SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
I think it’s a problem in all sports. Cricket and AFL are the same. If we’re going to use video to make critical match defining calls then we need to make sure it works how it’s supposed to, just creates more problems otherwise. Either have it working flawlessly or scrap it completely and let the guys who are paid to officiate do their jobs. Would much rather a wrong call due to human error than a wrong call from something that is supposed to reduce that same human error. Video also reduces quality of the refs/umpires in general as they always have that fallback and can get a bit complacent.
Thing is.. the EPL is predominantly letting the refs officiate, and people are complaining about it.

The threshold is 'clear and obvious' and the EPL has clearly defined obvious a lot higher than most other leagues. They've done so consistently as I don't think I've seen on-field refs overturned about much in the way of non-penalty calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apollo_creed

Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Me See Tea Tea
Thing is.. the EPL is predominantly letting the refs officiate, and people are complaining about it.
You say that but there were two decisions (goals) overturned last night which were not clear and obvious errors and there was one which was (definitely moreso) and should’ve been a penalty. That isn’t consistent.

And they have not applied decisions re: handball with any consistency either. goals chalked off with handballs, goals not chalked off - seems to change depending on the team/var adjudicator. The handball one is very easy as well - the law has been changed so var shouldnt be applying this inconsistently.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
You say that but there were two decisions (goals) overturned last night which were not clear and obvious errors and there was one which was (definitely moreso) and should’ve been a penalty. That isn’t consistent.

And they have not applied decisions re: handball with any consistency either. goals chalked off with handballs, goals not chalked off - seems to change depending on the team/var adjudicator. The handball one is very easy as well - the law has been changed so var shouldnt be applying this inconsistently.
I guess I'm more thinking with penalty decisions but you're right they do weigh in on goals when there's technicalities.

Sozabarus

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's kind of weird that the anti-VAR crowd's biggest complaint about VAR in the PL is that it isn't being used enough.
That's not what's happening though. If VAR wasn't used for the Vertonghen challenge then we'd all get on with it, but it was used. It caused a lengthy delay in the game and still wasn't overturned.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
That's not what's happening though. If VAR wasn't used for the Vertonghen challenge then we'd all get on with it, but it was used. It caused a lengthy delay in the game and still wasn't overturned.
Because they're checking? I'm not saying they aren't using VAR, I'm saying they aren't overturning decisions.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, Liverpool, Victory
It didnt intervene so technically wasnt used. If the penalty was given VAR would not have reversed the decision. In this case VAR simply deferred to the onfield referees judgement. Which is stupid because any reasonable person says that's a pen.

jod23

TheBrownDog
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Jodly SM is right on how you post re: Spurs. A little more humility wouldnt go astray when talking about Spurs on here.
Err why? The Spurs lads on here... it's been quite the rivalry over the years for whatever reason.

Spurs have been shite. Why can't we talk about it?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snarls Barkley

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
Its probably called a foul more times than not. I’m happy it not to be paid and wish it wasn’t paid more often. Can understand the frustration. Very slight contact, Origi just threw himself forward because it was an awful touch from him.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
There isn't a chance in hell the way Utd have set up today is the work of Ole, lol. Actual structure and a gameplan.

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Could have sworn that was handball on first viewing.

Good to claw back a few points, happy we've still got the consecutive wins record too.

Top Bottom