EPL Matchday 38 (Manchester City Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I'm not fussed. If there's a cap, so be it. I doubt it will happen and I think it will be very difficult to have a cap that makes everyone happy. And unless it's across the board you may end up seeing the best players leave the English game.

It won't happen unless it's taken out of the owners hands.

Yes ideally you wouldn't want clubs outspending the rest of the league as much as teams like City, PSG etc. do but salary caps won't really change much, if anything it will just return the big supported clubs to the top as players will just go there for the extra exposure. You can't have a draft so there's no even spread of new players.

Yes ideally you wouldn't want clubs outspending the rest of the league as much as teams like City, PSG etc. do but salary caps won't really change much, if anything it will just return the big supported clubs to the top as players will just go there for the extra exposure. You can't have a draft so there's no even spread of new players.
Like that never happened throughout history. I wonder how big clubs became big clubs

It's plenty of fans who want spending caps too yeah?

CFGs aim it's to sportswash their vile image. The money really isn't that important to them.

It's why they are doing it in multiple countries.
What vile image does the UAE have? Ok it's not a progressive western society but it's no Qatar or Saudi Arabia.

Like that never happened throughout history. I wonder how big clubs became big clubs

Someone always has to spend the most. The margin has never been this great however. I absolutely get City's argument that the only way to join the top teams was to spend huge. However, they've not only joined the rest they've passed them but the spending hasn't eased up now they're there.

There's a lot of hyperbole about our spending, but it isn't as dramatic as people make out.

Last year we spent £115m on Grealish and Alvarez, Man United spent £120m on Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. Chelsea spent £100m on Lukaku. Liverpool spent £80m on Konate and Dias.

So we weren't even the highest spenders.

And worth pointing out that we earned between £20-50m more in broadcasting revenue than those clubs mentioned, largely due tomorrow performances in league and champions league.

Someone always has to spend the most. The margin has never been this great however. I absolutely get City's argument that the only way to join the top teams was to spend huge. However, they've not only joined the rest they've passed them but the spending hasn't eased up now they're there.
the issue becomes that once you get there everything is favoured towards you, and then you have power to try and protect your investment by getting into bed with uefa and such. the fa and uefa and fifa all want that traditional fanbase and money, but they've got no objections allowing a couple to upset the apple cart. means more for them. it's all just politics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of hyperbole about our spending, but it isn't as dramatic as people make out.

Last year we spent £115m on Grealish and Alvarez, Man United spent £120m on Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. Chelsea spent £100m on Lukaku. Liverpool spent £80m on Konate and Dias.

So we weren't even the highest spenders.

And worth pointing out that we earned between £20-50m more in broadcasting revenue than those clubs mentioned, largely due tomorrow performances in league and champions league.
This doesnt really play out though.

It's not one window. Oh look we spent similar to United, Chelsea and Liverpool in the last window, it must all be fair etc...

It's the continued big spending year after year after year after year. Your starting base is much better than everybody else's.

So for example say for instance I have a nice 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house and you have a 15 bedroom 8 bathroom giant mansion with tennis courts, a swimming pool and full size basketball court.

We both then spend 5 million on upgrading our house. My house is gonna be pretty sweet after that upgrade, your house, well it's already great and now you have 5 million more upgrades to it. Sure we spent the same amount of money but your house is still way better than mine.

Some interesting comments regarding Burnley's financial situation, squad makeup and recruitment.

I will always thank Dyche for what he did for Burnley but it's 100% his fault we went down. His tactics had long been found out and he simply refused to adapt, I'm guessing because he didn't know any other way.

It was obvious for a long time that something needed to change, that Chris Wood was so out of form it was costing us points, that Westwood needed to be dropped, that McNeil had pretty much all of the attacking flair coached out of him, that Vydra upfront gave us a different dynamic. But we stuck with 442 hoof ball.

His obsession with British journeyman led us to having an aging squad and when he often spunked large sums of cash against the wall (Ben Gibson). He can't solely be blamed for this, the previous regime didn't invest when we needed it most, which hurt us, but Dyche had a poor record with loan signings and new signings very rarely went straight into the team. That and I'm sure players weren't chomping at the bit to play in his setup left our options limited.

Tarkowski is a beast and was always going to leave. But he gave everything for Burnley.

Pope, an incredible keeper that deserves some success. Will be in the EPL next year.

Cornet, if release clause is true (which I have no doubt it is) will go.

Weghorst was pretty poor for us, can't see an EPL team coming in for him. Maybe a move back to Germany.

McNeil you think would draw interest, as would Taylor and Brownhill. All 3 could stay.

If they all leave it starts to look pretty ugly and I don't think we have a chance in hell of coming back up next season. In fact I'd say it could be a very long time before we're back in the EPL.

I don't blame Pace, I think he's made some good decisions (Cornet (who Dyche apparently wasn't overly keen on). Unfortunately in a sport/league where money talks, we just don't have enough cash.

This doesnt really play out though.

You could also argue that we started from a much lower base than others so we should discount our spending in the early years.

All a bit pointless right?

So we spend what we can afford and what we feel will give us the best chance to break into that small group that earn €100m extra each year by playing in the Champions league. Then we spend what we can afford and what we feel we need to to maintain our position and continue to improve.

Everyone else does the same and we all move on with our lives.

You could also argue that we started from a much lower base than others so we should discount our spending in the early years.

All a bit pointless right?

So we spend what we can afford and what we feel will give us the best chance to break into that small group that earn €100m extra each year by playing in the Champions league. Then we spend what we can afford and what we feel we need to to maintain our position and continue to improve.

Everyone else does the same and we all move on with our lives.
Not really because it's been a long time now since the City takeover. You're not playing catch up anymore. So not pointless really.

But yes now you are in a position to just live off the CL money and all the other income now that you're an established big club. Wage budget is still a thing though, being able to reel in big fish like Haaland who is basically out of reach for the rest of the teams in England.

This is way it is though, nothing we can do about it. We just have to keep fighting and hopefully get you next year.

Some interesting comments regarding Burnley's financial situation, squad makeup and recruitment.

I will always thank Dyche for what he did for Burnley but it's 100% his fault we went down. His tactics had long been found out and he simply refused to adapt, I'm guessing because he didn't know any other way.

It was obvious for a long time that something needed to change, that Chris Wood was so out of form it was costing us points, that Westwood needed to be dropped, that McNeil had pretty much all of the attacking flair coached out of him, that Vydra upfront gave us a different dynamic. But we stuck with 442 hoof ball.

His obsession with British journeyman led us to having an aging squad and when he often spunked large sums of cash against the wall (Ben Gibson). He can't solely be blamed for this, the previous regime didn't invest when we needed it most, which hurt us, but Dyche had a poor record with loan signings and new signings very rarely went straight into the team. That and I'm sure players weren't chomping at the bit to play in his setup left our options limited.

Tarkowski is a beast and was always going to leave. But he gave everything for Burnley.

Pope, an incredible keeper that deserves some success. Will be in the EPL next year.

Cornet, if release clause is true (which I have no doubt it is) will go.

Weghorst was pretty poor for us, can't see an EPL team coming in for him. Maybe a move back to Germany.

McNeil you think would draw interest, as would Taylor and Brownhill. All 3 could stay.

If they all leave it starts to look pretty ugly and I don't think we have a chance in hell of coming back up next season. In fact I'd say it could be a very long time before we're back in the EPL.

I don't blame Pace, I think he's made some good decisions (Cornet (who Dyche apparently wasn't overly keen on). Unfortunately in a sport/league where money talks, we just don't have enough cash.
F*** Burnley! Just kidding mate. Don’t want to start another who ha.

Sometimes have to remind yourself that Burnley has a pop of around 90,000….that’s less than Ballarat! Also nearly four out of ten kids grow up in near poverty. With so little spent on transfers over the years it’s been an effort to last six seasons. The 7th place five years back still an extraordinary effort.

Who is everyone want to go up in the championship playoff final ?

Yorkshire rivalry aside, definitely want Forrst to go up, even if we and NFFC will always have some animosity mainly cause of Cloughy, but Forest a proper historical club who have been out of the top flight for too long, and it would be awesome to see them back.

Who is everyone want to go up in the championship playoff final ?

Yorkshire rivalry aside, definitely want Forrst to go up, even if we and NFFC will always have some animosity mainly cause of Cloughy, but Forest a proper historical club who have been out of the top flight for too long, and it would be awesome to see them back.
Huddersfield were in the premier league not too long ago so for that reason alone I hope forrrest get the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back