Premier Lg EPL Matchday 36 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say at this stage Newcastle, Brighton, Villa, Brentford and Fulham haven't been failures this season.
The ultimate goal for any sporting comp is to win the league/championship. Sure you can make Europe, overachieve, survive etc but at the end of the day there’s only one winner in every sport.

Yes and? City had a game every three days already then. Newcastle had the league cup and they wanted to be fair to them and United. You seem to get so wound up about things that are easily checked

The difference is City were in more competitions than we were...

So fixturing is based on fairness is it?

The difference is City were in more competitions than we were...

So fixturing is based on fairness is it?
And so you're upset that they couldn't cram the City game into an imaginary timeslot?

I missed that United had a Europa game in there so the fixture wasn't completely fair. I'm sure they had a reason for not putting on Newcastle and Brighton in that week, probably to do with not clashing with Champions League.

EDIT: So the Newcastle game was meant to be the weekend of the EFL Cup, so they didn't want to bring it forward for some reason or other.

And so you're upset that they couldn't cram the City game into an imaginary timeslot?

I missed that United had a Europa game in there so the fixture wasn't completely fair. I'm sure they had a reason for not putting on Newcastle and Brighton in that week, probably to do with not clashing with Champions League.

The Newcastle game could have been played between the matches that took place on the 5th and the 12th of March.

The Newcastle game could have been played between the matches that took place on the 5th and the 12th of March.
That would mean the 7th, 8th or 9th of March. Two UCL nights and a Europa/Conference night.
Very common for no EPL games to be on those nights to avoid TV clashes.

TV revenue. You think fans around the world are going to watch Newcastle Brighton instead of Bayern v PSG?

Yes I think there will be fans around the world who would watch Newcastle v Brighton over the other game. Of all the people I know who follow this sport none watch German or French football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dumb argument. Match obviously was not played at that time for a reason, whether someone of a fan of the team disagrees with the decision or not is irrelevant.

And Bostonian, people who you know not watching French or German football is also irrelevant. And Bayern vs PSG is European football. Not German, nor French.

Yes I think there will be fans around the world who would watch Newcastle v Brighton over the other game. Of all the people I know who follow this sport none watch German or French football.
Neither did I until I got Optus, Bein etc.
But now I will find myself watching games from many leagues.

Cash is king in football and EPL/UCL revenue brings in billions to English teams, some of which is filtered down the pyramid. Providers pay billions for the rights, they won't want to dilute its value by scheduling clashes across competitions. You'll find out next year, when you're in line for 20-30m in Europa revenue.

Haha that's optimistic I agre. Henry / Ronaldo are the top 2. Out of Shearer / Salah for 3rd. Salah is far from done, he'll be around until 2026.

So Salah in the Top 2 is optimistic but you have him in your Top 3? 😂

Last edited:
Unless there is extreme circumstances which this could could as one. But don't think they thought the money stacked up
We got an exemption a year or so back, but it was really the only possible date we could play it.

Memory gone a bit, but it might even have been an early kick off (1800) so it didn't clash.

So Salah in the Top 2 is optimistic but you have him in your Top 3? 😂
I dont think it's unreasonable to start talking about Salah in all time conversations when it comes to PL greats to be honest.

As the original graphic said, he has 19 and 10 assists this season so just one more goal to top 20 and 10 and he would then be the only player to ever do that three times.

He has three golden boots, the only player with more golden boots is Henry with 4. He's already 14th all time on the goal scorers list with 139 and by the end of next season you'd think he will move into the top 10. Out of the 13 guys ahead of him on the list of most goals scored, only 6 of them have more assists that him.

When you factor in games played and goal and assist contributions per match only Henry has a better average at 0.96 to Salah's 0.85.

He's won PFA Fan's Player of the Season three times (the only player to win it three times)

He's made the PFA Team of the Season three times.

He's won Playmaker of the Season once. (new award for player with most assists. KDB only multiple winner, third on the way this season)

He's won Premier League Player of the season.

He's won FWA Footballer of the Year twice, one of only 9 players to ever do it. (Henry, Ronaldo, Dalglish, Barnes, Lineker, Mathews, Blanchflower, Finney being the others)

He's won the PFA Players Player of the year twice. Again one of only 7 players to ever do it. Nobody has won more than twice. (KDB, Henry, Ronaldo, Bale, Shearer and Hughes being the others)

I mean he's an all time great and rivals any player really when it comes to goals, assists and accolades and he's not done yet.

I dont think it's unreasonable to start talking about Salah in all time conversations when it comes to PL greats to be honest.

As the original graphic said, he has 19 and 10 assists this season so just one more goal to top 20 and 10 and he would then be the only player to ever do that three times.

He has three golden boots, the only player with more golden boots is Henry with 4. He's already 14th all time on the goal scorers list with 139 and by the end of next season you'd think he will move into the top 10. Out of the 13 guys ahead of him on the list of most goals scored, only 6 of them have more assists that him.

When you factor in games played and goal and assist contributions per match only Henry has a better average at 0.96 to Salah's 0.85.

He's won PFA Fan's Player of the Season three times (the only player to win it three times)

He's won Playmaker of the Season once. (new award for player with most assists. KDB only multiple winner, third on the way this season)

He's won FWA Footballer of the Year twice, one of only 9 players to ever do it. (Henry, Ronaldo, Dalglish, Barnes, Lineker, Mathews, Blanchflower, Finney being the others)

He's won the PFA Players Player of the year twice. Again one of only 7 players to ever do it. Nobody has won more than twice. (KDB, Henry, Ronaldo, Bale, Shearer and Hughes being the others)

I mean he's an all time great and rivals any player really when it comes to goals, assists and accolades and he's not done yet.

You’re correct! It isn’t. Just that Zidane said it is optimistic to have him in the top 2 but then turned around and had him possibly top 3. I wasn’t having a go either, just kind of funny, like there is barely a difference between top 2 and top 3. :p

Salah has done incredible well for Liverpool. I guess there will be more Liverpool supporters having Salah in their top 3 than opposition supporters. But that doesn’t take away from the excellent run he has had for a few years, as you have pointed out. I think any conversation about a top 2 or 3 should include Harry Kane.

Michael Olise 10 goal assists this season breaks the Palace club record in a PL season, just needs to improve his own finishing to be top rate.

Eze hits 10 goals for the season after a poor start to the season where he wasn't starting under Vereira (thought he wasn't good defensively off the ball). Beautiful to watch with the ball now exceeding his pre-achilles form. His 2nd v the Cherries was a rocket. Will play for one of the big boys one day.

Finish above Chelsea would be nice.

You’re correct! It isn’t. Just that Zidane said it is optimistic to have him in the top 2 but then turned around and had him possibly top 3. I wasn’t having a go either, just kind of funny, like there is barely a difference between top 2 and top 3. :p

Salah has done incredible well for Liverpool. I guess there will be more Liverpool supporters having Salah in their top 3 than opposition supporters. But that doesn’t take away from the excellent run he has had for a few years, as you have pointed out. I think any conversation about a top 2 or 3 should include Harry Kane.
Harry Kane is absolutely in the conversation as well. Will no doubt end up the PL's all time record goal scorer. He has three golden boots, the same as Mo and only one behind Henry for the record. He's made the PFA team of the year 5 times and won Playmaker of the year once and PFA Fan's Player of the year once.

Doesnt quite have those individual accolades like FWA Footballer of the Year or Premier League Player of the Year. Still time for him to win those type of awards if he leaves Spurs sooner rather than later as you tend to win those awards when playing for trophy winning teams. Often Kane can have as good a year as say KDB or Salah but because Liverpool and City have been so good it often goes to the player in the team winning trophies so that hurts him a little.

But the sheer weight of goals will work in his favour. He's gonna smash Shearer's record quite easily and I think he is 4th all time for goal/assist contributions per game behind Henry, Salah and Aguero.

Wait what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back