Review Essendon 16.7.103 decimated Colliwobbles 5.9.39

Remove this Banner Ad

Frost really is a bog average player isn't he?

Gotta think some have trouble rating players. Frost is tracking beautifully as a key defender. Strong enough,close checking, aggressive, good closing speed. Decision-making and skills need more development,though these are not key competencies for a tall defender.

Put it this way - Frost has shown more at the same stage of his career than Hooker.

By poor man's McDonald, I mean that he beats his man illegally as opposed to legally, and is a 0.5/10 when his team has the ball, as opposed to a 1/10.

Wow !

Did you see Hooker monster Cloke 2 or 3 times on Sunday. Perfectly legal tactics but illegal in your opinion.

If he was a young defender at Essendon he wouldn't be getting a game.

At 22 years of age most decent defenders were well ahead of this kid. He was drafted late because he wasn't the equal of his peers.

So when I say he's bog average, I mean he's bog average.

Now, it's possible he can have some sudden spurt in performance and jump up several levels (it happens), but right now he's a 22 year old key defender of limited ability - a bog average player.

How many 22 year olds are elite defenders ?

See how many you can name from the last 15 years ?

The sign of a really good player is taking a mark/getting a free kick in the defensive goalsquare and then handballing to a static team mate behind you because your footskills are that putrid.

Never stopped Darren Glass or Simon Prestigiacomo - And that's without thinking.

Not that I rate Frost but I rate the matchup against Daniher about a 50/50 split. Derp had 10 touches, 6 marks and kicked 1.1
Frost had 13 touches, 6 marks but 10 uncontested touches... these days with all that chip kicking around the backline trying to see if the switch is on some backmens stats are always a little inflated.
I'd assume Frost also had 2/3 clangers but cant find that statistic

Frost got the points against JD - The pertinent question is why Maxwell and Frost didn't swap ?

Not really, I rate McDonald reasonably highly with the caveat that he should never be allowed to touch the footy.

My point is that Frost has none of the (extremely limited) attacking prowess that McDonald has, but also fails to beat his man within the rules.

You are like a ' bee in a bonnet ' about playing within the rules. Frost does what all good defenders should do - And that's limiting his opponents from taking marks - And this is usually done in two ways - Blocking their run at the ball and stopping the forward getting his hands up to mark.

Frost's biggest defensive deficiency is getting turned around by smart forwards - This is what i want JD to work on next time.

Gotta think some have trouble rating players.

Geez I really dislike this. How do you know? How do you know that you just can't rate players at all, and Frost is in fact a damn average player?

Frost is tracking beautifully as a key defender. Strong enough,close checking, aggressive, good closing speed. Decision-making and skills need more development,though these are not key competencies for a tall defender.

Put it this way - Frost has shown more at the same stage of his career than Hooker.

Absolute crap.

Hooker entered the 2010 season as a 21 year old, and held down the CHB spot at Essendon all year (barring injury). Now before anyone goes all 'yeah but, Frost hadn't been recruited....' - well guess what, Hooker was GOOD ENOUGH to get recruited early, Frost was not.

Frost has entered this year as a 22 year old, and trails Hooker in every meaningful statistic for the same season.

Disposals, Marks, Effective disposals, rebound 50s.....

Bloody ridiculous - Hooker shits on Frost from a great height no matter how you compare them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many 22 year olds are elite defenders ?

See how many you can name from the last 15 years ?

Who so much as uttered the word elite?

I said he was average. And to be fair, that was probably overly generous because average would imply he's around the middle level of defenders.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I read on the Collingwood board that someone rated Frost's game as:

Defensively: B-
Disposal / Decision Making: F

I think that's about right

Coach and 5 players on other lists while Collingwood has been in a three year holding pattern in which they've failed to take advantage of a list that should have created a premiership dynasty and have made questionable gains in terms of the evolution of their list (using the picks secured by trading out quality premiership players).

I never thought that I'd view Buckly as being good for football.

I would like to thank Eddie McGuire for detabalising both Carlton and Collingwood with his coaching succession plan. Unfortunately his "mother" has distabalised Essendon too!

Geez I really dislike this. How do you know? How do you know that you just can't rate players at all, and Frost is in fact a damn average player?

Absolute crap.

Hooker entered the 2010 season as a 21 year old, and held down the CHB spot at Essendon all year (barring injury). Now before anyone goes all 'yeah but, Frost hadn't been recruited....' - well guess what, Hooker was GOOD ENOUGH to get recruited early, Frost was not.

Frost has entered this year as a 22 year old, and trails Hooker in every meaningful statistic for the same season.

Disposals, Marks, Effective disposals, rebound 50s.....

Bloody ridiculous - Hooker shits on Frost from a great height no matter how you compare them.

We are comparing defenders when they are 22 - Frost is tracking along well - We don't know how good Frost will be in three years time - I can say that few of us thought that Hooker would have reached his current heights - I don't think you can only look at statistics when rating defenders.

Frost is doing OK as the number one defender as an average performer - I rate Frost as having two poor games in 2014 - Which is a good effort.

Who so much as uttered the word elite?

I said he was average. And to be fair, that was probably overly generous because average would imply he's around the middle level of defenders.

Still waiting for you to find those 22 year old elite defenders. There were a few around in the 70's and 80's - They seemed to disappear from the 1990's.

Still waiting for you to find those 22 year old elite defenders. There were a few around in the 70's and 80's - They seemed to disappear from the 1990's.

Jake Carlisle was 21 for all of last season

Fletch was elite at 18...Sean Wellman was a walk up start at fullback at Adelaide in his first year....As Yaco said, not many (I thought nobody) thought Hooker would be this good 2-3 years ago...having said that, I don't rate frost either..I was pissed off when the deal with St Kilda picks 24,25 didn't go through..No so now, happily licking egg off my face, Hooker has become quite incredible...I don't even worry when he gets the ball now, he has made some giant steps...Our backline is elite, future is bright..

On another note, what was the most laughable moment of the match?
im tossing up between;

a) Jack Frost thinking he is above and beyond the rules and running the 100m sprint final without taking a bounce

or

b) Harry'O, giving, getting, giving, getting, galloping along like the peasant front runner he is and ever so eloquently turning it over into the awaiting hands of (I think it was) Dustin Fletcher

or

c) the highly regarded, high draft picks traded fro Taylor Adams constantly turning the ball over under 0 pressure.

take your pick, or if you've got a better choice, leave it in the comments below :D
Not exactly damning like the above, but * it was hilariously watching Blair(?) get a magnificent sit on one of our backmen towards the end of the game, only to have Fletch lazily drift across for the intercept mark at the last second. Icing on the cake. :thumbsu:

Talia is getting close to elite - Not quite there yet - He must be 23 now.

And Carlisle wasn't elite at 21.

As a rough measurement if you can make AA ( as a tall defender ) at 21 you are probaly elite.

just spent 2 hours reading pages 13-33 on the Collingwood matchday thread.so many lulz.. be proud of how we totally smashed these arch rivals Bombers...Also read to see how they rate/ talk about us an be a proud Bomber!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back