Senior Eric Hipwood (2015-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee he spoke well......but as to his renovations to his house, we don't think about the difficulties of being so very tall, 6'7". Making adjustments to door heights, bench heights because his back hurts, always checks ceiling heights wherever he lived etc

I was very impressed with his interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee he spoke well......but as to his renovations to his house, we don't think about the difficulties of being so very tall, 6'7". Making adjustments to door heights, bench heights because his back hurts, always checks ceiling heights wherever he lived etc

I was very impressed with his interview.

He's got several inches on me and washing up is my most hated chore because every sink is about an inch or two too short for me to do it without hunching over (not to mention putting my hand into a few ceiling fans accidentally). It'd be awesome to design a kitchen around that.

Scans Confirm ACL Rupture for Eric Hipwood

Scans have confirmed Brisbane Lions key forward Eric Hipwood ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament during Saturday’s match against St Kilda at Metricon Stadium.

The 23-year-old went down at the end of the first quarter after landing awkwardly and twisting his left knee and was immediately assisted from the field.

McCluggage: Hipwood Doesn't Get Enough Credit

The loss of Key Forward Eric Hipwood due to his season-ending knee injury has been immediately felt by the Lions.

Hipwood ruptured his ACL in the first quarter of Brisbane's round 17 clash against St Kilda at Metricon Stadium.

Without the 204cm forward the Lions slumped to a shock 32-point defeat to the Saints.

Things didn't get much better in the first full match without Hipwood as Richmond claimed a 20-point win on the Gold Coast last Friday.

Midfielder Hugh McCluggage said only in Hipwood's absence were a lot of people realising his true value to the Lions' set-up.

"He was definitely hugely important for us," said McCluggage, who'll make his 100th AFL appearance against the Suns.

"He just crashes packs and I don't think Hippy probably got the credit for how tough and durable he's been for his first five years.

"He's played that key forward role one-out at times as a young fella and he's really come on in leaps and bounds.

"This year he was playing some great footy so it was disappointing for him individually and for the team."

Rayner Eyes Return to Full Training

Eric Hipwood is still working on building strength before progressing further with his ACL rehab.

“Eric’s a bit delayed in comparison to Cam,” Austin said.

“He’ll be looking to get back into running before Christmas but his rehab will be a little slower as we focus on his leg strength for the moment.”

2021 Season Review: Hipwood & Cockatoo

It was a tail of two stories for Eric Hipwood and Nakia Cockatoo, as one returned after 1211 days away from footy, while the other was ruled out for the year with an ACL injury.

For Hipwood, the arrival of Joe Daniher seemed to be a godsend as the Lions forward six quickly developed cohesion as they became the most lethal forward line in the competition.

No longer the main target inside 50, Hipwood seemed to relish the added freedom as he roamed up the ground, showing off his impressive athleticism and field kicking.

Clunking 79 marks in 17 games, Lions fans were reminded of the 203cm forward’s impressive aerial ability as he continually launched courageously into contests, including a hanger against North in the sleeting cold of Tasmania.

Having found more of the ball and improving on his goal accuracy in 2021, Hipwood’s ACL injury in Round 17 couldn’t have come at a crueller time.

The 23-year-old will miss the majority of the 2022 season but will look to return to light running duties in January.

Hippy Bags Four

It was a Friday night test for the ages as the Lions came up against the reigning Premiers in a heated battle at the Gabba in Round 10.

With Jack Riewoldt kicking three first-quarter goals, the Tigers led by 19 points and the Lions needed to find some scoreboard reward for their control in the midfield.

Enter Eric Hipwood, who clunked 7 marks and booted 4 goals in a dynamic performance while collecting a handy 13 disposals in the process.

Wounded Lion on Track for Stunning Return

Eric Hipwood is ahead of schedule in his recovery from knee surgery and could be back in Brisbane's team by the middle of next season, says Lions football manager Danny Daly.

Hipwood ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in round 17 against St Kilda and was expected to miss 12 months.

However, the 24-year-old tall forward has made good progress and is on track to return sooner.

"Eric's tracking really nicely, probably a couple of weeks ahead of where he's meant to be," Daly said.

"We're not putting any round figure on when he should be back, but ultimately it could be round 10 or 12 all things being equal and everything going well.

"Hopefully we get him back at some stage mid-season."

Daly said the club told Hipwood to take a week off to mentally recharge following his early stint in rehabilitation.

Key Lions Flying in Race to Return

Brisbane's former No.1 draft pick is optimistic he and Eric Hipwood, who could be back ahead of schedule as early as round five, can offer what's needed next year as the Lions stay on the scent of a premiership.

Rayner was set to be used as a game-changer in the midfield while Hipwood's absence discombobulated a forward line that had been developing nicely after the arrival of Joe Daniher.

Hipwood was running laps at the Lions' first session back on Monday, with Rayner in the thick of it and benefiting from an extended cardio program that has elevated one of the perceived weaknesses of his game.

"Me and Eric are super close; I was heartbroken when I saw him go down ... but he's running really well, would be a good boost to get him back early," Rayner said.

"I know Eric's got the same fire in his belly; it builds character and makes you want to get back and play some good footy and you're not taking for granted the chance to get out and run and train with the boys.

All Eyes on May Day

BRISBANE coach Chris Fagan has quashed any speculation Eric Hipwood will return from injury for round one of the AFL season but admits the forward is eyeing a sooner-than-expected comeback.

Hipwood ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in round 17 against St Kilda last July and was expected to miss 12 months.

The 24-year-old is, however, running strongly at Lions pre-season training just six months after surgery, although he remains away from contact drills or anything too physical at this stage.

Hipwood's physical appearance has some speculating he could be a surprise candidate to feature in the Lions' season-opener against Port Adelaide on March 19.

Fagan though was quick to rule out that scenario.

"He'd like to do more probably if you'd let him," Fagan said after training on Monday.

"He thinks he's going to be back for the start of the season.

"He won't be but he might not be too far in.

"May, end of May, is probably a reasonable time frame for him to get back if he doesn't have any hiccups.

"It's been pretty straightforward to this stage with no setbacks."

What You Missed at Men's Training This Week

Eric Hipwood has lifted his running load, completing laps at a fast pace as he eyes of a return mid-year. Almost unrecognisable, the 24-year old shed the weight of a different kind over the weekend, swapping the long hair for the buzz cut in a completely new look.

Qscan Injury Update: Lohmann Sidelined

While tall forward Eric Hipwood is on track to be available for selection in Round 9.

Neale: "Eric's Feeling Ready to Go"

IN THE same week Brisbane lost Joe Daniher to injury, fellow tall forward Eric Hipwood has been setting the training track alight as he pushes to return from a ruptured ACL.

Hipwood suffered the injury against St Kilda last July and has been ahead of schedule since early in his rehabilitation.

Now, with the big forward's return imminent, Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale says his teammate has been turning heads at Brisbane training.

"I've seen him come back and be the same Eric Hipwood he was 12 months ago on the training track," Neale said on Thursday.

"There was a match sim we did, about 10 minutes' worth, probably two weeks ago and he was playing in the reserves side against the AFL side, and he dominated.

"He's looking good, he's looking sharp.

"I'm not sure if he comes straight in or has to play a little bit of VFL first, but it's exciting for the club and Eric.

"I can't wait to have him back."

Coach Chris Fagan recently said Hipwood would return in round nine, but Neale said the 23-year-old had cheekily pushed his name forward this week after news Daniher would miss at least a month with a shoulder injury.

"He feels like he's ready to go," Neale said.

"I don't think he'll play this week, but you never know."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back