Premier Lg EPL Matchday 8 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

There's agreement that there's no law about deflection but I don't agree with the ESPN pundits. Van Dijk made his body unnaturally bigger by the position of his arm. As the law states, by having his arm in such a position, he took the risk of his arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.

1696794580276-png.1825918
That is where a still doesn’t show the context as there was nothing unnatural about it.

It’s a selectively chosen freeze frame.

Here’s another one 0.0001 seconds earlier (after the ball hits his thigh but before it hits his arm), his arm hasn’t been knocked out to the side yet and is very much down in a ‘natural position’.

2F92F4B3-D631-42D7-974A-2D589BDA7CAA.jpeg

8min 5sec mark in this video

Here’s another one 0.0001 seconds earlier (after the ball hits his thigh but before it hits his arm), his arm hasn’t been knocked out to the side yet and is very much down in a ‘natural position’.

View attachment 1827609

I'm confused. His arm is still out to the side there before the ball hits it. He can put one arm by his side but not the other?

View attachment 1827609

His arm is about as far out as the Romero penalty against Arsenal and also the Romero non penalty against United. Just depends on which ref is doing the game

View attachment 1827609

Correct. There were another 94.9999 minutes in the game where the ball was not hitting van Dijk's outstretched arm.

Was looking at some analysis on City's last game.
1696955592713.png

On Optus Sport they were saying City needed some more width when they were on the ball. Arsenal in the same situation have Martinelli out wide, Walker is worried about the central players run inwards, then Martinelli comes in after and scores the deflected goal.
1696956609161.png 1696956797743.png

Was looking at some analysis on City's last game.
View attachment 1827828

On Optus Sport they were saying City needed some more width when they were on the ball. Arsenal in the same situation have Martinelli out wide, Walker is worried about the central players run inwards, then Martinelli comes in after and scores the deflected goal.
View attachment 1827831View attachment 1827832

Haaland with zero shots on goal which I read is also a first for him at City.

For many years I used to watch the Liverpool and City matches and just think “Arsenal are miles away from this”. The games were on another level tactically and and in skills. Elite.

Has taken quite sometime however that was as mature and a controlled performance as I’ve seen from Arsenal. Helps having a player of this calibre in the team:

Early Christmas present maybe?

I assume you're mocking it, but these companies do this for most games/significant goals. I got given one as a gift of Curtis Davies putting us 2-0 up in the FA Cup final. It's just meant to represent a moment in time, not make it bigger than it is.

I assume you're mocking it, but these companies do this for most games/significant goals. I got given one as a gift of Curtis Davies putting us 2-0 up in the FA Cup final. It's just meant to represent a moment in time, not make it bigger than it is.
Do you have it displayed? That's utterly bizarre to me, I wouldn't want the constant reminder of being 2-0 up and then, well you know.

Yeah they are pretty terrible.

They would good if it was a significant goal.

Like corner taken quickly or something. But like a random winner from Martinelli this early in the season?? Or the 2-0 up in the FA Cup final only to know what happens after. Dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Overreacting”, from the same referee who gave two yellows in 11 seconds in the same passage of play. That’s gold :D

I presume the Martinelli v Wolves double yellow card is being referenced here?

I presume the Martinelli v Wolves double yellow card is being referenced here?

Yes correct. Have never seen anything like that before.

I actually feel he’s one of the better referees overall (what that says about his colleagues, I don’t know). I’ve noticed the increased presence of Webb and Dean in the media this season, trying to get on the front foot with the ongoing discourse of decisions. It’s almost a weekly occurrence now.

Yes correct. Have never seen anything like that before.

I actually feel he’s one of the better referees overall (what that says about his colleagues, I don’t know). I’ve noticed the increased presence of Webb and Dean in the media this season, trying to get on the front foot with the ongoing discourse of decisions. It’s almost a weekly occurrence now.
Referees are best when unnoticed. Webb's constant presence shows too many contentious incidents need explaining.

The double yellow imo was deserved by Oliver. Both clearly yellow card offences

Referees are best when unnoticed. Webb's constant presence shows too many contentious incidents need explaining.

The double yellow imo was deserved by Oliver. Both clearly yellow card offences

Agree with the first point, wholeheartedly disagree with the second.

When Mike Dean spoke recently about wanting to “protect his mate” (or something to that effect”) in not sending him to look at the monitor, I feel they’ve gone into damage control with how visible they are now on the coverage.

Agree with the first point, wholeheartedly disagree with the second.

When Mike Dean spoke recently about wanting to “protect his mate” (or something to that effect”) in not sending him to look at the monitor, I feel they’ve gone into damage control with how visible they are now on the coverage.
Needs audio like cricket drs, AFL score review and NFL flags.
Much more transparency in real time.

“Overreacting”, from the same referee who gave two yellows in 11 seconds in the same passage of play. That’s gold :D
I'd say that's very much out of character for Oliver, he's a renowned bottler when it comes to making the difficult/controversial decisions.

Needs audio like cricket drs, AFL score review and NFL flags.
Much more transparency in real time.

That would be excellent, yes. I’m surprised it’s not already in place. Does seem to come across as another way to try and protect/limit the questions that come out in the aftermath, and it feeds the narrative that PGMOL is one big “boys club”.

Do you have it displayed? That's utterly bizarre to me, I wouldn't want the constant reminder of being 2-0 up and then, well you know.

It's up there as one of the happiest moments in my time supporting City so I don't see why not.

Each to their own I guess.

Pretty similar to the NRL Grand Final where the Broncos were up 16 and lost - I'd want absolutely zero reminder of that game at all haha.
Not really the same.

Hull just making the final was an amazing achievement, i can understand their fans wanting to keep a memento of that moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back