EPL Matchday 5

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I see. And when referring to Everton as the only decent side you've played..?
The comment where I called us s**t spoke only about conceding goals and home form.

"Most of us now know we're sh*t now so we don't really expect much more than conceding goals and not winning at home nowadays"

Away from home we've only played twice in the league and scored 11, hard to argue that its not working well for us there. Even if we should have been behind at Southampton before clicking into gear. In the farmers league when away from home against inferior opposition we've been less convincing and nearly needed extra time in Macedonia.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Worth 2x the normal ban tried to fu** both players in one action

An extreme example but Musky got an 8 game ban instead of the standard prescribed 3 game ban (and rightly so):

Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
As I said in the other thread, I kept an eye on Calvin Phillips.

When Leeds have the ball they push 4 or even 5 men forward which leaves him with an acre of space in midfield to do what he wants with the ball. He jogs from one side of the pitch to the other to pick it up and push it forward. He played well but there's a lot of players who would look good in that sort of system. England play much more negatively so he doesn't have much time on the ball and ends up passing it backwards 90% of the time.

When Leeds are defending he acts as a midfield sweeper similar to his England role. I thought his positioning was poor for the Wolves goal. He should have been pressing on the edge of the area. After the goal he dropped into the backline. That seemed more tactical than that he had run out of legs.

Thought Phillips had a pretty ordinary game this morning. Seemed to be lacking a bit of energy maybe due to the England games and his passing was a bit off.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
An extreme example but Musky got an 8 game ban instead of the standard prescribed 3 game ban (and rightly so):

Thats one of the worst tackles of all time. Dunk's was bad because he tried to take two guys out. But Muscat is a pure thug and looked to ruin an up and coming career and isn't even on the same scale. If Muscat only got 8 games for that 4-5 sounds about right for Dunk

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Thats one of the worst tackles of all time. Dunk's was bad because he tried to take two guys out. But Muscat is a pure thug and looked to ruin an up and coming career and isn't even on the same scale. If Muscat only got 8 games for that 4-5 sounds about right for Dunk

Roy Keane even only got 5 games for the Inge Haaland assault. I guess they would have been much harsher on him if he admitted at the time that it was pre-meditated.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Following the logic used defending the Robertson kick out No retrospective ban proves it was never a red card offence.

Or does that logic only work if I offered to put $100 on it..

It doesn't confirm anything of the sort.

That incident was subject to a retrospective ban because it wasn't dealt with during the match. The fact that it wasn't even considered for retrospective action is confirmation that it never was a red card offence (it never was, most who claim it are doing so in response to Everton being criticised)

The Pickford incident was dealt with at the time. The FA can still take action but only under specific circumstances and the decision was that the incident did not meet that criteria.

Comparing both is simply daft.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Phillips still coming to grips with higher league, not sure how he’s in the England team tbh

Agree. As I said the Leeds system makes him look good.

I reckon Shelvey is a better passer. Declan Rice is a better defensive mid. Winks after that. Henderson is best of all those guys and underrated. Was all over the field v Everton. Consistently holding and moving the ball into dangerous situations.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Following the logic used defending the Robertson kick out No retrospective ban proves it was never a red card offence.

Or does that logic only work if I offered to put $100 on it..

But remember, it's likely cost Pool the title....The 7-2 drubbing they copped 2 weeks prior has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

I do watch you play, pal. I'd have you only behind Everton and Villa on performances so far this season. If you haven't noticed, most sides are struggling defensively this season, at least you're able to find the net with regularity and probably have the form striker of the division.
4 winnable games coming up. Go from 2-2-1 to 5-2-1 and things look different.

Obviously yesterday was an uncharacteristic lapse to drop points, but should be two more than we are. Still annoyed VAR robbed the Newcastle game.

Starting to gain confidence this season will be fruitful, look like being able to score 3 every game, and doubt we concede 3 each game.

Weird comment about the highest scorers in the division who are probably one of the inform teams.
Have given up talking about us with him. Sad when you can’t talk about your club with someone in your own fanbase.

He does player ratings now. So far 23 players this season and Mourinho (6.0/10) and 16/23 are rated 6 or less on average. Including the back end of last season we have 1 defeat in 16 matches, our best run in 2 years 7 months... and most of the squad barely rates a pass.

We are 7th and played nobody of note other than Everton. Not disagreeing with the fact Kane is on fire, Son is on fire, but we are 7th and conceded the 3rd most goals in the top half. Everyone is conceding goals this season but for us it's not just a current issue. Only 1 non-relegated side kept less clean sheets than us last season. We signed new full backs which helps but Sanchez is getting worse, Toby is past his prime and getting worse & the jury is out for many on Dier who I think is our best CB.

I never said anyone else wasn't sh*t. Think it'll be one of those seasons where being just the least sh*t should be enough to get 3rd which is now achievable. But when you know you've got it in you to concede soft goals like Spurs do why would you melt about it happening?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We've been poor at set pieces under Mourinho, Poch, Sherwood and AVB. Last time we were any good was when Michael Dawson and Ledley King were first choice CBs under 'Arry

It's not major surgery but something that's been left to bleed for 8+ years now.

Maybe Mou needs Fellaini back in January to defend them

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
We've been poor at set pieces under Mourinho, Poch, Sherwood and AVB. Last time we were any good was when Michael Dawson and Ledley King were first choice CBs under 'Arry

It's not major surgery but something that's been left to bleed for 8+ years now.

Sounds like Arsenal and their eternal need for a Viera replacement, which looks like it was finally filled 14 years after he left.

For Spurs fans, here's hoping you don't have to wait that long - it's pretty obvious to all observers that CB is Spurs weakest position

The overreaction to the VVD injury has been bizarre. Talks of rule changes, VAR, Keith Hackett even saying that Liverpool should sue Pickford.

You'd think it was the first time a player had been crocked by a shitty tackle.

Remember back a few years, we had loads of leg breakers not punished and Pep said that we need to start protecting players. He was to told to stop moaning, and I think Colin w***er just said "welcome to England".

Back