Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think Dangerfield could easily play Full Forward, strong 1on1, good mark, pace of the mark

He's played forward quite a bit in the past few years and hasn't really had much of an impact. I know he's kicked a bag or two, but he largely struggles up forward. The criticism is that he has no forward craft, he might be able to learn that with a full pre-season training as a forward.

As long as he improves by at least 10% that'll be a pass for me.
A goal a game average, 3-4 marks a game. Get to another 2-3 contests and make a difference.
More importantly for me, is to play more in the ruck. He's gotta get a bigger tank.
I'll take 1 in 4 good games TBH. With more improvement the following years.
*FWIW I think that leg break cost him 18 months of development.

I agree, and the stats don't really show it but I think he has improved each year he's been on the list. In his first VFL game he had one hit out, zero disposals.

Role stability will be massive for him, if he can consistently play as the third tall forward and 2nd ruck it will do him a world of good.

I honestly think Dangerfield could easily play Full Forward, strong 1on1, good mark, pace of the mark

I think it's the Ablett syndrome. Ever since him every star midfielder who can take a mark is hailed as becoming a great forward later in their career. It was applied to Ricciuto, Buckley, Voss, and now Dangerfield. Almost always incorrect too.

There's a big difference between being able to outmark other midfielders and doing it to key defenders. Which he would face if he was a permanent forward. He was matched up with Rance in mid-2018 and touched the ball once in an hour. It's a lot more difficult than the media pundits think.

As it is he's already declining as a midfielder. Resting in a pocket or as a third option perhaps, but he won't make it as a key forward. We've tried many times ourselves in the last few years and he's had largely no impact.

I think it's the Ablett syndrome. Ever since him every star midfielder who can take a mark is hailed as becoming a great forward later in their career. It was applied to Ricciuto, Buckley, Voss, and now Dangerfield. Almost always incorrect too.

There's a big difference between being able to outmark other midfielders and doing it to key defenders. Which he would face if he was a permanent forward. He was matched up with Rance in mid-2018 and touched the ball once in an hour. It's a lot more difficult than the media pundits think.

As it is he's already declining as a midfielder. Resting in a pocket or as a third option perhaps, but he won't make it as a key forward. We've tried many times ourselves in the last few years and he's had largely no impact.
True. But then Snr was never exactly a star midfielder. Ricciuto always struck me as a dangerous forward late in his career when we played the crows. Danger's early career at the crows too I thought he played forward quite a bit to good effect. When he was 'on' he was that kind of player where you knew something was going to happen every time the ball went close to him. The key is being very good in the air and just as dangerous at ground level. It's a reason I think Sav has strong prospects as a forward. Needs to work on endurance and kicking.

He's played forward quite a bit in the past few years and hasn't really had much of an impact. I know he's kicked a bag or two, but he largely struggles up forward. The criticism is that he has no forward craft, he might be able to learn that with a full pre-season training as a forward.
Of the club said to Dangerfield day 1 of training you will have a full pre season as Full Forward I think he will adapt into that role at no problem

First 4 to 6 rounds will be huge for him, if the form isnt there early well surely look to bring Ceglar in and swing Stanley forward.

I have been a Sav fan - however that passage of play in crucial part of 1st qtr of PF - where Petracca basically wrenched the ball out of his hands and walked in a goal - that just about did me with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been a Sav fan - however that passage of play in crucial part of 1st qtr of PF - where Petracca basically wrenched the ball out of his hands and walked in a goal - that just about did me with him
A 1-off episode performed by the very best player in the comp- yep, #1 now- is a bit extreme to write-off Sav.

Last edited:
A 1-off episode performed by the very best player in the comp- yep, #1 now- is a bit extreme to write-off Sav.

If our future revolves around players like Sav .. I think we will soon be accumulating picks early in the R1. He has not shown enough for me to be confident he has a big future.

If our future revolves around players like Sav .. I think we will soon be accumulating picks early in the R1. He has not shown enough for me to be confident he has a big future.
Despite his height speed and ground ball skills, Sav is still not doing enough after a number of seasons. But every other club would give him another two years to reach his potential as he could be a real handfull up forward. Hawk won’t be there forever.
Sav needs to show some consistent form in the VFL before he takes a regular spot in the firsts.

2022 in my eye is make or brake for Esava... will be 24 next year, 6 years in the system.... I really really really hope he becomes the player we all want him to, but he can't play 1 good game in 8 matches... We can't keep making excuses for him, it's time Esava becomes more of a consistent player...

I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he will...
He really didn't get much of a preseason under his belt did he? Then sort of rushed in early in the season... but not used too well thereafter.

He needs continuity and a full preseason is the start of that. Then have Hawkins/Cameron/Esava work as forwards and fins their rhythm ... he's not ever going to get that sort of tutelage ever again.

Rohan then tried up as a High Half Forward or at a pinch HBF and the likes of Close/Stengle/Evans (or other smalls like Miers) to swarm and get some pressure/chaos into our pretty uniform forward line.

At 24 Sav is just going to start being more consistent I believe ... he is a late bloomer and 26 onwards will be where he really hits his straps.

But yeah he needs to be able to improve a fair bit in 2022 .... If he has the type of character we all hope he does then I think we are going to start seeing something special ... consistently!

That could be true, but his kick is till far better then Esavas
I've said this before and I'll say it again. His kicking style is not too bad. There are a couple of flaws in the drop and that does affect where he connects.... but his Ruck work this year would have had a large impact on this too.

For those that have never rucked ....your shins cop a beating even with padding, your legs get heavy pretty early on from the one on one contest and the ability to kick through a ball becomes hindered pretty quick (corks through the tibialis anterior are the worst and can take a while to heal and kicking then becomes a little off ... then add shin guards and it doesn't matter if you're Darren Jarman ... there's nothing that's going to necessarily help you at times (it's not always but you could do the same kick 100 times and 30 just decide to make you look like it's your first time kicking it).

There's ways mitigate some of this of course .... but if they want him to be a forward then don't put him in the Ruck... not even a secondary.

He really didn't get much of a preseason under his belt did he? Then sort of rushed in early in the season... but not used too well thereafter.

He needs continuity and a full preseason is the start of that. Then have Hawkins/Cameron/Esava work as forwards and fins their rhythm ... he's not ever going to get that sort of tutelage ever again.

Rohan then tried up as a High Half Forward or at a pinch HBF and the likes of Close/Stengle/Evans (or other smalls like Miers) to swarm and get some pressure/chaos into our pretty uniform forward line.

At 24 Sav is just going to start being more consistent I believe ... he is a late bloomer and 26 onwards will be where he really hits his straps.

But yeah he needs to be able to improve a fair bit in 2022 .... If he has the type of character we all hope he does then I think we are going to start seeing something special ... consistently!

Unless there was another injury, Ratugolea competed the majority of the preseason as the knock he received to his leg was late February

Obviously not ideal leading into the season, but thought he was available for the majority of the preseason prior to the point and would hope he wasn't coming from as far back as if the injury was earlier in the preseason & he didn't get that work in

Unless there was another injury, Ratugolea competed the majority of the preseason as the knock he received to his leg was late February

Obviously not ideal leading into the season, but thought he was available for the majority of the preseason prior to the point and would hope he wasn't coming from as far back as if the injury was earlier in the preseason & he didn't get that work in
Ah thanks - I totally forgot about that. So yeah should have had some fitness tickets ... but when he did come back they were pretty cautious with time on ground and Ruck initially from memory?

this year is make or break for him. Enough games and pre seasons, is a mature aged footballer now and no longer a kid.

he makes it or probably look to delist him end of season if they can bring in another key forward through the draft or trade.

this year is make or break for him. Enough games and pre seasons, is a mature aged footballer now and no longer a kid.

he makes it or probably look to delist him end of season if they can bring in another key forward through the draft or trade.
Doesnt have the young and raw excuse for much longer the guy will be 24 by mid year with 6 pre seasons under his belt, contracted for 2023 though so he's still going to get given time.

I really wish we moved him on in the Cameron trade when GWS were keen on him.
Lose a potential future star as well as a raft of draft picks for a 29 year old who gets 4 touches in a PF? No thanks. If we were going to sign Cameron it should only have been as a free agent. Imo, as it is, that trade will hurt us for years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back