Universal Love Erin Phillips Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same, but keep in mind he was wearing a Hawthorn jumper at the Adelaide vs Hawthorn game in R1
Which is perfectly fine because his son in law plays for Hawthorn and he is supporting him.

Greg is not a Crows fan, but he supports the Crows AFLW team because his daughter plays in the team and good on him for doing so.

Which is perfectly fine because his son in law plays for Hawthorn and he is supporting him.

Greg is not a Crows fan, but he supports the Crows AFLW team because his daughter plays in the team and good on him for doing so.
Yep, he mentioned he goes to games to support family now, not specifically the clubs

I cried when she came off. Fantastic player and seems to be a fantastic person. All the best whatever happens.
My eyes suddenly got affected by a gust of wind

Great player, great tribute. I really hope she makes it back

Was interesting to read in the article about the Phillips family on the weekend about how Greg now looks back now in retrospect as Erin plays for the club and wishes that he'd given it a bit more of a go when he was doing pre-season with the Crows.

Erin has been the heart and soul of this Crows AFLW team from the beginning. I was devastated to see her go out like that. At least she has a second premiership medal to ease the pain.

How many career AFL games has she played? 20?
She is going to be remembered forever, and amazingly people in ~30 years time will look up her stats and see she played such a small amount of games!

How many career AFL games has she played? 20?
She is going to be remembered forever, and amazingly people in ~30 years time will look up her stats and see she played such a small amount of games!
The John Coleman of AFLW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the complexity of the South Australian football landscape. Port got the Cornes boys despite their father’s history, Adelaide got Erin Phillips despite her father’s football history.
All at early times of a clubs/teams stages, all defining.
TBH, in time and with the paradigm shift that I think that is happening with women’s sport I think Adelaide will look back on the importance of this and think she has been the most beneficial.

Tell you what, that whole period when she was down with the knee, and the ride off the ground and the players all wishing her well, that photo with Randall is some amazing stuff. Don't think I've quite seen anything like that, probably never will again. It was almost like a lap of honor, 50k people paying their respects. The "Erin" chant went up, we were all very emotional about it, and I still am.

I know it's a s**t thing to happen, but she's built a great story for the competition, and that's what footy is about, it's why we watch.

For all the love she has received over the last week or so, I still think she is massively underrated.

Look at it like this;

Erin grew up playing football. She played in the underages against boys and dominated. She kept playing until there was no competition that would let her play.
With nowhere to demonstrate her abilities, she turned to playing basketball (very late in age to do so compared to most). She went on to play basketball at the highest level, including; NBL, WNBA (2 time champion) and for Australia - including Olympics (Silver medallist) & World championships (Gold I think).

She does an ACL playing basketball, but returns.

She then retires and returns to Australia to play in the AFLW competition. She immediately re-defines what everyone thought the girls would be capable of on the footy field. She has single handedly lifted the level of play and ability in the whole competition. She has literally set the bar for all others that follow to reach.

2 premierships, 2 BOG in GF, 2 Competition B&F awards....
In the meantime, she is a WNBA assistant coach in the off-season.

I honestly think she should have a stand named after her. She should be considered in the very top tier of athletes of any age, of any gender to have ever come out of Australia.

What she has achieved is nothing short of amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back