EPL Matchday 4 - On Optus Sport

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
You'd have to admit CR7 with the millions in his bank account behind him has more chance avoiding jail and even a guilty charge regardless of if he did or didn't do something than your normal person on the same charge
Fair call. Let me rephrase if I may. If there is sufficient evidence of his guilt, then I am sure the case will be taken further and will potentially end up in the courts where all parties will have their say and the evidence will be scrutinised. Unlike us mere mortals, some in this world can avoid or reduce the consequences of their actions.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I think it's pretty reasonable to view the civil settlement as indicating there is possible substance to the allegations. If there was absolutely nothing to it there's no way that a civil settlement would ever have gone ahead.

But this is a discussion for the thread dedicated to it and all in the past now.
Without getting into the minutiae, the settlement equated to roughly a weeks wages for the player who had literally just signed for Real Madrid. The advice he received could well have been to pay off the accuser (whether rightfully or wrongly accused) and move on.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I think posters did give a sh*t when it first arose(plenty of chat about it), its just become relevant again as hes joined the league 99% follow on here.
Nobody seemed to give a s**t when he was winning 4 UCL titles and Ballon Dor's at Real or do most not follow that comp on here?

Without getting into the minutiae, the settlement equated to roughly a weeks wages for the player who had literally just signed for Real Madrid. The advice he received could well have been to pay off the accuser (whether rightfully or wrongly accused) and move on.

That's exactly what is was, it made more sense to pay a relatively low sum to be done with it. It shouldn't be seen as an admission of guilt.

The civil case will be interesting but end of the day it was investigated more than once, police found no grounds to make a charge both times.
Is it a good look for Ronaldo, definitely not, but that doesn't make him a rapist, but people seem more intent to label him so instead of looking at the facts.

Nobody seemed to give a sh*t when he was winning 4 UCL titles and Ballon Dor's at Real or do most not follow that comp on here?

It's definitely a United thing, anyone saying otherwise is taking the piss.

The civil case will be interesting but end of the day it was investigated more than once, police found no grounds to make a charge both times.
New to Bigfooty are we?

That won’t matter he’ll be labelled a rapist with gay abandon before even being found guilty.

We’re still drug cheats despite 3 bodies saying we had nothing illegal to do with Dank..

I’m with Bojan. Der Spiegel doesn’t on its own prove anything. If it is tested in a court and he’s found guilty then fair enough.

New to Bigfooty are we?

That won’t matter he’ll be labelled a rapist with gay abandon before even being found guilty.

We’re still drug cheats despite 3 bodies saying we had nothing illegal to do with Dank..

I’m with Bojan. Der Spiegel doesn’t on its own prove anything. If it is tested in a court and he’s found guilty then fair enough.

It'll never be tested in court because more than once the police knew they had no case against Ronaldo.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
RM won in 2016, 2017 and 2018, the story came out in 2017.

Well no. The initial Der Spiegel article was published 29th September 2018, which was a few months after Ronaldo had transferred to Juventus. And for the record, a thread was started about the allegations and the article also on the 29th - so no, it's not just a United thing.

Well no. The initial Der Spiegel article was published 29th September 2018, which was a few months after Ronaldo had transferred to Juventus. And for the record, a thread was started about the allegations and the article also on the 29th - so no, it's not just a United thing.

What do you mean 'well no'? I'm offering you a fact as to when it leaked. Feel free to follow the below link.

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...stiano-ronaldo-rape-allegation-a-1143910.html

I’m innocent but I’ll pay you off on the condition you destroy all evidence and keep your mouth shut!

How can you blame people think there’s some guilt there?

One weeks wages? It's * all, if it had been millions than sure I could see your point, but one weeks wages instead of a long legal battle?

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
What do you mean 'well no'? I'm offering you a fact as to when it leaked. Feel free to follow the below link.

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...stiano-ronaldo-rape-allegation-a-1143910.html

Fair enough. My apologies. Clearly the story took on more legs once the accuser was made more public, but I'll take the loss on that one. If I had come across the story at the time, I'd have posted about it.

Obviously, the whole story is going to become more publicised and relevant on here when it involves the EPL because that's the league the vast majority of posters engage with. I take issue with the labelling of "it's just a way to get at United" when it has been discussed at length on this forum well before he signed with United.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I’m innocent but I’ll pay you off on the condition you destroy all evidence and keep your mouth shut!

How can you blame people think there’s some guilt there?

I don't mind so much Man Ure fans defending Ronnie or thinking he is innocent, but the ones (and not talking about about any MUFC fans here btw) who are denigrating his accuser, calling her a liar/gold digger or even worse misogynist terms (esp on Facebook and Twitter over the years) that s**t me a lot.
But a be fair, a lot of them seem to be Madrid fanboys and or those plonkers/plastics who just support Ronnie at which club he plays for, it's far from an United supporter thing only.

Fair enough. My apologies. Clearly the story took on more legs once the accuser was made more public, but I'll take the loss on that one. If I had come across the story at the time, I'd have posted about it.

All good, we've landed on different sides of a fence that will likely never be resolved unless one of the two parties involved change the narrative.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Nobody seemed to give a sh*t when he was winning 4 UCL titles and Ballon Dor's at Real or do most not follow that comp on here?
I dont really think there as much interest or passion in the UCL or La Liga as there is is for the Prem which 99% of us support passionately on here. Out of mind out of sight I guess.

Just my opinion that it's become more relevant now hes back, I dont think it's a United thing and he'd be copping the same s**t at Chelsea, Liverpool or City too.

And I don't really have an opinion on it either way.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I swear I saw his lower leg get snapped, but apparently it's an ankle dislocation, that has since been popped back in. Who knows what ligament or muscle damage was done. Initially I thought his season was over, but maybe he'll be back before Christmas.
Let's wait and see, it's pretty common in ankle dislocations to still break bones. If it's a clean dislocation it will be huge and he could be back in a couple of months! But with our record lately, I'm expecting him to miss the entire season.

One weeks wages? It's fu** all, if it had been millions than sure I could see your point, but one weeks wages instead of a long legal battle?
What?? It’s the fact that he paid it at all not what proportion of his weekly pay. His weekly wage is only relevant is that for someone so wealthy they wouldn’t proceed to (civil) court and flatten it completely. With the added motivation which that it would also dissuade anyone else making up accusations.

What?? It’s the fact that he paid it at all not what proportion of his weekly pay. His weekly wage is only relevant is that for someone so wealthy they wouldn’t proceed to (civil) court and flatten it completely. With the added motivation which that it would also dissuade anyone else making up accusations.

Not sure why you can't understand why it's a nothing move to make a small payment and move on.

Also what destroyed evidence was done? There was never any to start with. The payment happened a decent time after the accusation.

Also what destroyed evidence was done? There was never any to start with. The payment happened a decent time after the accusation.
Then why include it in the agreement?

BB8C8B82-CD28-4863-B9AA-AEB2CFDFF9A0.jpeg

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Glen,

I understand both sides POV on this and listing evidence on both sides to support ones arguments is helpful. I hope you understand the perspective of others who do not like to label someone a murderer, rapist, or anything else of such a serious nature without the allegations being tested in a court of law.

For me, I am not dismissing the allegations at all and understand the conversation is uncomfortable for many, noting one poster in particular has referenced their own experiences. Whilst I privately make my own judgements on people I certainly won't label them publicly unless the evidence is overwhelming, there is a sense of injustice (OJ Simpson), or it is proven beyond doubt. The Der Spiegel evidence prima facie is damning but for many reasons (which I won't go into in this post but am happy to discuss), I take with a pinch of salt but do not completely dismiss.

I have empathy for people who know more about this stuff than I or have been personally affected. I think it was Jaymin who referenced this. However, I won't give much time for people who imply that United fans support rape or idolise a rapist. You seem to be one of the few willing to discuss the detail as opposed to just slandering people.
This is the bit that stood out though mate. All of you United supporters are celebrating his return to the club. Idolise is the correct term. All this the GOAT is home etc, it's basically been overwhelming the amount of joy Ronaldo's return to United has brought fans on here.

Yet you cant deny the murky waters he swims in regarding this whole rape incident which look quite damning given some of the evidence. Some people say, if he's guilty he would be in jail but the justice system doesnt work like that. Not to mention the incident in question happened 12 years ago so it's difficult to get real evidence for something that happened so long ago. With Ronaldo's money and power and excellent laywers, it will be somewhat easy for them to tie the whole thing up in red tape and eventually make it go away.

I must admit I was a bit shocked by some United fans on here with the hero worship. And yeah, I get it, I've been there with Suarez. You revere someone and he does something pretty shitty and you dont know where to turn. The two incidents are obviously very, very different though.

Surely with a bit of common sense, United fans could just take a step back and admit that it's all a bit s**t. Support him if you want to, I know it helps your club etc and sure if you dont want to call someone a rapist because he hasnt being convicted, that's ok too. But the blind loyalty and support and idolising someone who has been caught up in a rape scandal is a bit off for mine. And that's all I was trying to say about it.

Back