EPL Matchday 35

Remove this Banner Ad

Same could be said about Liverpool before they signed VVD and Alisson. They had a few of the pieces to be competitive and compete for top 4 but couldn’t defend if their life depended on it and their goalkeeper was prone to match defining mistakes.

If we’re comparing Liverpool from 3 years ago to United now.. the front 3 is arguably better, midfield is a long way in front with the addition of Bruno and defence is about on par. It’s not as far fetched as you make it sound. Doesn’t mean they’re suddenly going to be winning the league by 30 points.. but to say they’re nowhere near it and irrelevant is wrong imo. They’ve shown the sort of damage they can do on attack in the last few games. If they get a VVD type leader down back they’ll be there or there abouts next year for sure.
We were always a work in progress though, showing improvement all the time under Klopp, we got better and better and better. United have just been the same kinda crap for years. Yet in the space of 20 games suddenly their front three is better than ours and they will be challenging next season. Give it a spell, they are 34 points behind us. 34!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

As early as next year? Well should we bother playing next season, looks like United have it in the bag. :p

In all seriousness, they are pretty irrelevant until they prove not to be. Since SAF left, they have been bang average and havent once challenged for the league title. I'd be surprised if that suddenly changed next season without some mind bending transfers and perhaps a new coach too.

United have a lot of holes to fill.

If you believe one of the most reliable writers for ESPNFC, Woodward and The Glazers have backed Ole in to the hilt, definitely will be managing next season even if they miss out on Champions League.

They are still in a good position to make it, and I think he has done a fairly good job rebuilding their squad and playing youth, I think he deserves at least another season in charge.

Man Utd should be primeD to challenge for the Premier League again next season, esp if they make some good off season signings.

We were always a work in progress though, showing improvement all the time under Klopp, we got better and better and better. United have just been the same kinda crap for years. Yet in the space of 20 games suddenly their front three is better than ours and they will be challenging next season. Give it a spell, they are 34 points behind us. 34!

That’s exactly what Liverpool were for a long time though. It’s easy to say you were constantly on an upward trend after the fact (using the last 2 years as proof) but the truth is Liverpool were the same year after year and weren’t going anywhere until their defence was fixed and when that happened it was almost like a switch was flicked, there was no gradual improvement, they had a fair few of the pieces required and were just missing that silver bullet centre half and gk.

Look at the results this year. Lots of 1 goal wins and not a whole lot where you’ve blown teams away. You get nowhere near that point total without VVDs inclusion a couple of seasons ago (he added the defensive organisation as well as his defensive skills). I’m not saying Liverpool are a bad side (they’re on track to break the points record for the PL) but they were average to good before they rose to the top quickly. You can’t tell me 3 years ago you were expecting a CL win and a record breaking PL run from the next 2 seasons.

So why is it so distant for other teams to improve (not necessarily to the extent Liverpool have) and challenge for the title if Liverpool drop back a bit and suddenly some of those 1-0 and 2-1 wins turn into 1-1 and 2-2 (Similar to United last night where some lapse or unexpected brilliance can cost you points in an instant).

If you believe one of the most reliable writers for ESPNFC, Woodward and The Glazers have backed Ole in to the hilt, definitely will be managing next season even if they miss out on Champions League.

They are still in a good position to make it, and I think he has done a fairly good job rebuilding their squad and playing youth, I think he deserves at least another season in charge.

Man Utd should be primeD to challenge for the Premier League again next season, esp if they make some good off season signings.

There is no doubt they are in form and that there style of play has improved massively. They are no longer simply a counter attack side which they were pre Bruno.

But, since they beat Man City in March they have not beat anyone of note. It is an impressive run but they have beat 7th, 20th, 15th, 18th and 19th with a draw against Tottenham and now Southhampton.

Manchester United should be beating teams that are 15-20th.

Lol, Liverpool were just as s**t as Utd, Klopp was the butt of many jokes early days.

I think Utd have shown massive improvement, since they lost to Liverpool funnily enough in January.

The same argument could be made for Liverpool, there's no way to really improve on what you've put out, there's only a regression.

I expect 2021 to be a close race between more than 2 sides for the first time in a while.

They don't really have many holes. Just a couple of defensive signings and they are set.

Lol, Liverpool were just as sh*t as Utd, Klopp was the butt of many jokes early days.

I think Utd have shown massive improvement, since they lost to Liverpool funnily enough in January.

The same argument could be made for Liverpool, there's no way to really improve on what you've put out, there's only a regression.

I expect 2021 to be a close race between more than 2 sides for the first time in a while.

They don't really have many holes. Just a couple of defensive signings and they are set.

Next minute, Pogba leaves :think:

Liverpool actually have huge scope for improvement. Imagine they got a world class attacking mid in that side? Imagine someone as good as KDB running around in the current Liverpool team. That is lights out. Not sure who that player is or if Liverpool will do it but they could and it would improve them.

Oh I didnt mean to say he will be gone, I just meant he's not up to it. Ole is just not a top manager but United will stick with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s exactly what Liverpool were for a long time though. It’s easy to say you were constantly on an upward trend after the fact (using the last 2 years as proof) but the truth is Liverpool were the same year after year and weren’t going anywhere until their defence was fixed and when that happened it was almost like a switch was flicked, there was no gradual improvement, they had a fair few of the pieces required and were just missing that silver bullet centre half and gk.

Look at the results this year. Lots of 1 goal wins and not a whole lot where you’ve blown teams away. You get nowhere near that point total without VVDs inclusion a couple of seasons ago (he added the defensive organisation as well as his defensive skills). I’m not saying Liverpool are a bad side (they’re on track to break the points record for the PL) but they were average to good before they rose to the top quickly. You can’t tell me 3 years ago you were expecting a CL win and a record breaking PL run from the next 2 seasons.

So why is it so distant for other teams to improve (not necessarily to the extent Liverpool have) and challenge for the title if Liverpool drop back a bit and suddenly some of those 1-0 and 2-1 wins turn into 1-1 and 2-2 (Similar to United last night where some lapse or unexpected brilliance can cost you points in an instant).
Before Klopp sure, but once Klopp arrived you could see the gradual improvement. We just got better and better every season. Klopp came in half way through the season and we finished 8th, then 4th, 4th again, to 2nd and now 1st. Of course we have had to buy players, that is half the battle but again under Klopp we have just hit home run after home run. VVD and Alisson being big ones. Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Robbo, Matip... the list is long and we have gotten it right almost every single time.

It's not distant for other teams to improve. I believe United will improve, it will be hard not to as they have been so poor. But I think next season will very much be City and Liverpool again. Well unless something crazy happens and United buy Sancho, Havertz, Varane, Koulibaly and Messi or something.

Lol, Liverpool were just as sh*t as Utd, Klopp was the butt of many jokes early days.

Huh? Since when was Klopp the butt of any jokes? Almost immediately you could see the improvement, never has any LFC wavered on Klopp, certainly no butt of any jokes. If you know football, you could see quite clearly that Klopp was improving the side year by year.

You would think we will regress and we probably will but to be fair, everyone said at the beginning of this season that Liverpool swung their bat at got 97 points and still didnt win the title and that it would be too difficult to replicate and we would fall away. Instead we've destroyed the league. So who know's if we regress next season, even if we do, I cant see it being a 20-30 point regression which allows a side like United to challenge for the league.

City and Liverpool will push each other again next season I'm sure. United are still super dodgy defensively and they need a better GK. Maguire is poor for a top side. They need two elite CBs.

Huh? Since when was Klopp the butt of any jokes? Almost immediately you could see the improvement, never has any LFC wavered on Klopp, certainly no butt of any jokes. If you know football, you could see quite clearly that Klopp was improving the side year by year.

You would think we will regress and we probably will but to be fair, everyone said at the beginning of this season that Liverpool swung their bat at got 97 points and still didnt win the title and that it would be too difficult to replicate and we would fall away. Instead we've destroyed the league. So who know's if we regress next season, even if we do, I cant see it being a 20-30 point regression which allows a side like United to challenge for the league.

City and Liverpool will push each other again next season I'm sure. United are still super dodgy defensively and they need a better GK. Maguire is poor for a top side. They need two elite CBs.

So basically you agree Utd just need some defensive signings? thanks for agreeing with my entire point.

As for Klopp, yeah selective memory is already at play.

These articles weren't uncommon at the time, there was plenty around early days.

Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool, Rogers finished 6th in his last season at Liverpool.

I don't think the improvement straight away was evident.

Jurgen Klopp was heralded as the messiah when he was first announced as Liverpool's new manager.

Three weeks ago, the narrative spilling out of Anfield and across the world's media was that the club's board had pulled off a major coup by securing one of European football's greatest managerial minds.

The German would surely bring instant success to the biggest of England's sleeping giants. Johnny Foreigner to the rescue.

But oh, how things have changed. After less than a month in charge at Anfield, nothing much has improved. In fact, whisper it around Merseyside, but maybe they made a huge gaffe in letting British manager Brendan Rodgers leave.

brendan-rodgers.jpg

The three games under Klopp's 'genius' management have resulted in three draws. That's three points - I've seen teams manage that in a single game. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer wins to draws. And Jurgen obviously disagrees.

During his time at the helm, Liverpool have scored a meagre two goals and looked decidedly off the pace. Meanwhile, their last three games under Rodgers included a win against high-flying Aston Villa - something Klopp is still yet to achieve, and might never be able to.

People argue that the former Borussia Dortmund man requires patience, but how much time does he need? Due to the international break, he has had the luxury of around a fortnight with his new players. Where is the improvement? I simply don't know.

Two and a bit weeks is more than enough for a decent coach to instil a completely new style of play, whilst at the same time eradicating the lack of confidence and self-doubt that had infected the squad. Klopp has clearly failed.

Last edited:

So basically you agree Utd just need some defensive signings? thanks for agreeing with my entire point.

These articles weren't uncommon at the time, there was plenty around early days.

Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool, Rogers finished 6th in his last season at Liverpool.

Hahahahah you know that article you posted was a satirical one right?

Ask any Liverpool supporter, the improvement was gradual and obvious. We knew we had one of the best managers on the planet and all we needed was time and the right signings to get to the top. Which we've done.

And no I dont basically agree with you. I said I dont think Ole is up to it and yes signings is what United need. But you can say that about any club as new players who are really really good will improve your team.

But it's not just that, United's mentality isnt at the required level yet. United need far more than just a couple of defensive signings to suddenly win the Premier League next season.

Klopp took over a team that was poor, it had plenty of holes in it. It wasn't his team, someone else had built the team. Given time and the players he wanted he has achieved what he has. Same with OGS, he took over a team that wasn't his last season, he did what he could last year. United are looking good no doubt, I think they'll get top 4 which is a huge step in the right direction. I don't think they win the title next season but they are only a few signings off being a contender IMO. Again I'll say getting champions league football is huge, you can attract a different level of player. Similarly it makes it easier to keep your stars.

In midfield and attack they look complete, Pogba, Matic and Bruno appears to be a top level well balanced midfield. The attack is scoring for fun and looks extremely dangerous every-time they go forward. The question is the defense and GK, can De Gea recapture his top form? United aren't far off from challenging again IMO but those last 2-3 signings are key and can be difficult to nail.

Solsakjer has got United to the minimum level you'd expect them to be at considering the players, finances and overall stature of the club. The only reason he's getting praised is because before that he had them underperforming. He's yet to show he can get a side to over-perform.

The Klopp stuff is just nonsense, as evidenced by the posting of a satirical article thinking it's legitimate. The improvement was stark and immediate, anyone with half a brain could see something was happening.

Think this is pretty telling too of United's potency in attack

Rashford, Martial & Greenwood = 58
Ronaldo, Dybala & Higuain = 57
Salah, Mane & Firmino = 54
Messi, Suarez & Fati = 53
Is that all competitions? It's a bit difficult to compare when three of those play champions League defences and one was too s**t so they had to play Europa League

United were a bit lackluster this morning. The common tater had just finished telling us they were the best United team since Fergie when they conceded an equaliser in Fergie time.
I heard him say that. I don’t mind a good United bashing but they were a tad unlucky this morning. That concussion in the 89th minute left them a man down and then they conceded the equaliser in stoppage time. Then again, you could say it was poor bench management by their manager using all 5 subs before this.

Do you class that as his first season? Please remind us all what week did Klopp take the managerial role at Liverpool in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back