Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

576996-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Ep4: To the Final Bell Podcast

In this episode:

1:30 - The panel give their STOP, START and KEEP DOING for the Cats from the weekend

11:00 - VFL Writer Angus Kramer with a VFL wrap

15:00 - VFLW/AFLW coach Paul Hood gives a team update

19:00 - Your questions answered in From the Cheap Seats

25:00 - Rising Cats star Esava Ratugolea takes the Hot Seat

33:30 - The panel put the spotlight on their targets in For Whom the Bell Tolls

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-05-24/ep4-to-the-final-bell-podcast

Watching SavRat take a couple of marks against Ess. , it reminded me of how much we have missed a big guy with vertical talents like his. Hawks best vertical days have come and gone , once he was tunnelled and it hurt his back he stays more on the ground... but Sav ..coming off an injury but obviously still have spring to burn.

In some respect he reminds me of a player we tried and tried to get to Geelong in the 80's . Stephen Michael.. back then we just couldnt get him to come across , he was winning their Sandover and at the peak of his powers just when we were desperate for someone of his talent in 80 and 81.

Can Sav be as good as Michael was ? He has a bit to go but its a different era , and one could argue that Sav is just as athletic , perhaps even more so.. he just has so footy nous to acquire.. It does make one see why some see him as our long term ruck. Those marks around the ground , with quick handpasses out to a quick mid going past... Mmm

Heres Michael in 80 and 81 ..

Watching SavRat take a couple of marks against Ess. , it reminded me of how much we have missed a big guy with vertical talents like his. Hawks best vertical days have come and gone , once he was tunnelled and it hurt his back he stays more on the ground... but Sav ..coming off an injury but obviously still have spring to burn.

In some respect he reminds me of a player we tried and tried to get to Geelong in the 80's . Stephen Michael.. back then we just couldnt get him to come across , he was winning their Sandover and at the peak of his powers just when we were desperate for someone of his talent in 80 and 81.

Can Sav be as good as Michael was ? He has a bit to go but its a different era , and one could argue that Sav is just as athletic , perhaps even more so.. he just has so footy nous to acquire.. It does make one see why some see him as our long term ruck. Those marks around the ground , with quick handpasses out to a quick mid going past... Mmm

Heres Michael in 80 and 81 ..

Nice! Being able to mark with one big grab, it's what poor old Buzza lacks.
Bloody hell, there's a couple of weird looking helmets going 'round in that clip!

Like his groundball work too TC. He is exceptionally good when the ball hits the deck.

Yeah he really hunts the ball and the man. He is just so physically imposing and is never out of the game. Seeing him running around freely and with some confidence last night was the best moment of the season so far. He's a huge talent.

It was a shame he shanked that kick after beating everyone to the ball in the square.
my missus commented last night about how explosive he was there... she said he is bigger than everyone else there and quicker than them all as well.. was ridiculously athletic how he competed and then hit the ground running to burst through with that ball

my missus commented last night about how explosive he was there... she said he is bigger than everyone else there and quicker than them all as well.. was ridiculously athletic how he competed and then hit the ground running to burst through with that ball
Just needed to settle a bit. Will come with experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just needed to settle a bit. Will come with experience.
yeah my thoughts exactly, he was just full of intent and exuberance and tried to smash it through, in another 6 months even he just dribbles that or steers it through gently

With Sav, Danger, Rohan and Stewart we have four players with genuine afterburners. A couple of others have good pace, not the initial acceleration.
Maybe Clark too.
Clark looked quick twice last night once was leaving Heppell for s**t. As long as they don't make him too bulky in the coming years, instead of the comparisons to Milburn I think he will be a mix of Milburn and Wojak.

Like his groundball work too TC. He is exceptionally good when the ball hits the deck.

The ground ball goal he sprayed is just something he needs to practice..he had it beat and overcooked it. I still think the ball look like a pineapple in his hands when kicking for goal but if he kick straight and it goes thru who cares. Capper looked like he was kicking the ball with a broom handle stuck in a painful place but over 40 he was good.
I find it hard to believe the figure on SMichael only being 1.88 ..id love someone with some wa info to confirm that.. . sav would be small for a ruck these days ..and we certainly lack quality options but him around the ground If proficient ..could he be as good as NickNat?

Loved the mark he took in the 2nd quarter when he ran past 5 Essendon defenders to get to the front of the pack. Awesome anticipation and agility.
Yeah, I watched his opponent during the (25) replays. He started behind, and then just turned his body into the pack to avoid contact, without trying to spoil. It wouldn't have made any difference, but it was a very poor look.

Loved the mark he took in the 2nd quarter when he ran past 5 Essendon defenders to get to the front of the pack. Awesome anticipation and agility.

It was a light bulb moment..oh thats what we have been missing... it makes me think we need to be very aware of talls with athleticism in the future ..as you have a chance to coach some stuff but I doubt you can coach that.

It was a light bulb moment..oh thats what we have been missing... it makes me think we need to be very aware of talls with athleticism in the future ..as you have a chance to coach some stuff but I doubt you can coach that.

Every club has been looking for this since Kouta. It's just a lucky dip really but we seem to have hit pay dirt here with how Sav has started to put it all together in such a promising way. He seems to have much more of a natural feel for the nuances of the game than Rhys Stanley for instance.....if you could just coach athletes, Stanley with his size, speed and strength would be the best player in the comp but it doesn't quite work like that.

Every club has been looking for this since Kouta. It's just a lucky dip really but we seem to have hit pay dirt here with how Sav has started to put it all together in such a promising way. He seems to have much more of a natural feel for the nuances of the game than Rhys Stanley for instance.....if you could just coach athletes, Stanley with his size, speed and strength would be the best player in the comp but it doesn't quite work like that.

Stanley simply lacks mental toughness. Players get better in this area as their career goes on but IMO Stanley was coming from a long way back and it will always hold him back from being what he could be.

Bailey Williams at the Nat Combine, speed and leap at 198cm is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back