EPL Matchday 9 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

You've also had shocking luck with injuries.
I think that's generally a poor excuse though. Sure, we've copped some bad injuries to our best players, rather than having our poor squad depth players cop the injuries. It's rotten luck for a rotten club.

But it highlights our lack of squad depth as well, which is an issue since we've spent so much money in the past few years and yet have nothing to show for it. Our best players today was a youth kid in Gordon and 1.5m Demarai Grey. Both got subbed off and we concede 4 goals instantly. Good job Rafa.

The general decision making at the club is borderline awful. Why are we letting King walk but signing Rondon? Why did we pay so much for Iwobi? Why did we buy 3-4 CAM's when we got our first injection of cash years ago. Why did we push so hard to get Marco Silva into the club, then sack him like a year later. Why did we not give Roberto Martinez more time (Done well with Belgium and his sacking begun the merry go round of managers).

Carlo Ancelotti gets a massive contract to come in and immediately ditches us at the first possible chance (Not surprised) and he wasn't even doing a good job either. We had James Rodriguez, only for him to barely play but sit on 200k a week.

I think that's generally a poor excuse though. Sure, we've copped some bad injuries to our best players, rather than having our poor squad depth players cop the injuries. It's rotten luck for a rotten club.

But it highlights our lack of squad depth as well, which is an issue since we've spent so much money in the past few years and yet have nothing to show for it. Our best players today was a youth kid in Gordon and 1.5m Demarai Grey. Both got subbed off and we concede 4 goals instantly. Good job Rafa.

The general decision making at the club is borderline awful. Why are we letting King walk but signing Rondon? Why did we pay so much for Iwobi? Why did we buy 3-4 CAM's when we got our first injection of cash years ago. Why did we push so hard to get Marco Silva into the club, then sack him like a year later. Why did we not give Roberto Martinez more time (Done well with Belgium and his sacking begun the merry go round of managers).

Carlo Ancelotti gets a massive contract to come in and immediately ditches us at the first possible chance (Not surprised) and he wasn't even doing a good job either. We had James Rodriguez, only for him to barely play but sit on 200k a week.

You've got a player in jail on charges that no club could forsee, you have your two best strikers out (well, one, the other scored today on his return), Doucoure out with a broken foot after looking an absolute gem over the opening months, with Gray and Townsend more than holding up their end of the bargain on very cheap/free signings.

I think your business has actually been good this year for once, but a lot of circumstances have combined to make for a few bad results. Bring in a few players in January or next summer and things could improve. I never bought Benitez as a good enough manager though so I do agree there.

Joe Gelhardt looks absolutely mint.

Loved the heart and fight the lads showed, esp after Raphinha went down

I know it's only a draw but it seems like such a psychological win For Leeds, esp against a rising team that just won 3 league games in a row.

Buzzing RN #MOT
Definitely felt like a win and I think that sums up our season so far.
The 2nd half, in particularly the last 25-30 minutes was the best we played all season. Our problem is obvious to see, we need to upgrade the midfield. We can’t continue to have Roberts and Klich starting there. Hopefully seeing Joffy and Summerville play that well will encourage Bielsa to give Bate a run.

You've got a player in jail on charges that no club could forsee, you have your two best strikers out (well, one, the other scored today on his return), Doucoure out with a broken foot after looking an absolute gem over the opening months, with Gray and Townsend more than holding up their end of the bargain on very cheap/free signings.

I think your business has actually been good this year for once, but a lot of circumstances have combined to make for a few bad results. Bring in a few players in January or next summer and things could improve. I never bought Benitez as a good enough manager though so I do agree there.
I appreciate your optimisim but to quote the old "I'm tired Robbie", I am tired.

It's always the same. It's always looking ahead to next season or looking ahead to the transfer window or the new manager. It's never a good squad with good ambitions that are capable of achieving something.

I can forgive the Lions being s**t from 2010 to 2017 because I know the system will see us back to the top at some point. There is no system like that in the Premier League. The clubs are on their own, so it's hard to forgive.

I understand your frustration, believe me I do. Similarly will likely not see us win anything for ages, and am very bitter with the system allowing financial dopers to imbalance the sport. Sometimes get very disenfranchised with the way football is, where sportswashers can throw money around with gay abandon and win everything yet clubs like Bury and Macclesfield can go bust over debts these clubs would not even notice let alone miss.

However, I'd argue Martinez has underachieved with Belgium.
Kompany, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois, Hazard, De Bruyne, Carrasco, Lukaku have made the nucleus of his side over the last few years and they have won nothing while Ronaldo's Portugal won the Euros, and while an equally talented France won a World Cup, and IMO a less talented but better coached Italy have also won the Euros.

I understand your frustration, believe me I do. Similarly will likely not see us win anything for ages, and am very bitter with the system allowing financial dopers to imbalance the sport. Sometimes get very disenfranchised with the way football is, where sportswashers can throw money around with gay abandon and win everything yet clubs like Bury and Macclesfield can go bust over debts these clubs would not even notice let alone miss.

However, I'd argue Martinez has underachieved with Belgium.
Kompany, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois, Hazard, De Bruyne, Carrasco, Lukaku have made the nucleus of his side over the last few years and they have won nothing while Ronaldo's Portugal won the Euros, and while an equally talented France won a World Cup, and IMO a less talented but better coached Italy have also won the Euros.
Agree re: Martinez. I said he's done well but obviously that's not good enough for a team with that quality of talent.

I think the biggest thing was that by sacking him it created instability. Instability that has not been stabilised ever since.

I know that I'm melting tonight but I'm just so over this club. I know it's sport tradition that you stick by your team through thick and thin but the thick & thin is not fleeting with Everton. This isn't like a little dip in form for a year or two for a Man United for example. It's just constant pain, the occasional ray of hope that quickly gets dashed and rinse & repeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its the truth. so much success for so long your fanbase acts like they are owed something. protest here, planes being flown there. spoilt crybabies

Brilliant post. Something United supporters didn’t protest, United supporters didn’t protest against the greatest manager in our clubs history to get him sacked, unlike Arsenal supporters (over a very long time).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back