Premier Lg EPL Matchday 8 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really the same.

Hull just making the final was an amazing achievement, i can understand their fans wanting to keep a memento of that moment.
What you're actually saying is that they're a smaller club that can't compete financially and due to that, any shining moment should be treasured.

Which is accurate but football absolutely sucks for that.

Each to their own I guess.

Pretty similar to the NRL Grand Final where the Broncos were up 16 and lost - I'd want absolutely zero reminder of that game at all haha.

If it was a team that had never made an NRL Grand Final before and was unlikely to ever make one again I'd agree it's comparative lol.

What you're actually saying is that they're a smaller club that can't compete financially and due to that, any shining moment should be treasured.

Yep, a comparison would be if in your CL run you'd somehow made it to the final and gone up 1-0 early on. Couple that with a context of you being out in a pub in Sydney surrounded by about 50-100 Leicester fans (or at least people supporting Leicester) all going absolutely nuts when the goal goes in. Even if you had gone on to lose that Final, that moment in time would be something you'd be pretty happy to relive.

Yep, a comparison would be if in your CL run you'd somehow made it to the final and gone up 1-0 early on. Couple that with a context of you being out in a pub in Sydney surrounded by about 50-100 Leicester fans (or at least people supporting Leicester) all going absolutely nuts when the goal goes in. Even if you had gone on to lose that Final, that moment in time would be something you'd be pretty happy to relive.
Nothing will ever take away Amsterdam 2019. The fact we didn't win the next game is irrelevant. I don't even look at the final with sadness, but proud they made it that far against the odds

No, it absolutely wouldn't haha. That to me is a painful memory.

Carlton going 5 goals up in the prelim only to s**t the bed, doesn't make me happy. Over 2 decades I've waited for that game. I don't think of that first quarter fondly, I think of the fact we gave up that lead.

Different strokes for different folks. You know I've always had the mantra 'if you're not first, you're last'. It applies to these situations for me.

I guess thats pretty much the way its been since they changed into to the Premier League. Only 4 or 5 clubs win pretty much everything.

But its not all about winning, you can still celebrate moments(like Art said).

Nothing will ever take away Amsterdam 2019. The fact we didn't win the next game is irrelevant. I don't even look at the final with sadness, but proud they made it that far against the odds
Yeah, i would have felt the same way about 2016 if we hadnt won. Just making it there was almost enough for me.

No, it absolutely wouldn't haha. That to me is a painful memory.

Carlton going 5 goals up in the prelim only to s**t the bed, doesn't make me happy. Over 2 decades I've waited for that game. I don't think of that first quarter fondly, I think of the fact we gave up that lead.

Different strokes for different folks. You know I've always had the mantra 'if you're not first, you're last'. It applies to these situations for me.

But the memory I'm highlighting isn't the end result, it's the pinnacle of the journey.

Not really the same.

Hull just making the final was an amazing achievement, i can understand their fans wanting to keep a memento of that moment.

Oldham made the League Cup final against Forest. My mates came down for the game and we went out until stupid o'clock the night before. It was a special occasion to walk down Wembley Way to see my little club, although somewhat tarnished by a massive hangover. All I remember from the game was their winning goal but I'll never watch it again. We were absolutely gutted. I'm proud that we reached the final and I still treasure my Littlewoods Cup final mug.

Good final that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has gone pretty far from the original point that having goals like that framed are a pretty standard thing and not in the same vein as 'The Streak' or 'We Put Pressure On' style memes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back