News Equalisation to rip us off.

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-funding-battle-with-afl-20160915-grhf6q.html

So we are to get 8.6 million of the TV rights deal per year & the likes of GWS get over $20 million?
I had high hopes when Gil took over, but it seems to me the heartland of football is being totally ignored & overlooked in favour of new franchises.

So now we have no fair draft. Some teams still have a bigger list than others & are still benefiting from COLA. Just about had my fill of Gil & the AFL.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-funding-battle-with-afl-20160915-grhf6q.html

So we are to get 8.6 million of the TV rights deal per year & the likes of GWS get over $20 million?
I had high hopes when Gil took over, but it seems to me the heartland of football is being totally ignored & overlooked in favour of new franchises.

So now we have no fair draft. Some teams still have a bigger list than others & are still benefiting from COLA. Just about had my fill of Gil & the AFL.

The AFL believe we will still fork out our money regardless, so we are irrelevant.

Show the AFL trying to make the AFL Equal is just a Joke and they are really not trying that Hard.

They are are just making sure the Northern States get just about everything.

Shows what a Joke the AFL is

This is why Eddie think what he has tried to do with Collingwood is Pointless Now

The AFL believe we will still fork out our money regardless, so we are irrelevant.

But they are wrong. When people start going to soccer of rugby league then they might start to listen.

But they are wrong. When people start going to soccer of rugby league then they might start to listen.

Don't think they be smart enough to Figure that Out.

AFL is Killing Footy in it's Strong/Safe States

Imagine being a bulldogs fan, the giants were allowed to poach Callan Ward for free under a diff set of rules to everyone else and may have to face him in a star studded team in a prelim final. The AFL has gone too far its Brisbane all over again, after all their flags they win now theyre gonna end up a mess like Brisbane once the AFL stop giving them these handouts. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw growth in Sydney out weighed by drop off in interest around the country over the next 5 years.

Imagine being a bulldogs fan, the giants were allowed to poach Callan Ward for free under a diff set of rules to everyone else and may have to face him in a star studded team in a prelim final. The AFL has gone too far its Brisbane all over again, after all their flags they win now theyre gonna end up a mess like Brisbane once the AFL stop giving them these handouts. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw growth in Sydney out weighed by drop off in interest around the country over the next 5 years.

GWS are going the same way as the Super Lions Sides where. They could potential win the next 4-5 Flag but GWS be worse with there Acadamey

I can understand the tv revenue being divvied up a little disproportionally to account for that lack of blockbusters/prime time games and a possible reduction in sponsorship dollars due to reduced exposure, but 12 million is ridiculous. The silly thing is the same clubs who get significantly more than an even share of tv revenue are the one's who will whinge that they don't blockbuster games or prime tv slots. We'd be way better off getting graveyard times and a 1/18th split of a reduced tv rights package that would surely occur if prime was the sole domain of lower rating clubs.

GWS have done everything asked of them. They're an exciting team and it's a credit to the AFL and more importantly those at GWS for them to bring a bit of life back into the game.

I love the Giants and kudos to them if they go all the way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The financial positions of GWS, GC and Brisbane are obvious, however St Kilda is amongst the bottom 4 in terms of handouts. Etihad doesn't help, but despite not winning flags they've had some good seasons over the last 20 years and should have established a fan base and administration capable of being less reliant on assistance.

GWS have done everything asked of them. They're an exciting team and it's a credit to the AFL and more importantly those at GWS for them to bring a bit of life back into the game.

I love the Giants and kudos to them if they go all the way

but why then s**t on the Clubs that Made this the Biggest Comp in AFL?

It is time to scrap equalisation it is a joke. Look at the NRL they have fair less in the way of equalisation methods and have not had back to back premiers since the 92-93 Broncos since that time we have had the 97-98 Crows the 01-02-03 Lions and the 13-14-15 Hawks.

Since 1990 the NRL has had 12 out of the current 16 clubs win a premiership and 14 out of the 16 playing in a grand final. With Cronula and Gold Coast the only clubs not to make one (If Cronula win their prelim it will become 15 out 16.) Also you have to take into account that Parramatta one of the four not to win a flag in that time period lost to the Melbourne Storm in 09 (by 7 points) who were way over the salary cap. So all things being above board they probably should have won the premiership that year making 13 out of 16.

In that same time frame the AFL has had 11 out of 18 clubs win a premiership with 14 of the 18 clubs making a grand final. With Richmond, the Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and GWS not making a grand final. Of course we know GWS and the Dogs are still live in the finals but are on the same side of the draw.

While the difference my not be extreme my point is that the NRL is a competition the operates without a draft less restrictive player movements and not all the equalisation tax see have in the AFL yet it is still a more equal competition. The AFL is too quick to change the rules they should let the game sort its self out

Last edited:
This is the trade off for our blockbuster matches, guaranteed 17 matches in Victoria and access to FNF above our ladder position. It seems an overcorrection to me, but in reality it's simply a case of swings and roundabouts.

For mine this information is effectively the death knell for the FD tax which has been a bigger bust than the carbon tax...

Here's an idea why not divide the dividend 18 ways?
Sorry, to logical.

(I'll see my self out now ;))

Pub Competition nothing more nothing less..........just making rules on the run.

Hopefully this ends that bullshit FD Tax.........our Clubs $ going to pay for Paul Roos to coach Melbourne still doesn't sit well with me.

Hope he does, someone has to take out Hawthorn

Pub Competition nothing more nothing less..........just making rules on the run.

Hopefully this ends that bullshit FD Tax.........our Clubs $ going to pay for Paul Roos to coach Melbourne still doesn't sit well with me.

Apparently not - the football dept tax will remain in place and stay at the same rate, which is in effect an increase due to it not being indexed with inflation/CPI to negate the annual wages increase. Good job AFL, bleed your cash cows dry to prop up the competition's basket cases :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back