Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

One that is close to a flag of needs someone to take pressure off the kids developing.

So GWS or Lions.

A pick in the 30's wouldn't be great but it's almost out of our hands.

I like McGovern up forward and then Darling plays the 3rd medium /tall to take over Le cras spot, so retaining MacKenzie helps that.
Thanks for the vote of confidence:cool:

GWS will have their hands full with Kelly, Smith etc. so I doubt they'll have $3-400k to throw around at Mackenzie. They're also top of the ladder with half their team out so are going OK. He'd be an upgrade on Mohr or someone like that but they'll be pushed for cap space.

Brisbane I would have agreed with a year or two ago but their defence is starting to settle. McStay and Andrews are young but are now 50 gamers and getting better each week. They've already had the baptism of fire you'd like to avoid. Over the next year or two as they become 100 gamers they should also have the 'luxury' of not playing in a team that regularly concedes 20 goals a game. Brisbane let in 120+ 15 times last year. They've also got Walker and Frost who are 25 and bit part players if they need big, experienced bodies. Mackenzie wouldn't be the worst pick up in the world, but he's not a pressing need.

GWS will have their hands full with Kelly, Smith etc. so I doubt they'll have $3-400k to throw around at Mackenzie. They're also top of the ladder with half their team out so are going OK. He'd be an upgrade on Mohr or someone like that but they'll be pushed for cap space.

Brisbane I would have agreed with a year or two ago but their defence is starting to settle. McStay and Andrews are young but are now 50 gamers and getting better each week. They've already had the baptism of fire you'd like to avoid. Over the next year or two as they become 100 gamers they should also have the 'luxury' of not playing in a team that regularly concedes 20 goals a game. Brisbane let in 120+ 15 times last year. They've also got Walker and Frost who are 25 and bit part players if they need big, experienced bodies. Mackenzie wouldn't be the worst pick up in the world, but he's not a pressing need.

After Davis GWS KP defensive stocks get thin and lack experience. It's the only area they are thin on and if you want to win a flag defense is important.

$3>400k is not a lot these days, S Johnson will likely retire and others will be turned over looking for opportunity, Kelly may go for the money. Will GWS 'sell the farm' to retain Kelly and put extreme pressure on list balance? I don't think they will, they more than any team can handle losing a Kelly quality player.

Do you have any suggestions on what other side would be interested in MacKenzie?

Possibly Crows and Essendon due to Worsfold and Pike. If Crows lose Lever they may be interested.

I'm not sure.

GWS have Corr and Tomlinson plus Haynes who is more of a tall half back, as well as Mohr who is genuinely a depth player. They'll probably turn Himmelberg or Finlayson or someone into a defender with already having 3 good tall forwards.

I proposed Mackenzie to GWS last year and their fans didn't jump at it. I think he'd be a useful pick up, but if the sticking point would be money. If he just wanted an average AFL contract then why would we let him go? After McGovern and Barrass our key defensive stocks are thin, and we don't get multiple first round picks each year. I still reckon Mackenzie leaving as a FA would be like Vickery, we'd only let him go if we got band 2 compo.

Would be surprised if the Eagles let him go, had a good second half of the year.

We'd be stupid to let him go.

As you said he's started to regain his touch in the second half of the year and he's miles ahead of Schofield. More importantly him being the lock down role allows McGovern and Barrass to play a little looser where they can play as intercepters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be stupid to let him go.

As you said he's started to regain his touch in the second half of the year and he's miles ahead of Schofield. More importantly him being the lock down role allows McGovern and Barrass to play a little looser where they can play as intercepters.

I know the call is to turnover the list but agree that it would be senseless to let him go now when one of your primary strengths is the intercept marking of MCGovern and Barrass. As we all know it takes time for a KPD to develop. Besides, McKenzie has little or no trade value at this stage of this career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back