moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
First round games, played next weekend (14,15,16th Sept)

Qualifying Play-offs:
Wigan Warriors (1st) v, Catalan Dragons (4th)
Warrington Wolves (2nd) v. St.Helens (3rd)

Elimination Play-offs:
Leeds Rhinos (5th) v. Wakefield Wildcats (8th)
Hull FC (6th) v. Huddersfield Giants (7th)

Saints grabbed third spot after beating Wigan the other day after a Wigan player was sent off after only a quarter of an hour.

Do they still have the pick your opponent option later in the finals, moto?

Yes, they do. Club Call, they call it. It's just a stupid gimmick really, and I'm sure most of the coaches would be happy to see the back of it.

I'm going to make a serious effort to get to the Grand Final at Old Trafford this year, seeing as I didn't go to the Challenge Cup Final as I usually do. I've never been to a Grand Final before.

Was a great effort by Wakefield to make the eight: they won their last seven games to pip Bradford at the post. They have given a home to Wigan and Sharks reject Tim Smith, who seems to be flourishing at that level. ;).

Saw the Wigan sending off: it was a funny incident, McLaurin kinda cuffed Laffranchi around the back of the head with his forearm from behind, pretty hard, and very late. It wasn't brutal, but it was a cheap shot, and probably deserving of a red. Not what you want to be doing in the 16th minute.

And with a three match ban, McLaurin is effectively out for the season. A big loss, but you wouldn't have thought so as Wigan trampled over Catalan Dragons 46--6. Scott Dureau and Thomas Bosc were no match for Brett Finch and Thomas Leuluai in the halves. Those two will be a big loss for the Warriors next season, but for now they look the team to beat. Towards the end of the game, Sam Tomkins went off, precautionary only I think, and Superleague top try-scorer Josh Charnley moved to full-back. Another too-deep kick from Dureau was fielded on his own ten-metre line, and Charnley waltzed the length of the field to score a wonderful try Ben Barba would have been proud of.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rle/details/event.aspx?itemref=8840

£61. max That's 94 of your Australian dollars.

Old Trafford is a fantastic stadium, though. I expect you've seen in on TV... :)

That's decent value for a grandfinal for top seats and certainly cheaper than prices we are charged down here. Yes of course I've seen Old Trafford on telly, when I win Tattslotto an ambition of mine is to take a trip to England and watch a game at that stadium.

Whenever I watch esl (now thanks to Eurosports) I love the signing and chanting at games in England.
For some reasons Aussies don't really get into that apart from the occassional groups at games.
Ryan Hoffman commented once in an interview on how he misses that here in Aust.

Thanks for that, Coop. It certainly is a terrific atmosphere to see Wigan play at home. I've been away this weekend, so haven't really kept up with the play-offs, apart from the Wigan game I saw on Friday. Was surprised to see Saints beat Warrington, though.

Watching the highlights last night, Saints looked very impressive. Are Warrington blowing the finals yet again? Wakefield put up a strong display too, and the final score didn't really reflect the game; Leeds scored three tries right at the end. Difference was, Leeds took all their chances clinically. Wakefield had a wonderful chance to bring it back to just a four-point deficit when a breakaway from their own end saw them bearing down on the Leeds try-line with ten minutes or so to go, but an awful final pass went to ground when they should have scored under the posts. Rob Burrow was in scintillating form, reminiscent of his great display in last year's GF.

Now Leeds have to beat Catalans in France to stay alive in the play-offs: the Dragons only lost one home game all season. The Dragons scored first, and it remained 4-0 for much of the first half, until Leeds capitalised on some needless penalties by the French side to score two quick tries, leaving them 12-4 up with a minute to go to half time. Leeds had possession 20m out from the Dragons line, but instead of playing for the field goal, Danny Maguire unaccountably tried a risky long pass to the wing. One length of the field interception later, Leeds' lead had been cut to 12-10. The Leeds coach will be fuming no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real thriller in the second half, with Leeds coming out on top by 27-20, led by an inspirational effort by Kevin Sinfield, who has kicked twelve from twelve in the play-offs so far. The Rhinos really do look a different side in the play-offs, having been frankly pretty ordinary for much of the regular season.

Warrington stopped the rot with a determined 24-12 win over Hull FC. Wigan chose Leeds, who they beat twice comfortably in the league, although Leeds knocked them out of the Challenge Cup at the semi-final stage. Hence the semis are:

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos
St. Helens v. Warrington Wolves.

Games played next week, with the GF the week after.

I don't think Wigan will slip up again after the Challenge Cup. Leeds' improvement in form in the play-offs really is remarkable, though. They've gone from a pretty ordinary looking side to real contenders. Wigan won't find it easy, but I think they'll edge it.

Saints/Warrington is really hard to call. I think I'll go for Warrington, their poor play-off record notwithstanding. On paper they are a better side than Saints.

I don't think Wigan will slip up again after the Challenge Cup. Leeds' improvement in form in the play-offs really is remarkable, though. They've gone from a pretty ordinary looking side to real contenders. Wigan won't find it easy, but I think they'll edge it.

Saints/Warrington is really hard to call. I think I'll go for Warrington, their poor play-off record notwithstanding. On paper they are a better side than Saints.

I'm with you Moto, Wigan and Warington should win.

I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on the Eurosports TV guide, especially this weekend when both G/Finals are on here in Melb, but they do a replay of games on Monday/Tuesday morning/afternoon.

Maybe AuckMel is onto something: Leeds 11-0 up at half-time (one try, two pens and a field goal). First time Wigan have been kept scoreless in a first half all season. Sam Tomkins isn't playing; Wigan have got a youngster at full-back.

Wigan 12 Leeds 13. :(

Wigan scored straight after half-time when Thomas Leuluai put Harrison Hansen in, and then Brett Finch slipped a fine pass tp Pat Richards, who went over in the corner and then converted from the touch-line. But Leeds were given a crucial penalty just ten metres out, and Kevin Sinfield doesn't miss those. Once again they have reached the GF from fifth. Leeds have got to the GF seven times in the last nine years, a fantastic effort.

I'll be sorry not to see Wigan at Old Trafford, but I'm sure it'll be a cracking game. Looking forward to the Saints/Warrington game tomorrow now.

Leeds might just be favourites now, but I'd love to see Lee Briers and Brett Hodgson win it for Warrington, they have played some lovely stuff this season. Watching that old clip of the 2005 NRL GF earlier where Hodgson was playing with the young Benji and Scotty Prince; the Tigers had quite a side then.

Woo hey! GF ticket arrived in the post today! :D

Awesome Moto...enjoy!
As I said briefly in another thread, classic game of rugby league between Leeds & Wigan. Watched most of it and glad I taped it cos a friend dropped by! Very annoying when that happens, I need to put a sign on the door...*Not welcome..whilst watching Rugby League* LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back