EPL Matchday 9

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s a problem in all sports. Cricket and AFL are the same. If we’re going to use video to make critical match defining calls then we need to make sure it works how it’s supposed to, just creates more problems otherwise. Either have it working flawlessly or scrap it completely and let the guys who are paid to officiate do their jobs. Would much rather a wrong call due to human error than a wrong call from something that is supposed to reduce that same human error. Video also reduces quality of the refs/umpires in general as they always have that fallback and can get a bit complacent.

Thing is.. the EPL is predominantly letting the refs officiate, and people are complaining about it.

The threshold is 'clear and obvious' and the EPL has clearly defined obvious a lot higher than most other leagues. They've done so consistently as I don't think I've seen on-field refs overturned about much in the way of non-penalty calls.

Thing is.. the EPL is predominantly letting the refs officiate, and people are complaining about it.
You say that but there were two decisions (goals) overturned last night which were not clear and obvious errors and there was one which was (definitely moreso) and should’ve been a penalty. That isn’t consistent.

And they have not applied decisions re: handball with any consistency either. goals chalked off with handballs, goals not chalked off - seems to change depending on the team/var adjudicator. The handball one is very easy as well - the law has been changed so var shouldnt be applying this inconsistently.

You say that but there were two decisions (goals) overturned last night which were not clear and obvious errors and there was one which was (definitely moreso) and should’ve been a penalty. That isn’t consistent.

And they have not applied decisions re: handball with any consistency either. goals chalked off with handballs, goals not chalked off - seems to change depending on the team/var adjudicator. The handball one is very easy as well - the law has been changed so var shouldnt be applying this inconsistently.
I guess I'm more thinking with penalty decisions but you're right they do weigh in on goals when there's technicalities.

It's kind of weird that the anti-VAR crowd's biggest complaint about VAR in the PL is that it isn't being used enough.

That's not what's happening though. If VAR wasn't used for the Vertonghen challenge then we'd all get on with it, but it was used. It caused a lengthy delay in the game and still wasn't overturned.

That's not what's happening though. If VAR wasn't used for the Vertonghen challenge then we'd all get on with it, but it was used. It caused a lengthy delay in the game and still wasn't overturned.

Because they're checking? I'm not saying they aren't using VAR, I'm saying they aren't overturning decisions.

It didnt intervene so technically wasnt used. If the penalty was given VAR would not have reversed the decision. In this case VAR simply deferred to the onfield referees judgement. Which is stupid because any reasonable person says that's a pen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't of overturned the decision if I was a neutral. I can see them being given and not given at times. We've been second best by far.

Could have sworn that was handball on first viewing.

Good to claw back a few points, happy we've still got the consecutive wins record too.

Yeah, that happened so fast that watching it live I was sure it hit Fred’s hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back