Universal Love Erin Phillips Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember watching one of the Footy shows,just before the start of the AFLW's first season and the presenter,Hamish McLachlan I think, introduced Daisy Pearce as Australia's best female player.
I just cringed and thought,wait until you see Erin Phillips play,you'll never say that again...
She's an amazing lady,wonderful ambassador for the game,and without doubt,the W medal should be named after her.
Yeah, but football doesn't exist outside of Victoria, so Hamish was right. </sarcasm>

You name something after Erin now (or retirement) and no matter who comes along in the next 10 years, what they achieve or how far the game moves forward...

Her story still holds up as the girl who grew up wanting to play football, couldn't, had to go and play another sport, did that at the highest level, just managed to fit in an AFLW career, got to live her dream and was by far the best in the league.

There is far more to it than she was the best player for a few years because she was already a pro athlete.

Last edited:
Been trying to figure out the best alternate sports equivalent to Erin Phillips to describe how good she is an AFLW player. Michael Jordan originally came too mind, but he played for so long that I don't think it comparison holds.

Don Bradman might be better comparison, shorter career by modern standards, with a test average 38 runs higher then anyone in history. Yep, i'm happy with that.

Erin Phillips is the Don Bradman of AFLW...
Why the need to compare her with someone from a completely unrelated sport that played about 80 years ago? Why can't we just love Bradman as the best ever cricketer and Erin as the best AFLW player?

Why the need to compare her with someone from a completely unrelated sport that played about 80 years ago? Why can't we just love Bradman as the best ever cricketer and Erin as the best AFLW player?
Like I said, just finding a comparison to explain how good she is in the sport, so when i'm at the pub I can slur to anyone who will listen "ERIN PHILLIPS IS THE DON BRADMAN OF AFLW", and they will immediately understand what I mean.

Its a compliment not a controversial statement!

FYI, has anyone ever told you that you are the Tiger Woods of making mountains out of molehills?

;) See what I did there?

Been trying to figure out the best alternate sports equivalent to Erin Phillips to describe how good she is an AFLW player. Michael Jordan originally came too mind, but he played for so long that I don't think it comparison holds.

Don Bradman might be better comparison, shorter career by modern standards, with a test average 38 runs higher then anyone in history (to put that into perspective, that's 4 runs higher then Shaun Marsh's career Test average, so if you got the 2nd best batsman of all time + Shaun Marsh, you would still come up 4 runs short of Don Bradman).

Yep, i'm happy with that.

Erin Phillips is the Don Bradman of AFLW...
Pretty bloody close mate.

He said it is too soon to name anything after Erin.

It is too soon, wait until she has retired at least, maybe even a similar amount of time as you have to wait until you can join the hall of fame, just to make sure she doesn't make a comeback. It's hers though for now and the rest of the comp has until that time to prove someone is more deserving.

You name something after Erin now and no matter who comes along in the next 10 years, what they achieve or how far the game moves forward.

Her story still holds up as the girl who grew up wanting to play football, couldn't, had to go and play another sport, did that at the highest level, just managed to fit in an AFLW career, got to live her dream and was by far the best in the league.

There is far more to it than she was the best player for a few years because she was already a pro athlete.
I like this. Its also in a nutshell the story of the AFLW

In 100 years time when we are dust and people ask how AFLW started the story will already have been told by the countless mentions of Erin Phillips and her story

Charles Brownlow? Some secretary of Geelong? pfft

Like I said, just finding a comparison to explain how good she is in the sport, so when i'm at the pub I can slur to anyone who will listen "ERIN PHILLIPS IS THE DON BRADMAN OF AFLW", and they will immediately understand what I mean.

Its a compliment not a controversial statement!

FYI, has anyone ever told you that you are the Tiger Woods of making mountains out of molehills?

;) See what I did there?

So you're suggesting I'm having sex with dozens of molehills behind my wife's back. Ah, gotcha. :p

She will potentially become the first female Legend in the Hall of Fame, she will be an automatic inductee as a player in the Hall of Fame once eligible (2x Brownlow equivalents, 2 x Norm Smith equivalents, 2 x Premierships - a better record than most recent inductees).

Other than games played (for obvious reasons), her impact as a player will sit very comparably with Malcolm Blight, Roy Cazaly, John Coleman, Jack Dyer, Royce Hart, Bill Hutchison, Alex Jesaulenko, Bob Pratt, etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erin just got global appreciation - she's today's featured article on Wikipedia (link)

Well done Erin!
I saw that
Was wondering if it was tailored personally (I look at a lot of footy stuff on Wikipedia) or ignoring it was a global thing.

Hated the reporting of this “leaving the door open for a return to her spiritual home”. Probably coz I know it’s going to happen in one way, shape or form. Seeing her on boundary riding duties at a couple Port Power games makes me feel ill

Hated the reporting of this “leaving the door open for a return to her spiritual home”. Probably coz I know it’s going to happen in one way, shape or form. Seeing her on boundary riding duties at a couple Port Power games makes me feel ill
I love it! Because I know the Port fans feel ( and will forever feel) twice as sick as anyone of us - Erin will be forever known as a Crows Legend and that makes them spew

It would be pretty tough to begrudge her having a brief return to Port to finish off her career if that's how it happened. She's delivered to us in spades - dual premiership captain and BOG in both grand finals, best player in the comp, and years of entertainment for us Crows fans. She's probably won at least half a dozen games off her own boot, maybe more. I've also been really impressed at how readily and openly her Dad has embraced it all given he bleeds Port colours. If she feels that finishing up at Port would cap off her career, then go for it. She's earned that right.

That being said, if Port just missed out on her by a year or so by having slow-walked their AFLW entry, I wouldn't be shedding any tears for them.

Great news! I think one more year seems to be about right, just before a likely retirement. Her body might be showing some slowing down, but her footy IQ would benefit the other young players in the team.

I think what makes Erin so special is that not only is she a genuine natural footy talent, but she also has elements of her game from other sports (ie. basketball) that she can use to better effect on a footy field. Her peripheral vision, quick hands, strong marking, evasiveness in congestion has been elite from day 1 of the AFLW.

Nathan Basset has been a coach at Port for a long time.

Still see him as one of my favourite Crow players.

Erin being a coach at Port does not take away from her being an AFC legend.

Doubt she will ever play there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nathan Basset has been a coach at Port for a long time.

Still see him as one of my favourite Crow players.

Erin being a coach at Port does not take away from her being an AFC legend.

Doubt she will ever play there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Very good point, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back