EPL Matchday 7 - On Optus Sport

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It was a potential penalty, they would see if its a foul, and if it was they'd look to see if it was I side the box.

Not much contact? LOL.
It was also a potential red if classed outside the box as he was the last man as Matip may not have been close enough in cover.

Easier to score when you’re a yard ahead of the last defender.
Stills don't always tell the tale.

Fabinho seemed to hesitate and that gave Rodri time..should’ve put it away

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Managed to avoid the result until I had the opportunity to watch the mini match on Optus. Liverpool were outplayed in that first half however did well to get to half time without conceding. Foden I thought should’ve scored in the first half and his eventual goal was very nicely taken. Clinical.

City very good overall and I too feel Milner was very fortunate to stay on the pitch. That should’ve been a second yellow. Rodri with an outstanding block.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Managed to avoid the result until I had the opportunity to watch the mini match on Optus. Liverpool were outplayed in that first half however did well to get to half time without conceding. Foden I thought should’ve scored in the first half and his eventual goal was very nicely taken. Clinical.

City very good overall and I too feel Milner was very fortunate to stay on the pitch. That should’ve been a second yellow. Rodri with an outstanding block.
Was definitely a second yellow. Wonderful second half. Thought a draw was a fair result. Salah goal was out of this world.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Was definitely a second yellow. Wonderful second half. Thought a draw was a fair result. Salah goal was out of this world.

Brilliant goal it was, he did as he pleased. Second half overall was very enjoyable to watch, and it was a nice touch after the whistle with Klopp and Pep. Genuine mutual respect there.

It was also a potential red if classed outside the box as he was the last man as Matip may not have been close enough in cover.
Looking at the still it does look to be a goal scoring opportunity. Didn't realise that at the time, just looking whether it was inside the box or not.

Oh. I was talking about the other incident where Milner sticks his leg out on the wing and catches Bernardo (?).
Yeah, that was a pretty obvious bottle job from the ref. This one was before his first yellow iirc. Foul just on the edge of the box. No free given, if it was there would have been a yellow/red decision to make.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah, that was a pretty obvious bottle job from the ref. This one was before his first yellow iirc. Foul just on the edge of the box. No free given, if it was there would have been a yellow/red decision to make.

Foden went down on purpose because he was out near the corner of the box Below is further on in the first half with more contact. He continued because he thought he was going to push it past Allison but was blocked.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 9.02.14 am.png

Also this image is telling, instead of taking the shot on goal he goes to ground and appeals for a foul with nobody near him

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 9.10.49 am.png

Cheat.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Foden went down on purpose because he was out near the corner of the box Below is further on in the first half with more contact. He continued because he thought he was going to push it past Allison but was blocked.

View attachment 1253034

Also this image is telling, instead of taking the shot on goal he goes to ground and appeals for a foul with nobody near him

View attachment 1253036

Cheat.
It can be a foul even if they don't fall over. The contact is enough to cause him to stumble a bit

Not sure why i am bothering, you will never admit Liverpool had a decision go for them.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It can be a foul even if they don't fall over. The contact is enough to cause him to stumble a bit

Not sure why i am bothering, you will never admit Liverpool had a decision go for them.

Except later on in the half there was more contact from Milner challenging him when he was through on goal.. Difference was Foden thought he was about to push the ball past Allison for a tap in so he stayed on his feet this time. It was also telling that Foden chose to throw himself to the ground and appeal for a foul instead of taking the one on one chance available to him (and you can watch the replay, he gets up and throws himself to the ground again).

I've admitted plenty of times when Liverpool have had a call go their way but this wasn't one of them. Would say Milner was definitely lucky to not get a second yellow. Would also say Bernardo Silva was lucky not to got get a second yellow when he chopped Salah down on the right wing late in the game. Guess that's the referee's prerogative and he was at least consistent with how he dealt with both incidents.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I've admitted plenty of times when Liverpool have had a call go their way but this wasn't one of them. Would say Milner was definitely lucky to not get a second yellow. Would also say Bernardo Silva was lucky not to got get a second yellow when he chopped Salah down on the right wing late in the game. Guess that's the referee's prerogative and he was at least consistent with how he dealt with both incidents.
And there it is, on the off chance that you admit Liverpool got a decision go their way, you will find another supposed decision against them to make it look like it balances out

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Milner was very fortunate to get away with this one.

It would not have affected the result though - Salah does not need teammates to do his thing :p
Yeah definitely should have been sent off.

You go down to 10 it completely changes the complexion of a game, especially against a team like City.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And there it is, on the off chance that you admit Liverpool got a decision go their way, you will find another supposed decision against them to make it look like it balances out

Likewise with yourself who seems fixated on the notion that nothing ever goes against Liverpool. It does and in the context of the game the referee let many fouls go against both teams. So it wasn't surprising that he didn't immediately penalise a second foul with yellows for both players despite both challenges being yellow card worthy. It's not surprising in the least that you focus only on one incident though.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Likewise with yourself who seems fixated on the notion that nothing ever goes against Liverpool. It does and in the context of the game the referee let many fouls go against both teams. So it wasn't surprising that he didn't immediately penalise a second foul with yellows for both players despite both challenges being yellow card worthy. It's not surprising in the least that you focus only on one incident though.
Two incidents. Milner should have been sent off twice. First one for denying a goal scoring opportunity and then for the 2nd yellow.

Back