EPL Matchday 37

Remove this Banner Ad

At the very least I can’t see us winning after that debacle at the Nou Camp.
Klopp will surely play a striker this time. I understand that Firmino was underdone, but to completely ignore Sturridge, Origi and even Shaqiri is telling.

It would be disappointing to see Liverpool not win a trophy at all this season since they have been pretty dominant for most of it. Must make their fans wonder where ones ever going to come from again

It would be disappointing to see Liverpool not win a trophy at all this season since they have been pretty dominant for most of it. Must make their fans wonder where ones ever going to come from again
Whatever trophy we win, I don't care which one, it will mean the world to me. I'll probably never stop talking about it for a long time.

Last edited:
Richard Dunne was a decent defender. But look at the top few numbers. As well as own goals and Pens conceded.

Difficult to paint a true picture for defenders using statistics like this because they’re opportunity based. What do you think Maldini’s would look like?

It just goes to show you that VVDs season has been vastly overrated.

It doesn’t prove that at all.

Repeat after me: defensive stats are opportunity based.

Without context, absolute values like the total number of tackles a centre back has made don’t tell you anything useful about his individual quality, other than that he was really busy. That could easily mean he had to frequently bail himself or his team mates out of trouble. Ditto for goalkeepers and total number of saves. Rates are more useful.

The other thing to consider is that good defending often doesn’t translate into a recordable statistic. Van Dijk successfully defused a 2v1 in the dying minutes of the Spurs game the other day, not a single stat will have been recorded.

I think it’s best just accepting you’re wrong on this one and pick your next dead horse to flog, it’s getting quite sad to watch you desperately clutch at straws. You’re in the extreme minority who don’t think Van Dijk‘s 2018/19 season has been exceptional. To be considered alongside Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Kompany, Adams etc in a PL greatest of all time list he’ll have to do it again, but he’s performing at that level.

Last edited:
Saw a nice stat today... Vidic had a better season in 08/9 by far than VVD has this season, but VVD is the greatest Human to have ever lived.

View attachment 665872
View attachment 665873
Those stats mean very little as both sides would play vastly different football with different players around them. If anything those stats suggest teams got at United a bit more than they can get at us, considering the amount of clearances, tackles and interceptions Vidic had to make compared to that of VVD.

End of the day, Vidic never won player of the year. VVD did though. Plus we all know you hate VVD haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difficult to paint a true picture for defenders using statistics like this because they’re opportunity based. What do you think Maldini’s would look like?
think maldini's prem stats would look a bit ordinary

Those stats mean very little as both sides would play vastly different football with different players around them. If anything those stats suggest teams got at United a bit more than they can get at us, considering the amount of clearances, tackles and interceptions Vidic had to make compared to that of VVD.

End of the day, Vidic never won player of the year. VVD did though. Plus we all know you hate VVD haha.
What did you think of his inept defending on Wednesday?

It doesn’t prove that at all.

Repeat after me: defensive stats are opportunity based.

Without context, absolute values like the total number of tackles a centre back has made don’t tell you anything useful about his individual quality, other than that he was really busy. That could easily mean he had to frequently bail himself or his team mates out of trouble. Ditto for goalkeepers and total number of saves. Rates are more useful.

The other thing to consider is that good defending often doesn’t translate into a recordable statistic. Van Dijk successfully defused a 2v1 in the dying minutes of the Spurs game the other day, not a single stat will have been recorded.

I think it’s best just accepting you’re wrong on this one and pick your next dead horse to flog, it’s getting quite sad to watch you desperately clutch at straws. You’re in the extreme minority who don’t think Van Dijk‘s 2018/19 season has been exceptional. To be considered alongside Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Kompany, Adams etc in a PL greatest of all time list he’ll have to do it again, but he’s performing at that level.
SO basically all stats are useless, only random opinions shall be accepted.

What did you think of his inept defending on Wednesday?
What inept defending?

The first goal was just a really good Barcelona goal. There is this myth in football that every goal scored is one of the defenders faults. Nope. Just an excellently timed run by Suarez and an excellent ball in.

The second goal was pure luck. Suarez knee's it onto the crossbar and it falls right into Messi's feet. Nothing anyone can really do about that.

Also nothing can be done about the third goal either.

You're the only one with a random opinion. The opinion that VVD is crap when everyone else recognises him as an exceptional CB.
Once again for your infantile mind, I never said he was crap. I said he was good, but vastly overrated. Something I have stated since his Southampton days. It continuously gets proved.

What inept defending?

The first goal was just a really good Barcelona goal. There is this myth in football that every goal scored is one of the defenders faults. Nope. Just an excellently timed run by Suarez and an excellent ball in.

The second goal was pure luck. Suarez knee's it onto the crossbar and it falls right into Messi's feet. Nothing anyone can really do about that.

Also nothing can be done about the third goal either.
Exhibit A of why people dislike Liverpool fans. You can never admit that there was something wrong. If you lose it's because you lost it, not because the other team was better.

Honestly you are a complete lost cause. Nothing Liverpool have ever done is wrong or bad. No wonder they have won every title since 1990.

There's no way he's overrated. All players have bad games.

If he has another season or two like this, hard not to consider him one of the best CBs the PL has seen.
That’s too soon however. So 3 elite seasons is enough to earn that honour.

CB’s in the PL era mustn’t be too highly rated if that’s what it takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back