Equal Prizemoney...

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It is long overdue that men and women play the same number of sets. Like or hate my suggestion above but at least I have tried to address the imbalance.

The same needs to happen in various Olympic events such as the heptathlon and 800m freestyle.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
If there is a concerted effort for equal number of sets you know what will happen, men's matches will be reduced to best of three. Organisers hate best of five because the matches take up too much time. Any excuse and they will be reduced to best of three.

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Best of 5 for the final would be the absolute most id like to see women play Bo5 - and then i dont like there being a different set of rules to the final as every other match. The product would be terrible in a 5th set, women dont have the same athletic endurance as men.

Its the worst argument for split pay anyway as it has nothing to do with it

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
perhaps in the 90's, the girls could have moved to Bo5 sets. They did play Bo5 at the end of year champs finals after all.

But nowadays, as Bumps said, it is never going to happen and it is far more likely the men drop to bo3 with "equality" is needed. In this age, we like our sport short and Bo5 ruins schedules.

I'm not a huge fan of Bo5, but I hope it stays. Most sports have shorter lengths for women instead of men.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The product would be terrible in a 5th set, women dont have the same athletic endurance as men.
lol, that must be why the women’s marathon is only 25km long, hang on, no, it’s not.

Do you know that women dominate men in open water marathon swimming?

The final of the end of year WTA Finals used to be best of 5 (1984-98). I remember a phenomenal match between Seles and Sabatini, so rare to ever see women have to dig deep and show some heart. Seles won 6–4, 5–7, 3–6, 6–4, 6–2.

If the average female tennis player is not fit enough to occasionally play best of 5, bad luck, it’s about time more of them became athletes. Women get mollycoddled in tennis, it’s long overdue they earned their keep.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
There really is no push from the female players to move to five sets so I can't see it happening. Those that are hanging their hats on this to lead to equal pay will be disappointed (IMO). Need to argue for it on other grounds.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

If the average female tennis player is not fit enough to occasionally play best of 5, bad luck, it’s about time more of them became athletes. Women get mollycoddled in tennis, it’s long overdue they earned their keep.
I much prefer watching artists rather than athletes when I am watching a tennis match. Give me an Aga or a Kerber any day over Serena or other power hitters.

It would change what athletes would be on top in the women's game, and I don't think it would be in a good way.

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
lol, that must be why the women’s marathon is only 25km long, hang on, no, it’s not.

Do you know that women dominate men in open water marathon swimming?

The final of the end of year WTA Finals used to be best of 5 (1984-98). I remember a phenomenal match between Seles and Sabatini, so rare to ever see women have to dig deep and show some heart. Seles won 6–4, 5–7, 3–6, 6–4, 6–2.

Now if only the sport we were discussing was swimming or marathons you might have a valid point.

They earn their keep by bringing in viewers. Its about entertainment, not trying to make the women do as much work as men for some bullshit agenda

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just found an inequality in the Grand Slam Rulebook: Toilet/Change of Attire Break

In singles events a player is entitled to two (2) breaks during a match.

Honestly, what idiot writes these rules?

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah ok champ. How about advertising, ticket sales, tv ratings, cost of men's final v women's final, etc etc.

The ability to attract revenue is the only issue. Nothing else matters. Tennis players are not paid. They are part of a revenue drawing business. Men's game attracts more money. Simple as that.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The ability to attract revenue is the only issue. Nothing else matters. Tennis players are not paid. They are part of a revenue drawing business. Men's game attracts more money. Simple as that.
I know, but some might argue that revenue is difficult to apportion. Most sessions involve men's singles and women's singles, so how would you prove that x% of ticket sales or advertising is due to the men and how many for the women?

I would be happy enough if ANY effort is made to equal time on court between the sexes and to disregard the myriad of other gender imbalances that exist in grand slam tennis. Until recent years, men always played last in night sessions, when that changed there were some not happy about it. I think Venus had to play late at the Oz and complained.

The Men's Final has always been played on the Sunday. A ticket to the Men's Final is usually the most expensive ticket at a slam. If people support equality, then nothing should be set in stone, such as men always playing last in Night sessions. Male tennis players are criticised for being sexist if they dare suggest the women have it easy, so it needs women players to speak up. If you are a fit woman, playing longer would be to the disadvantage of your opponents whose fitness is questionable.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I know, but some might argue that revenue is difficult to apportion. Most sessions involve men's singles and women's singles, so how would you prove that x% of ticket sales or advertising is due to the men and how many for the women?

I would be happy enough if ANY effort is made to equal time on court between the sexes and to disregard the myriad of other gender imbalances that exist in grand slam tennis. Until recent years, men always played last in night sessions, when that changed there were some not happy about it. I think Venus had to play late at the Oz and complained.

The Men's Final has always been played on the Sunday. A ticket to the Men's Final is usually the most expensive ticket at a slam. If people support equality, then nothing should be set in stone, such as men always playing last in Night sessions. Male tennis players are criticised for being sexist if they dare suggest the women have it easy, so it needs women players to speak up. If you are a fit woman, playing longer would be to the disadvantage of your opponents whose fitness is questionable.

Television and media would never allow it. Sporting events build up to a crescendo. EG the Afl grand final. At slams that is the men's final. They will bow the knee to
Equality but only until it impacts bottom line.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Equal prizemoney, but ...

2018 Australian Open:

Starting price for a women's final ticket: $203
Starting price for a men's final ticket: $415

2019 Australian Open:

Starting price for a women's final ticket: $148
Starting price for a men's final ticket: $305

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did they drop prices?
OzOpen 2019.jpg

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Which generates more revenue out of the ATP and WTA tours?

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
not sure if this link will work: https://outline.com/PyHfaE (ie. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/8ccacaa4d4ca1259df1692cc4f91109d)

"Australia’s major sporting codes have backed a report into gender pay equality which includes a radical overhaul for athletes’ income that could see them remunerated per each hour and “unit” of their work — such as training, media appearances and community engagement — in an effort to close the gap in sport. The report has been endorsed by legendary tennis player Billie Jean King who said the rest of the world needed to follow Australia’s lead."

Perhaps finally male and female tennis players will start being paid for amount of time they spend on court!

Of course I'm being facetious. But I really wish the men would start complaining about the length of the season and demanding that they only play best-of-3 in the first week of the slams. If 3-4 of the top 10 started this discussion the slams would probably have to comply.

Back