Premier Lg EPL Matchday 38 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Everton are reminding me of Sunderland in the mid-10s and Wigan of the early-10s who are always finding a way to get out of jail. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go in next season whether they eventually go down like the aforementioned or make some drastic changes at the top to turn things around. Those problems haven't exactly been solved yet.

Oh 😳 didn't expect that. Goodluck next season!

I think I’ll be watching them as the sideshow, never expected them ever to arrive but I am stoked for what it will inject into the area.

Everton are reminding me of Sunderland in the mid-10s and Wigan of the early-10s who are always finding a way to get out of jail. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go in next season whether they eventually go down like the aforementioned or make some drastic changes at the top to turn things around. Those problems haven't exactly been solved yet.
Not having a go but where has this notion come that we're suddenly always escaping relegation? Seen it around social media/TV quite a bit in recent weeks.

It's been 2 recent seasons of relegation scraps, prior to that we've finished:

22/23 = 17th
21/22 = 16th
20/21 = 10th
19/20 = 12th
18/19 = 8th
17/18 = 8th

Have to remember, we had no striker this year at all and no fullbacks by the end of it. Lampard aside, the injury crisis has been far worse than any other relegation candidate team yet we survived. If we can be more efficient with our signings and have less major injuries, I can see us getting back to 10th-12th rather easily and then push on eventually back to the Top 10.

Not having a go but where has this notion come that we're suddenly always escaping relegation? Seen it around social media/TV quite a bit in recent weeks.

It's been 2 recent seasons of relegation scraps, prior to that we've finished:

22/23 = 17th
21/22 = 16th
20/21 = 10th
19/20 = 12th
18/19 = 8th
17/18 = 8th

Have to remember, we had no striker this year at all and no fullbacks by the end of it. Lampard aside, the injury crisis has been far worse than any other relegation candidate team yet we survived. If we can be more efficient with our signings and have less major injuries, I can see us getting back to 10th-12th rather easily and then push on eventually back to the Top 10.

It's the last few seasons, surely you see it too? It's the late sacking and survival, followed by the late sacking and survival, it's happened three times now hasn't it? It's the cycle that sunk Leeds and you need to snap it too. Surely Dyche isn't there next season.

It's the last few seasons, surely you see it too? It's the late sacking and survival, followed by the late sacking and survival, it's happened three times now hasn't it? It's the cycle that sunk Leeds and you need to snap it too. Surely Dyche isn't there next season.
Benitez & Lampard were both sacked due to poor performances that had us firmly in relegation terrority, so only two times not three. Prior to them, the likes of Silva/Koeman/Martinez were sacked more because we weren't achieving Europe/Top place finishes, not so much actual relegation/survival positions.

Both the kind of managers that should never have been hired in the first place, hence why Everton fans are chanting Sack the Board every game and want to see change at the top so these mishiring's do not continue.

Dyche is a far better manager for us than Benitez & Lampard and can offer some stability while we re-find ourselves as at least mid table team.

Benitez & Lampard were both sacked due to poor performances that had us firmly in relegation terrority, so only two times not three. Prior to them, the likes of Silva/Koeman/Martinez were sacked more because we weren't achieving Europe/Top place finishes, not so much actual relegation/survival positions.

Both the kind of managers that should never have been hired in the first place, hence why Everton fans are chanting Sack the Board every game and want to see change at the top so these mishiring's do not continue.

Dyche is a far better manager for us than Benitez & Lampard and can offer some stability while we re-find ourselves as at least mid table team.

The point though is that the sacking a manager to survive relegation with a new manager who survives only to get drawn in the following season who you sack to survive and so on is the same death spiral Sunderland and Wigan got into. It looks pretty apparent from the outside.

I would think/hope you move on Dyche and bring in someone to reset or else you're going to be here again in 12 months.

The point though is that the sacking a manager to survive relegation with a new manager who survives only to get drawn in the following season who you sack to survive and so on is the same death spiral Sunderland and Wigan got into. It looks pretty apparent from the outside.

I would think/hope you move on Dyche and bring in someone to reset or else you're going to be here again in 12 months.
Who would we be able to get that is better than Dyche? Like I'm not really disagreeing with you per se but it's easier said than done to replace Dyche, who has a proven record in the Prem with Burnley and has done well with very little good players with Everton.

I'm not saying we won't go the way of Sunderland but I am hopeful this latest scare will finally see change at board level and see us sign an actual striker or two. Last season's escape I believe was seen as a one-off internally, now the reality is a lot more needs to be done to get us back up where we belong.

Who would we be able to get that is better than Dyche? Like I'm not really disagreeing with you per se but it's easier said than done to replace Dyche, who has a proven record in the Prem with Burnley and has done well with very little good players with Everton.

I'm not saying we won't go the way of Sunderland but I am hopeful this latest scare will finally see change at board level and see us sign an actual striker or two. Last season's escape I believe was seen as a one-off internally, now the reality is a lot more needs to be done to get us back up where we belong.

But that's the trap right? You ask who you could get that's better but then you're here in 10 months hiring that someone, or someone to pull you out of the hole. Why not go hard at Cooper at Forest? I think he's likely on his way out of that club and he's a very good manager. What about Carrick? Someone young and exciting who can rejuvenate the club.

But that's the trap right? You ask who you could get that's better but then you're here in 10 months hiring that someone, or someone to pull you out of the hole. Why not go hard at Cooper at Forest? I think he's likely on his way out of that club and he's a very good manager. What about Carrick? Someone young and exciting who can rejuvenate the club.
I think the issues at our club extend way beyond the manager's position. Not saying it's out of the question but at board level it's quite bad, our physio department is abhorrent at keeping players fit and clearly those in charge of signings have lacked extensively.

I believe you can get away with keeping a stable manager like Dyche while you fix those three key areas. Once those areas are fixed and we're back to a mid-table team with stability, new stadium finished and profits being made, then you can go for the ambitious manager if Dyche has gotten us as far as he can.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows but right now we've gone through far too many managers and every time it keeps failing. Let's try fixing other areas for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Leicester got back into the prem when their amazing scout found all those great talents. But that scout was only effective when he was under the radar . As soon as he revealed his methods they no longer worked anymore. Just like moneyball in the MLB no longer worked when it became common knowledge.
The leicester guy used moneyball for his own method.

I remember when Leicester got back into the prem when their amazing scout found all those great talents. But that scout was only effective when he was under the radar . As soon as he revealed his methods they no longer worked anymore. Just like moneyball in the MLB no longer worked when it became common knowledge.
The leicester guy used moneyball for his own method.
And then he went to Everton....

I'm delighted that Everton are staying up, but unless there's a change of ownership then we'll be back in the same situation again this time next year imo.
They do have a better manager though, so with a full preseason + his own player recruitment I don't think we see Everton in the relegation battle next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back