EPL Matchday 38 (Manchester City Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think some big props need to go to Eddie Howe.

This was their position when he took over.

1653364604861.png

To take 38 points in the 19 games since XMAS and finish 11th, at 2 points a game, given where they were is close to the manager of the season type stuff for me.

If he repeated the same performance in the reverse fixtures, he would have beaten Chelsea into 3rd.

Not bad considering the likely squad improvements coming his way.

Think some big props need to go to Eddie Howe.

This was their position when he took over.

View attachment 1407873

To take 38 points in the 19 games since XMAS and finish 11th, at 2 points a game, given where they were is close to the manager of the season type stuff for me.

If he repeated the same performance in the reverse fixtures, he would have beaten Chelsea into 3rd.

Not bad considering the likely squad improvements coming his way.

Yeah imagine if all the teams down the bottom had 100+ million extra to spend on players in a transfer window. Reckon most of them would have improved too.

Not really because it's been a long time now since the City takeover. You're not playing catch up anymore. So not pointless really.

But yes now you are in a position to just live off the CL money and all the other income now that you're an established big club. Wage budget is still a thing though, being able to reel in big fish like Haaland who is basically out of reach for the rest of the teams in England.

This is way it is though, nothing we can do about it. We just have to keep fighting and hopefully get you next year.

Liverpool wage bill isn't much different from the others at the top end of the league. You just like to cry poor.

Howe has done really well, and earned himself a bit of goodwill that'll probably avoid the need for Newcastle to look for a big name manager.

He bought players in, bringing the right player in and integrating them into the squad is part of a football managers job. So I'd say he's done everything Newcastle expected of him and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australian dollars... that's one way to inflate your number to make it look worse. Still have to be able to get those players working. He turned Joelinton into a good player.

They spent the most money in the world in that window.

Do you honestly think he's achieving what he did if he had 15-20 million and wage limitations?

Of course he's not.

Do you honestly think he's achieving what he did if he had 15-20 million and wage limitations?

Of course he's not.
So what, they spent what they spent and pay the wages they pay. Then his job is to get the most points possible with the resources he has available to him.

He's done that very well.

Yeah imagine if all the teams down the bottom had 100+ million extra to spend on players in a transfer window. Reckon most of them would have improved too.

Imagine if they spent what Brighton did in the offseason....

They bought Willock in the offseason, that was it.

It wasn't that they improved, they went at 2 points per game after the purchases which would get you a CL spot across an entire season. It wasn't exactly a small sample size either.

I know you like to intimate Brighton are the best run club in the universe, but you might show a little humility at stages.

Of course he's not.

Brighton had one of the highest net spends in Europe for a few years and it resulted in the grand total of 15th-17th.

Of course he's not.

The only Premier League Champions since it started that wasn't
bankrolled by owners that could pay practically more than anyone else was Leicester City. Heck even Blackburn in 1995 was backed in to the hilt.

This has not been a recent phenomenon.

And yes, Potter has done a very remarkable job with Brighton this season (and before that), absolutely deserves a lot of credit, but no mean to disparage Pep and his achievements either.

The fact Manchester City have stopped the monopoly that United, Arsenal and Chelsea had before they they were brought over is something I actually consider a blessing.

Much rather see Citeh as champs every season anyhow than those other insufferable clubs I mentioned who have had it too good, for too long..

Of course he's not.
They got four regulars in with trippier being injured. Two deemed surplus at EPL clubs. He took a very similar squad from achieving * all points a game to being third in the form table second half of the season. He didn't add Chelsea level players.

Australian dollars... that's one way to inflate your number to make it look worse. Still have to be able to get those players working. He turned Joelinton into a good player.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 5.20.21 pm.png

80m rather than 100m if we're splitting hairs.

They got four regulars in with trippier being injured. Two deemed surplus at EPL clubs. He took a very similar squad from achieving duck all points a game to being third in the form table second half of the season. He didn't add Chelsea level players.

Burn wasn't surplus. Potter loved him but his contract was running out and they were doubling his wages.

That didn't answer my question though.

Would he have done it with far less money spent?

What quality players come in for 20 million and under.

The only Premier League Champions since it started that wasn't
bankrolled by owners that could pay practically more than anyone else was Leicester City. Heck even Blackburn in 1995 was backed in to the hilt.

This has not been a recent phenomenon.

And yes, Potter has done a very remarkable job with Brighton this season (and before that), absolutely deserves a lot of credit, but no mean to disparage Pep and his achievements either.

The fact Manchester City have stopped the monopoly that United, Arsenal and Chelsea had before they they were brought over is something I actually consider a blessing.

Much rather see Citeh as champs every season anyhow than those other insufferable clubs I mentioned who have had it too good, for too long..

Pep is the highest paid manager in the world, you'd hope he's delivering results for that kind of money.

Burn wasn't surplus. Potter loved him but his contract was running out and they were doubling his wages.

That didn't answer my question though.

Would he have done it with far less money spent?

What quality players come in for 20 million and under.
And Potter could afford to let him go.

And yes, he would have. Bruno and Burn didn't play until Mid feb, by that stage Howe had already stabilised the team, going 3-4-4. Before that Newcastle were 0-5-6

And Potter could afford to let him go.

And yes, he would have. Bruno and Burn didn't play until Mid feb, by that stage Howe had already stabilised the team, going 3-4-4. Before that Newcastle were 0-5-6
You mean when trippier came into the side?

Pep is the highest paid manager in the world, you'd hope he's delivering results for that kind of money.
His wages have nothing to do with whether he's doing a good job or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back