EPL Matchday 37 - On Optus Sport

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Pretty poor from Everton fans to storm the pitch before FT. Would think fines/suspensions should come out of it.
It was embarrassing enough when fans stormed the pitch after our winner with so long left. At least a good amount of fans booed them off. That stuff with Vieira is just disgraceful though and fines/games behind closed doors should be the minimum for that rubbish.

England has really started to see crowd problems increase since crowds returned and now it’s a few really bad incidents with pitch invasions in the same week.

I saw the image of the Everton game in the pub (which was showing the Villa - Burnley game) and thought it was similar to the Buddy milestone. To Everton fans it’s just as important (if not more) to secure safety.

The bigger question is how do you prevent fans who are clearly more invested in their team nowadays from storming the pitch. Because no amount of security will stop that for any team.

I also felt sorry for Vieira. Who knows what must have been said for him to react that way. However, no doubt there will be repurcussions.

At least it shows he didn't say anything racist to provoke it, but sitll..

My initial thought. Which is a sad state of affairs.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Spurs and Liverpool don't have the financial means to buy the best player in any league they want, that's what I mean in terms closer to spurs than City. Liverpool/Spurs normally have to buy a player in their early/mid-20s and hope for further development and rely on their academies. They're also at constant threat of having their best player walk. There is still some mystery to being a Liverpool supporter, it's clearly a scale, more mystery to being a Spurs supporter, and even more to be Everton. There is zero mystery in being a city supporter.

As Australians who've chosen our Premier League clubs, most have decided upon a rich club that raids the lower tier clubs, there is a level of irony in what I'm saying, I'm aware of that. What reinforces my decision to support Spurs and respect for Liverpool supporters is both clubs are run like a business, not a hobby, and gambles are taken.

There is no gambling with City or Chelsea (for now), you know that if their massive buy last year didn't work, they'll just do it again. It's what makes United's fortunes all the more humorous, they operate in the same way as City/Chelsea, and they're still rubbish, I'd be furious if I was a United fan.

Great post.

To take it a step further, the two biggest transfers in Spurs history have been flops (N'domele and Sanchez). Spurs has only outlaid more than 30m for a player 3 times in our existence. The third player, incidentally was Moussa Sissoko (a very good but limited footballer). The next biggest transfer was Giovanni Lo Celso who cost 28m.

In recent times our best players have come either through our youth setup (eg Kane), or have been young midpriced transfers with upside (Son, Modric, Bale, Dembele). Spurs is a moneyball club rather than a money club.

On the other hand, Manchester City needs (wants!) a striker so they go out and buy Erling Haaland. And this is why very few neutrals are in their corner. I'd honestly prefer to see Arsenal win trophies if it means beating City to them.

1 win in 14 games when Benitez got sacked. We were utterly dreadful and bang on to go down. We've won 4 of our last 8 under Frank alone.

People forget the only reason Benitez had points was a fluke run to start the league. It's not like he was winning the odd game here or there before his sacking. Man was awful.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
1 win in 14 games when Benitez got sacked. We were utterly dreadful and bang on to go down. We've won 4 of our last 8 under Frank alone.

People forget the only reason Benitez had points was a fluke run to start the league. It's not like he was winning the odd game here or there before his sacking. Man was awful.
Oh ******* spare me. Lampard is a terrible manager.

Oh ******* spare me. Lampard is a terrible manager.
Not sparing you anything. Benitez is the worst manager that Everton has ever had and Lampard is miles better than that dinosaur.

As much as he was provoked Vieira should’ve just kept walking. That reaction could have caused a riot and could have put him and players on greater danger.

Nah the fan deserved what he got.

Back