Universal Love Erin Phillips Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly in a league of her own this year. 19 out of 21 votes is just crazy. We don't know where she would have placed in the PF, but I'm guessing it would have been second-BOG (behind Marinoff).

So, in 9 games this year that would have been 6 BOGs and 3 second-BOGs, including BOG in the GF, despite only playing 2 1/2 quarters. I doubt there is an AFL footballer that has ever managed so many games in a row where they were in the best 2 players on the ground.

Heck, 19 votes would have got you a tie for 6th in the Brownlow last year, and Erin managed that in less than 1/3 of an AFL season!

Tell you what, that whole period when she was down with the knee, and the ride off the ground and the players all wishing her well, that photo with Randall is some amazing stuff. Don't think I've quite seen anything like that, probably never will again. It was almost like a lap of honor, 50k people paying their respects. The "Erin" chant went up, we were all very emotional about it, and I still am.

I know it's a s**t thing to happen, but she's built a great story for the competition, and that's what footy is about, it's why we watch.
Someone said yesterday... AFLW is so much more than Club ties... it’s everyone appreciating good passages of play - no matter which team does it. It’s pure joy watching this whole story unfold. Probably down the track, it’ll become the bun fight the men’s comp has become (in terms of fierce rivalry) but for now there is massive mutual respect. Between the players and between the supporters.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the AFL should re-name the W award to the Erin Phillips Medal. What she has done single handed for the game of AFLW would be beyond the AFL's wildest dreams. You know how people talk about era's and how the game changes over time and how once star players wouldn't cut it or make it in the future, Erin is not one of those players. In 100 years you could easily argue that Erin wouldn't just be a good player now but shed be the exact same dominant force. I also think her name needs to be emblazoned at Adelaide Oval. Yes there are arguments that she hasn't been on the scene long enough, hasn't achieved the same feats as the other huge names around Adelaide Oval. However, Adelaide Oval should be more than just Football and Cricket, It also has a duty to represent both men and women and Erin Phillips will go down as a legend of AFLW and the AFC. There will be a time that AFLW play either as a curtain raiser to the mens team or after the mens team regularly at AO purely because they will need to play during the winter months once all the AFL teams have an AFLW team. Her name needs to be there.

Really nice podcast today with Erin. She talks about her future in there and that knows the right thing is to not make the decision right now as it is too emotional but she will rehab trying to get to a point where she can play football again and then it will be a decision that is best for her and her family.

https://womens.afl/news/credit-to-the-girls-podcast

She is an out and out champion sportsperson and person in general. She deserves a statue at the Oval. It's an honour having seen her play for the club. Sunday was unbelievable and heartbreaking

As a devout Port man I'd love to have a say on Erin and the Phillips family. We've followed Erin for years. Starting from when she played basketball for North Adelaide and my daughter was a junior playing for Norwood. Erin was her idol. And since then we've kept a close eye on her career.

I've spoken to Greg a couple of times in the Port Club front bar. Mainly about kids sport and family. To say he's a humble but proud man is an understatement. So much so that he gave us Erin's phone number so my daughter could talk to her. Greg also bursts with pride talking about his other daughters. Its very understandable where Erin's morals and ethics come from.

Erin is now in a short space of time a champion of the AFC. You're very lucky to have her. Yes I'm a wee bit jelous but the pride I have for her smashes that little bit of jealousy.

I wholeheartedly think the women's medal should be named after her. For her football, for everything she's achieved in her sporting life, but more importantly the way she has inspired women of all ages. She's a pure gem. Look after her :)

As a devout Port man I'd love to have a say on Erin and the Phillips family. We've followed Erin for years. Starting from when she played basketball for North Adelaide and my daughter was a junior playing for Norwood. Erin was her idol. And since then we've kept a close eye on her career.

I've spoken to Greg a couple of times in the Port Club front bar. Mainly about kids sport and family. To say he's a humble but proud man is an understatement. So much so that he gave us Erin's phone number so my daughter could talk to her. Greg also bursts with pride talking about his other daughters. Its very understandable where Erin's morals and ethics come from.

Erin is now in a short space of time a champion of the AFC. You're very lucky to have her. Yes I'm a wee bit jelous but the pride I have for her smashes that little bit of jealousy.

I wholeheartedly think the women's medal should be named after her. For her football, for everything she's achieved in her sporting life, but more importantly the way she has inspired women of all ages. She's a pure gem. Look after her :)
I think it’s fair to say we all love her as much as you guys do. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you'd have the best team in the world. No matter what code it is. Erin will be, if not already a leader in womens sport world wide. She has just started.

I remember watching one of the Footy shows,just before the start of the AFLW's first season and the presenter,Hamish McLachlan I think, introduced Daisy Pearce as Australia's best female player.
I just cringed and thought,wait until you see Erin Phillips play,you'll never say that again...
She's an amazing lady,wonderful ambassador for the game,and without doubt,the W medal should be named after her.

Port should be kicking themselves they gifted the greatest AFLW player to Adelaide without much of a fight

Our partnership with the NT had them completely dead in the water. Any fight would have been completely futile and wasteful of resources.

On Erin, like I expect many here were, I had tears rolling down the cheeks as she hobbled up to get the medal and the couple of times that I’ve seen the stretcher footage. Not only a brilliant footballer but there’s no doubt that her professionalism and leadership were driving forces of our team from the beginning. Because she’s so good and wins everything, it’s a bit too easy to forget how brilliant Chelsea Randall is for us as well. And that’s no mean feat because Chelsea is an absolutely super footballer.

He said it is too soon to name anything after Erin.

I’m with him on naming a stand at AO, but not the medal. Erin epitomises what the medal is all about. Another player might win more as we go forward, but there will never be anyone who will have meant as much to the game by winning those medals. It’s a complete no brainer, so it’s easy to see why it won’t happen.

I’m with him on naming a stand at AO, but not the medal. Erin epitomises what the medal is all about. Another player might win more as we go forward, but there will never be anyone who will have meant as much to the game by winning those medals. It’s a complete no brainer, so it’s easy to see why it won’t happen.
I think its a tad bit of jealousy on his part. Everything she has done for the women's game has been beyond the point of exceptional.

I remember watching one of the Footy shows,just before the start of the AFLW's first season and the presenter,Hamish McLachlan I think, introduced Daisy Pearce as Australia's best female player.
I just cringed and thought,wait until you see Erin Phillips play,you'll never say that again...
She's an amazing lady,wonderful ambassador for the game,and without doubt,the W medal should be named after her.
Daisy Pearce is a great player, But I wouldn't trade 5 Daisy Pearces for 1 Erin Phillips!

Been trying to figure out the best alternate sports equivalent to Erin Phillips to describe how good she is an AFLW player. Michael Jordan originally came too mind, but he played for so long that I don't think it comparison holds.

Don Bradman might be better comparison, shorter career by modern standards, with a test average 38 runs higher then anyone in history (to put that into perspective, that's 4 runs higher then Shaun Marsh's career Test average, so if you got the 2nd best batsman of all time + Shaun Marsh, you would still come up 4 runs short of Don Bradman).

Yep, i'm happy with that.

Erin Phillips is the Don Bradman of AFLW...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back