EPL Matchday 8 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think the most logical thing to do would be in the alternate years have 3-4 weeks post-season to get all International Qualifiers done. Doing so would then mean you could have a week off mid-season over Christmas and still finish the season earlier. Surely would result in less injuries and burnout.

So for the 2022 WC you'd have the qualifying campaign at the end of the 20/21 season, and the 2024 Euros would have their qualifying at the end of the 22/23 season.
What about ‘24 WC? Every year either a WC or Euros?…tbh wouldn’t mind that from a fan point of view but kind of dilutes the importance IMO.

What about ‘24 WC? Every year either a WC or Euros?…tbh wouldn’t mind that from a fan point of view but kind of dilutes the importance IMO.

Well no because that takes us back to the issue of when to stage qualifiers. A WC every two years is a terrible idea as you say it dilutes the importance of the event.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
A world cup every 2 years is a terrible idea in every sense. Nothing wrong with the current calendar other than it would be ideal if all continental tournaments could be played at the same time (ie AFCON in 2024, Asian Cup 2024, Copa in 2024 etc). This would simplify everything for clubs and countries.

AFCON every 2 years needs to be changed to quadrennial like all other continental tournaments.

FBlzdquWQAkdtTx
FBlzemlWQAc4-1G

They’re going to play with 36 hour gap between games?! Risky. Anyway I want Raph in the front seats

Especially with the knock he's just recovered from.

Is it my imagination or did International Breaks used to only be 2 games. Why are they three now?

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There’s no way those that played will be made to back up less than 48 hours later, surely. Maybe it’s ok for keepers I don’t know, but I’d be stunned if Fabinho plays for us.

Having a World Cup qualifier two days before league games recommence is a disgrace. Courtois was spot on with what he was saying.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Especially with the knock he's just recovered from.

Is it my imagination or did International Breaks used to only be 2 games. Why are they three now?

Only CONEMBOL has 3 games per international break. Playing catchup due covid.

Uruguay fixture late Thursday night Montevideo time followed by a 12.30pm KO on Saturday for Liverpool is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Only CONEMBOL has 3 games per international break. Playing catchup due covid.

Uruguay fixture late Thursday night Montevideo time followed by a 12.30pm KO on Saturday for Liverpool is a joke.

UEFA nations had three games last international break and definitely did it a few times last season as well.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
There’s no way those that played will be made to back up less than 48 hours later, surely. Maybe it’s ok for keepers I don’t know, but I’d be stunned if Fabinho plays for us.

Having a World Cup qualifier two days before league games recommence is a disgrace. Courtois was spot on with what he was saying.
Yeah I'd say the keepers might be fine but I think Fab played the 90 so I'd be surprised if he plays for us.

Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
Raphinha is starting for Brazil this morning so he will be no chance to play on Saturday I would have thought.

Raphinha is starting for Brazil this morning so he will be no chance to play on Saturday I would have thought.

I'd say he's a chance, just depends if he plays the full 90 and how he pulls up.

Prefer we bench him and not take the risk. 36 hours just too short a time.

Prefer we bench him and not take the risk. 36 hours just too short a time.

Definitely, although also depends on the conditions on the jet back. Bielsa seemed pretty open minded to him playing depending on how he pulls up. Hope so for my FPL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back