Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Not denigrating Patfull or commenting on whether Pick 21 was appropriate. Using it as a comparative point for those suggesting Mackenzie is worth around the 40 mark.

Fair point re: AA short list. Actually believe similar logic applies to the rather simplistic argument around Mackenzie's worth based on him 'not even being in the Eagles best 22' as one poster keeps making. He's not ahead of three other key defenders at present in a side that plays three key type defenders, all pretty handy ones.

Patful was a duel B&F is memory
Good thread. Mackenzie was a star, did his knee, came back this year and struggled.

We keep him in the hope he'll return to his best - we're unrealistic.

We expect compensation based on him returning to his best - we're unreasonable.

We keep him as depth - we're denying him opportunity and wasting cap space.

I guess that just leaves trading him out for a late pick. Makes perfect sense to make a rival stronger for no benefit.

If you a purely speaking what is his Value? Then your right it would have to be a late 30s early 40s pick. It's not saying you will or have to trade him but. Ideally you keep him and as you said he comes good and returns to his best form. However, you need to also recognise the risk that he may not play much again next season which means he is probably done at AFL level. He would then be 30 with little football in three years.

My question would be is he only contracted at 600k for this season? Or next season also? There is some big fish out there maybe wanting to head back home, hello Hogan and Lobb...

Mackenzie is contracted until the end of 2017. If we offload him cheaply to bring in Lobb or Hogan or whoever then it's good business. If we offload him cheaply for the sake of it it isn't.

There isn't really a 'true value' in the AFL for any player. If he was uncontracted and went into the draft where he'd be picked depends on his contract value and the relative lists of the teams in the draft. Brisbane could afford plenty of money and would probably use that to 'buy' him with a later pick. Hawthorn might be a good fit but they'd be hesitant about paying him too much while trying to bring in longer term prospects so would probably want to draft him earlier. Etc. A team like Geelong for example with Taylor, Lonergan, Henderson probably wouldn't have any interest at all. Just like Frawley went to Hawthorn on a big money deal as a FA because he fit an area of need. With Mackenzie (still fit at that point), McGovern (pre break out 2015), Brown (still fit) and Barrass (yet to debut) we wouldn't have paid big money to bring in someone like Frawley, but had Dangerfield been open to offers we'd be collectively emptying our piggybanks into a big sack.

Patful was a duel B&F is memory

If you a purely speaking what is his Value? Then your right it would have to be a late 30s early 40s pick. It's not saying you will or have to trade him but. Ideally you keep him and as you said he comes good and returns to his best form. However, you need to also recognise the risk that he may not play much again next season which means he is probably done at AFL level. He would then be 30 with little football in three years.

My question would be is he only contracted at 600k for this season? Or next season also? There is some big fish out there maybe wanting to head back home, hello Hogan and Lobb...

Believe he's contracted to end of 2017 only. Which again represents risk. Keep him and hope he gets back to 2014 form or worst case he's out of contract, a free agent and the AFL decide why he's worth. In some respects I'd rather trade than enter that lottery. Especially if it's because he has had a bad year.

Hogan, I wouldn't say no but I suspect the trade and contract cost to get him could be a list killer.

Mackenzie saying he would prefer to stay in WA , Fremantle not interested because doesn't fit their age demographic .
Unless its a good deal sounds like he may stay and has a rather large one year contract also .

Hooker moves forward and helps Daniher.

Yeah I think Hooker will move forward regardless of if they get another KPD. He moved forward to good effect in the back end of season 2015. Daniher clearly needs support up there. Hurley and either another KPD or Hartley will handle down back, to start anyhow.

Talk is Mackenzie meet with Essendon and North Melbourne yesterday. Both sides would have the salary, but if they are picking up 600k it would have to be a very late pick. Travis cloke is one year older and will be going for a third-rounder pick (and may even take a pay cut)...

travis has been crap for a few years without a significant injury. mackenzie has come back from an ACL injury and has struggled to adapt to a fully zone defence. Big guys take a year to find their feet. Mackenzie should be fine with a preseason to put on the muscle he lost. 1v1 he is still a gun in that respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd certainly be handy at Hawthorn though with his desire to stay in Perth meaning thered need to be incentive to leave thatll likely rule the Hawks out. Not really in the business of overpaying players at the Hawks.
On the general market Id say between 25 and 35.
I always loved the way he went about it and hope wherever he plays next year its in the AFL.

What price would that be?

I suggest a 3rd rounder given his age and injury history.
His knee has been basically his only major injury since 2011. Very durable otherwise. Considering other trades and free agency picks, the 20-30 range would be right. He is known quality, another year back from the knee, his 2017 is almost certainly going to be a massive improvement.

Doubt it. Brown was on good money.

I think we may re-rookie one other player. Club is going to have a lot of space open in 2017 with McKenzie contract ending and Mitchell possibly retiring.
Huh dont you mean 2018? You will have to pay mckenzie next year in 2017.

Mitchell wont be cheap either...

Brown wasnt on big money. Pretty much meh money. Mitchell is on more

Huh dont you mean 2018? You will have to pay mckenzie next year in 2017.

Mitchell wont be cheap either...

Brown wasnt on big money. Pretty much meh money. Mitchell is on more
By 2017, I mean at the end of the year. Brown was on good money, signed a big contract to keep him in WA. I guess the club had no way of predicting how quickly other players would become stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back