AFL Autopsy Ess 12.9.81 def by NM 14.9.93

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Chris Scott's seems less annoying for some reason too, how the hell is that possible? lol

Because Chris doesn't have this whiny little bitch face all the time.

I dun goof'd.
You sure did.

Adding to this point:

Any North fans who think it'd be a hilarious thing to come in and troll; Don't complain when you get banned.

That's like eating twelve Big Macs a day and complaining about gaining weight.

Last edited:
A very sad end to a very sad 2 years. Our weaknesses were heavily exposed last night and hopefully we learn from this and come back a legitimate contender next year.
Sad in more ways. Sad in that Bomber's last game as head coach-has been the most enjoyable coach we've had in a long time since the mid Sheedy era.
Sad in that it was possibly Ryder's last game for the club.
Sad to see us go down in such weak fashion.
Sad considering we were kicked out of finals last year and couldn't even win a final this year being up by 33 points in the 3rd quarter.

I hope we do some serious recruiting in the off season (A 3rd tall defender, small fwd, wingman) and would like to see players like Myers, Bellchambers (if Ryder leaves), Carlisle, become genuine consistent A Graders.
And for Goddard to play as a genuine midfielder - one of the few mistakes Bomber made all year was trying to utilize Goddard as a part time key fwd which clearly didn't suit him. His best games came against North (rd 1), Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Gold Coast when he lead the midfield group

You're all writing like you are a perennial top 4 side who were expected to win. Dons have a good few but Norths players 5-22 are much better the yours and that's why we won. We played atrociously in the first half also.

You're all writing like you are a perennial top 4 side who were expected to win. Dons have a good few but Norths players 5-22 are much better the yours and that's why we won. We played atrociously in the first half also.

thx m8

I think people are writing like a bunch of people that are really disappointed their team lost so thanks for dropping by to share your thoughts on the game and now that you've done that you can run along back to the North board and enjoy your win there.

Watched the replay, had time to assess.

Game was lost at selection and the Steinberg match up. Yes lots of other things went wrong, Watson was down on his usual lofty standards, Stanton and Winders had mares.. Dempsey was the sub.

However you make the move on Brown before his 3rd goal.. and we win. Simple as that. The move came too late.

And what would you have done when Aaron Black got off the leash as a result of Steinberg moving on to him? As soon as you made to move Black started carving you through the midfield as a lead up forawrd, got on the end of a heap of linkup plays and looked more dangerous. Steinberg would have (and did) got carved with Black's searching leads up to the wings and doubling back. Even Brown led him up and beat him on numerous occasions. I don't believe you had any other fit key defenders?

WE're going to trouble teams with 3 decent tall forwards, because not many teams have 3 decent tall defenders.

The only way you were going to win the match was doing what you were doing in that first half and winning the ball through the midfield (Heppell,Watson were immense) and restricting the quality of our inside 50s. As soon as we got on top you were always going to struggle.

Surely footballing maturity is not giving up 30+ point leads and dispatching teams which are significantly worse.

Semantics. I classified blowing leads as mental toughness. Call it what you will. I believe they have progressed as far as structures, on field leadership and overall footy smarts. A noticeable difference lacking this year was that amazing passion we saw in 2013. Colyer reminded me of it but the rest of the players too often looked slow and unwilling to break the lines.

I am excited to see Hirdy take over but believe the knowledge the players got from Bomber will benefit them long term under Hirdy. I expect improvement next year though.

And what would you have done when Aaron Black got off the leash as a result of Steinberg moving on to him? As soon as you made to move Black started carving you through the midfield as a lead up forawrd, got on the end of a heap of linkup plays and looked more dangerous. Steinberg would have (and did) got carved with Black's searching leads up to the wings and doubling back. Even Brown led him up and beat him on numerous occasions. I don't believe you had any other fit key defenders?

WE're going to trouble teams with 3 decent tall forwards, because not many teams have 3 decent tall defenders.

The only way you were going to win the match was doing what you were doing in that first half and winning the ball through the midfield (Heppell,Watson were immense) and restricting the quality of our inside 50s. As soon as we got on top you were always going to struggle.
Happy for Black to get the ball as a link up, he's not shooting on goal if he's on the wing.

Correct Steinberg was playing because Fletcher, Pears & Carlisle were all out injured so we were without another option. With a fit squad of talls there wouldn't have been too much trouble there. Hurley should've gone to Brown earlier. Let Black have it on the wings. Petrie did 3/5ths of * all until the last 5 minutes.

Honestly think the worse side on the night won the game. We lost it, norf didn't win it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Semantics. I classified blowing leads as mental toughness. Call it what you will. I believe they have progressed as far as structures, on field leadership and overall footy smarts. A noticeable difference lacking this year was that amazing passion we saw in 2013. Colyer reminded me of it but the rest of the players too often looked slow and unwilling to break the lines.

I am excited to see Hirdy take over but believe the knowledge the players got from Bomber will benefit them long term under Hirdy. I expect improvement next year though.

I don't think it's semantics at all. How can you say our structures, leadership and footy smarts have improved when we failed to win from more than half of our five-goal leads this season? In 2013 we were 10/10 in those situations. We also pegged back the following margins to win: 22, 37, 28, 31, 23, 20. This year we came back from 23 against Adelaide to win.

Happy for Black to get the ball as a link up, he's not shooting on goal if he's on the wing.

Correct Steinberg was playing because Fletcher, Pears & Carlisle were all out injured so we were without another option. With a fit squad of talls there wouldn't have been too much trouble there. Hurley should've gone to Brown earlier. Let Black have it on the wings. Petrie did 3/5ths of **** all until the last 5 minutes.

Honestly think the worse side on the night won the game. We lost it, norf didn't win it.

That's hardly losing it at the 'selection table' though is it? You were affected by injuries, but at the end of the day Black is definitely our second best forward and you put your 2nd best defender on him.
When Hurley went to Brown, Black killed you through the wings, and then lead back forward. I'd have no doubt whatsoever that Black would have torched you more than Brown did.

That's hardly losing it at the 'selection table' though is it? You were affected by injuries, but at the end of the day Black is definitely our second best forward and you put your 2nd best defender on him.
When Hurley went to Brown, Black killed you through the wings, and then lead back forward. I'd have no doubt whatsoever that Black would have torched you more than Brown did.

He didn't score. He hardly "killed" us.

Black is a good player. He's played horribly all year and I don't think him having the ball on the wings was a big issue for us. We used to do it all the time to Cloke/Tarrant from the pies. If they've got it 80+ from goal, they're not kicking goals. Wouldn't have worried me to have him kicking in to Petrie who was given another bath (bar the last 5 minutes) or Brown (with Hurley on him).

I agree, we lost it.

I mean North certainly changed tactics after half time, but we were still winning enough of the ball to counter that and protect our 5 goal lead.

We lost it by playing stupid, "cute" football, particularly in the back half.

We kept picking out the wrong options; there were a few instances where we had a spare man on the flank or wing, but the man with the ball didn't even look up to see him, so instead we handpassed to the side or kicked to a 2-on-1 (North's advantage).

We literally handed them 5 or 6 goals in that passage.

Apart from Linsday Thomas who is an absolute disgrace of a footballer, I have no issue with North.

I'm frustrated because we squandered a match that we should have won comfortably, and some of our more senior players were the biggest problems.

There was a complete lack of desire to keep doing the things which had got us into the winning position in the first place. No overlap run, no game breaking handball, no fast break to Daniher on the lead.

To me that suggests that either the gameplan is unsustainable because it can only be implemented for a quarter a week, or that the players get complacent and have been doing so all season (literally, week in week out) and not realised that they need to do it for longer. The latter seems preposterous, so I'm inclined to think it's the former.

I'd have thought your recruiting has been pretty good? Certainly Goddard and Chapman are happy with it. Probably need to go back and get a KF, but I like how Essendon didn't persist with Crameri because he wasn't the answer to your problems - Daniher will be, **** he was good last night, and Carlisle will only be 2nd in command, that's how good Daniher will be. Ryder is the big one, but from what I've read, it's a bit of a media build-up and he should stay.

So really it comes down to improving your flankers and 2nd tier midfielders imo - these aren't the players you need to be spending top 10 picks on. Guys like Dempsey, Winderlich, Colyer, Stanton, Howlett, Hocking, Gleeson, Fantasia, Kommer, Jetta, Kavanagh, Melksham, Hardingham are those who are a bit 'iffy' - Baguley and Hibberd are gun smalls, Colyer is improving, Gleeson is young. But I have doubts on the rest of them.
The nucleus of your side (Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Chapman, Zaharakis, Myers, Ryder, Daniher, Carlisle, Hooker, Hurley, Baguley, Hibberd + Bellchambers, Z.Merrett) is just as good as any other, and has a great spine sorted.

Need a big pre-season from all those 2nd/3rd tier smalls though - if Kavanagh and Melksham come on, Gleeson and Colyer continue to improve, and guys like Hardingham/Jetta are delisted, then as long as that spine stays fit and you're not playing Daniher/Carlisle as rucks, can't see why top 4 is out of the equation...

Best of luck, been a tough season for you lot but for the most part, your board and fans are great to banter with and I'm probably one of the few Blues who respect you guys.
How would you know? You've never posted on the Carlton Board.

Apart from Linsday Thomas who is an absolute disgrace of a footballer, I have no issue with North.

I'm frustrated because we squandered a match that we should have won comfortably, and some of our more senior players were the biggest problems.
I have no issue with North beating us either and wouldn't mind seeing them beat the Cats next week. Thomas just constantly plays for free kicks, it is hard to watch because you know that he will eventually get one paid.

Carlisle plays and we win last night. Still hurts a lot, should have won with that lead. But we've said that a few times this year, haven't we?

Not some days. Makes me wonder how a poster racks up 1500+ without being seen on their club's board though, then talks about who that board respects. Odd.

Sorry, it was a half-volley outside off. Can't let those go through to the keeper. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back