Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Our tallest (slowest? Probably not without Tuohy to be honest) possible backline:

FB: O'Connor** Ratugolea J.Henry*
HB: Kolo De Koning Stewart

IC: Z.Guthrie Duncan**

*swing forward
**wing/mids rotation

So let's say 3 of the 8 will be sharing duties across the field

In 2017 we had:

FB: Bews Lonergan Henderson
HB: Stewart Taylor Kolo

IC: Tuohy** Mackie**

I'm interested to hear thoughts on whether the 2023 version would have less speed, agility and athleticism than the one in 2017. If not, why wouldn't form and current ability be used as the main criteria rather than height alone? When Tuohy has lost two yards of speed anyway, and Bews one?

2020 back line:

FB: Bews Henderson J.Henry
HB: Kolo Taylor Stewart

IC: Tuohy O'Connor

The match committee simply will not select 4 tall defenders in the side. They have done it every year it was possible, but this time it will be different.

Now I'm actually pretty 50/50 on whether they'd do it. It's very possible they go another direction. It's merely the finality and definitiveness of people that strikes me as odd. On exposed evidence, it's an option they wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

They won't pick a similar line up to above except for replacing the older, slower Taylor + Lonergan for the more athletic and speedy SDK + Sav? Based on...too tall? Too slow? Let me see the logic.
We didnt win a flag in 2017/2020. Last year our defence was more balanced

Just add to add:
Brisbane will have potentially McCarthy, Cameron, Raynor and Bailey in their forwardline. and Gunston, Hipwood and Daniher. How does Geelong match up?

We didnt win a flag in 2017/2020. Last year our defence was more balanced

Just add to add:
Brisbane will have potentially McCarthy, Cameron, Raynor and Bailey in their forwardline. and Gunston, Hipwood and Daniher. How does Geelong match up?
Interesting cause-effect. Might I propose that having a forward line 10x as good, way better squad management, proper outside runners on the wings, a more mobile full back and a deep midfield rotation with better balance (Atkins, Blicavs, time management for others) were bigger factors? All I'm showing is that the MC chose those defences and there's not been any confirmation that they would restrict the line up based on a tall, fast defence when they chose a tall, slow defence many other times.

Hipwood-SDK
Daniher-Ratugolea
Gunston-Kolo
McCarthy-J.Henry (Grimes playing on small role)
Cameron-O'Connor
Raynor-Z.Guthrie
Bailey-Stewart

Sure, an in form Bews moving as he did a couple of years ago is a walk in. Tuohy in the past has even manned McCarthy and Cameron. Neither have shown much agility, reflexes or stopping power this season. But we choose them...because they're not very tall?

Due to injuries ... its only personal judgement that is guiding us.

I get the feeling CS will keep him in the backline. His marking ability is a rare commodity. His deficiencies will not be as obvious if our mid field was playing better

Blitz is 32 and almost been bulletproof ... how long can that last. Sam Dek ..where does the club see him long term. Potentially they see Stanleys replacement in him...or perhaps Blitz and his flexibility.

It would be nice to see a clean sheet and all players available to see how the club feels it all goes together

Bews and Tuohy as our back pockets based on how they're playing and moving in 2023 so far gives me cold shivers.
Let’s judge when the team is playing to expectations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back