AFLW Erin Phillips is home!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's behind the Murdoch paywall, but saw this snippet

Not only will Erin Phillips star for the Power in their first AFLW season, she may also be involved in the men’s program.

Sounds like Erin will be joining the men's coaching team.

RussellEbertHandball
I've had a feeling all along that this would be the case.

It means a decent percentage of her wage sits outside the salary cap and the soft cap too.

At least the crows recognised the all star quality of Erin and allowed her to play to her full potential - and reaped the rewards accordingly

The spiteful treatment of Hodges under Cornes and his shunning by club management, certain players and the majority of supporters was shameful.
You are absolutely on the money re Cornes and `his spiteful treatment of Hodges,' but in my opinion his biggest campaigner act re a Port player was when he dragged Danny Hughes in the first half of a game at Moorabbin.

Hughes was on Tony Lockett who was being given silver service by a rampant saint's midfield, and when he was removed from the field after Lockett had scored something like 5 goals he had to walk about 100 metres around the boundary and past the St Kilda members' stand.
I have no doubt it was deliberately done to humiliate Hughes.

It's behind the Murdoch paywall, but saw this snippet

Not only will Erin Phillips star for the Power in their first AFLW season, she may also be involved in the men’s program.

Sounds like Erin will be joining the men's coaching team.

RussellEbertHandball

Some kind soul has archived it:

AFLW Moneyball: Erin Phillips set to join Power coaching group​

Not only will Erin Phillips star for the Power in their first AFLW season, she may also be taking on another role.

Port Adelaide senior coach Ken Hinkley has flagged adding Erin Phillips to his coaching group after she joined the Power for their inaugural AFLW season.

The AFLW star, who has won three premierships with the Crows, has become arguably the biggest name to cross the Adelaide-Port Adelaide divide after her decision to join the club where her father Greg played 343 games.

Not only will Phillips be the star of the Power’s first ever AFLW season when they enter the league but she could also be involved with the men’s program at Alberton.

“Firstly it’s great to get the Phillips name back playing at Port Adelaide which is fantastic,” Hinkley said.

“We all know the history of the club and Greg, it’s a fantastic name of our footy club and to have Erin in our female program is a great result.

“Yes Erin has expertise, world sporting expertise so you would be mad and foolish to not look at tapping into some of those expertise.”

The AFL is set to provide clubs with incentives to employ female assistant coaches.

The salary of a female assistant coach will sit outside the football department soft cap, while the AFL is set to contribute $50,000 to each aspiring coach.

The clubs will make up the difference.

Phillips herself hinted on AFL360 on Wednesday after her move to the Power was announced that coaching could be on the cards for her after one to two years playing for the club she grew up supporting.

You are absolutely on the money re Cornes and `his spiteful treatment of Hodges,' but in my opinion his biggest campaigner act re a Port player was when he dragged Danny Hughes in the first half of a game at Moorabbin.

Hughes was on Tony Lockett who was being given silver service by a rampant saint's midfield, and when he was removed from the field after Lockett had scored something like 5 goals he had to walk about 100 metres around the boundary and past the St Kilda members' stand.
Funnily enough I was at that game as a neutral spectator standing in front of the stand. It was my first ever AFL game and the first and last time I ever watched the crows when they weren't playing Port. They were comprehensively thrashed.

Sure Hughes was soundly beaten by Lockett but how you can blame one defensive player for that debacle is beyond me, let alone humiliate him in that fashion. But that's G.Cornes - a comprehensive and proven disgrace when it comes to the qualities of character that are needed to lead men.

Last edited:

The Port players were routinely treated poorly. Rumour had it Greg Phillips quit during pre-season after a run in with Cornes.

The Port players were routinely treated poorly. Rumour had it Greg Phillips quit during pre-season after a run in with Cornes.

Then there was the 21st party of a player who invited every one of his team-mates except for Scott Hodges. That anti-Port chip on Cornes' shoulder flowing into the change-rooms.

A toxic environment under Cornes that the crows historians choose to ignore.

Then there was the 21st party of a player who invited every one of his team-mates except for Scott Hodges. That anti-Port chip on Cornes' shoulder flowing into the change-rooms.

A toxic environment under Cornes that the crows historians choose to ignore.
What are the odds that the said Crows player turning 21 in Hodges' early years at the AFC was a former Glenelg player such as Jameson or Liptak?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd put the video of Rocky and Raz interview with Erin in here rather than just the link via twitter post.

Erin is as good as an ambassador for the PAFC as any other past player, coach or administrator. She's brilliant.

The fact she played with the crows and won flags for them and not us, is a bit disappointing, but if anything, it enhanced her reputation by sharing her and has helped promote the Port Adelaide story Australia wide.

It reminds me a bit of Russell Ebert. He was always widely respected outside Port Adelaide, but by playing with North Melbourne, coaching Woodville, then as Teal Cup / U-18 state coach and state of origin coach, and his media work, his reputation and appreciation of him by non Port Adelaide people grew, and then coming home he brought a lot of that goodwill back to Port, and helped us grow our fan base via his great work in the community programs.

How many times did you hear I'm not a Port fan, but I really respected Russell Ebert as a footballer and what he did off the field?? I think Erin will end up being held in a similar sort of regard.

Next time we go to the AFL and ask to be allowed to wear the Prison Bars, we should put Erin on the team making the pitch and letting her talk about trying to replicate what Greg did and play in the same jumper he did. There won't be a dry eye around the boardroom table.

And given there are two threads re Erin, just incase the mods don't merge them ( hint hint Ford Fairlane) here is the video of Erin on AFL 360 on Wednesday doing another wonderful job representing and selling the club.

Last edited:
Good to see the ABC using Erin Phillips, resplendent in a Power guernsey, as a pin up girl. Also good to see the girls get a pay rise let us hope the standard lifts by 94%. The best paid players, of which I assume Erin is one, will get $7,500 per minor round game.

ea48df61bc11a4e5f5076eea585998b6

Good to see the ABC using Erin Phillips, resplendent in a Power guernsey, as a pin up girl. Also good to see the girls get a pay rise let us hope the standard lifts by 94%. The best paid players, of which I assume Erin is one, will get $7,500 per minor round game.

It's now official - AFLW is the second best comp in the land! And any SANFL players who don't like that should compare their pay with the SANFLW (do they even get paid at all?), not the AFLW.

Not according to Caroline Wilson. She said the players will be paid their salary over 12 months so that it can assist them when they go for loans or leases so they can show they have a steady monthly income stream rather than a lumpy one over 4 or 5 months.

The way she described it, it sounds like these are base payments, no matter how many matches you play, and there are no individual match payments.

It's now official - AFLW is the second best comp in the land! And any SANFL players who don't like that should compare their pay with the SANFLW (do they even get paid at all?), not the AFLW.
Nope. Source: I have friends who ply SANFLW.

Not according to Caroline Wilson. She said the players will be paid their salary over 12 months so that it can assist them when they go for loans or leases so they can show they have a steady monthly income stream rather than a lumpy one over 4 or 5 months.

The way she described it, it sounds like these are base payments, no matter how many matches you play, and there are no individual match payments.

Carro is probably right, I was posting tongue in cheek. I realise that there is a lot more involved than 10 minor round games. The lower echelon AFLW players will still need part time employment. For these players the base payment is $39,184 which works out around $750 a week and they will get that regardless as to how many games they play.

At the risk of being labelled old fashioned I do not think part time work outside of football is a bad thing. I think all AFL players male and female should be encouraged to have a post AFL career in mind. If that involves part time employment or study while being paid to play footy then great. I admire people like Daryl Wakelin and Tom Jonas for combining study with sport and getting a tertiary qualification while playing AFL football.

Carro is probably right, I was posting tongue in cheek. I realise that there is a lot more involved than 10 minor round games. The lower echelon AFLW players will still need part time employment. For these players the base payment is $39,184 which works out around $750 a week and they will get that regardless as to how many games they play.

At the risk of being labelled old fashioned I do not think part time work outside of football is a bad thing. I think all AFL players male and female should be encouraged to have a post AFL career in mind. If that involves part time employment or study while being paid to play footy then great. I admire people like Daryl Wakelin and Tom Jonas for combining study with sport and getting a tertiary qualification while playing AFL football.
I agree working part time is good for the players, and eventually the club if they do work and have to solve problems and get better work life balance.

The club encourages our players to study and either work or study on the their Tuesdays, day off.

I meet Matthew Broadbent at the Player Sponsorship dinner in 2013 as I represented Big Footy Port Board's player sponsorship and he was our player.

He was in year 11 and 12 at St Mick's with my niece, and my nephew was a couple of years older but they knew each other. So we struck up a bit of a friendship and over the years have had a regular chat. He spotted me at Russell Ebert's funeral and came up and said g'day.

He told me that in 2013 on his Tuesdays off, he and 3 or 4 others were effectively doing a private Cert IV business studies diploma with guys involved with the club sponsors giving them lectures about accounting, financing, law, marketing etc.

Couple of years later when we were chatting he said he was working on his Tuesdays at a coterie group sponsors' business doing general admin stuff.

He told me some guys go and spend their Tuesdays working in the Community Programs over and above what the club ask them to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back