effortless. He's actually spoken before about how grateful he is to do what he does, and that even when he was at MK playing in the first-team as a 16 and 17 year old, just wanted to get out there and play with as much freedom as possible. I remember when he first broke through at Spurs, there was an interview with his former MK manager and he said that he quickly realised that there was no point in trying to tell him what he should be doing because his mind and what he could do with the ball at his feet was so far above what the coaching staff thought was possible at that level, even at 16 and 17.

On your second point, pretty sure that there was an interview with his best mate, who is also pretty much his foster brother, who said that Dele would often finish playing, and then head down the park on Sunday for a kickabout with his mates. I doubt I'll be able to find it, but from memory it sort of addressed what you were saying about what it was like to play with Dele at school.

I agree, he'd be starting at every other club (except maybe Liverpool, possibly you guys too) in the league, and would walk into most other clubs in the world.

He's only 22 or something too, it's ridiculous. There was a passage of play in the second half where he interchanged it with Gundogan and someone else then we jetted off down the right. It was gloriuous to watch.

I do wonder what happens with them too. Would gladly take them at Arsenal. As I am sure most clubs would too.
Yeah, with a run of games he's genuinely special. He'd definitely start with us. I like Lucas, but Sane is on a completely different level. He's probably better than Son too when he's at his best.

He'd be a scary proposition at Arsenal too. Imagine upgrading Iwobi with Sane on that left-hand side. He'd provide so many assists for Auba.

I actually think about what it's be like for those guys sitting on the bench for the super clubs, knowing that you're a great player, but with great players also ahead of you, especially if you're young. I mean, I know that they're on great wages, and they're going to win everything, but I wonder if some would prefer to be playing every game than sitting on the pine for half the games, but also knowing that you're a winner. It's easy to say from my position, but I think if it was me, I'd rather be playing every week for a club that's still great, where you would still earn fantastic money, and where you've still got a chance of winning things, but perhaps in the next tier down of clubs.

Yeah, that's what I mean by what I said earlier about how he he's fun to watch when he treats the football pitch as his personal playground. It's great sport from Pep too with that gesture. You just know that they would have been smiling during it, and probably had a small joke together after the game.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

At youth level I played with and against some guys who turned pro (one even played against Newcastle in the Europa League), but there was this one guy who lived near me. In summer we'd play games with all the kids from the neighbourhood and this guy was just a young Maradona who could do anything with a ball. We were in awe of his talent.

He ended up playing CL with Club Brugge and got 2 caps for Belgium. At that level, he looked clumsy. He was at fault for a goal against Brugge in the CL by missing a simple ball. That made me realise what freaks the top elite players must be. Fans were critising him for not being good enough, while in his youth he was a magician next to all of us.

The son of friends of my parents played for Belgium at the world cup in Brazil. He was a talented player in the youth teams, but Club Brugge released him when he was 19. He then moved to a smaller team and ended up playing in the Belgium U21 alongside Fellaini, Vermaelen, Mirallas, Witsel and Vertonghen, where he got noticed and signed a big contract with a wealthy club.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

It’s only bad dropped points when you expect to take any. With the squad as stretched as it is I expected none out of that game. Needed to rotate to have fresh legs for Tuesday when we have 3 points to drop. 1-0 with a rotated side against city is as good as it was ever going to get for us

Re the Walker non penalty, I've seen those given, and I wouldn't have complained too much if it was. But if that was a penalty so was the one on Vertonghen. Personally think the right call was made on both.

Bernardo should have had one in the first half. Blatant foul in the box.

We were lucky that non decision didn't cost us.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Re the Walker non penalty, I've seen those given, and I wouldn't have complained too much if it was. But if that was a penalty so was the one on Vertonghen. Personally think the right call was made on both.

Bernardo should have had one in the first half. Blatant foul in the box.

We were lucky that non decision didn't cost us.

I think that Silva probably should have had a pen although Vertinghen got him and the ball so not the most blatant of calls. Thought Spurs could also have had another pen for a pullback on Eriksen just as he was about to shoot.

Walker call the only one out of the lot that would likely have been overturned by VAR.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I think that Silva probably should have had a pen although Vertinghen got him and the ball so not the most blatant of calls. Thought Spurs could also have had another pen for a pullback on Eriksen just as he was about to shoot.

Walker call the only one out of the lot that would likely have been overturned by VAR.
If Eriksen threw his arms back and did a swan dive the ref would have paid it let alone var

Back