Essendon - 1984 Prelim Highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Some of us on this board were around to see the 84/85 premierships as kids. It's hard to explain to the you younger generation just how good this side was. I think watching the link below is as close as I could get.
Remember - this is 1984 - check out the skill level.
I have mentioned Leon Baker a few times - this shows what a player he was.
Van der haar - one of the most naturally talented players I have seen.

Have a look if you have a few minutes.

This one one of the most brilliant games we ever played...

At half time they announced over the PA that the Collingwood buses were leaving now...LOL...Thanks for posting it, what a year...

If there was BF then imagine what the Match day forum would have looked like when we had kicked 4.15 to 3/4 time and trailed by 24 points....pays to support and keep the faith sometimes..

Just watched it twice...Best game Baker ever played, possiblt Vander as well , though he had many many blinders, Hows the way he kicks his first two goals on the left foot...Vander was a right footer normally..nothing was normal for him..

Some footage here which shows how incredible some of these guys were..Watson, Madden, TD, Bomba Thompson, Neagle, Harvey to name a few...That was the las time we got to see The Budgie in the Red and Black as well...Spat it when he got dropped for the Granny and went to the dogs...Everyone loved Budgie, he was like a fat Boomer Harvey...:)

Sat at the top of The Sir Kenneth Luke stand, bit like watching ants. So Dad and I had a perfect view of the rats deserting the sinking ship @ HALF TIME ! I was in high school at the time surrounded by rich,haw,carl and coll fans, we were terrible in the 70's (primary school) and I can only remember one other Bomber fan, to say we enjoyed those two flags would be a massive understatement.
Hard to explain or put into words what those flags meant. It did prove my old mans words right "we will come good boy, just stick with them"

Enjoy reading this article from the day after the ‘84 granny. It focuses more on the lead up to the last quarter.
I’m sure a few on here still have copies of the newspapers from the day that could maybe take some photos of the articles and post them here.

Enjoy reading this article from the day after the ‘84 granny. It focuses more on the lead up to the last quarter.
I’m sure a few on here still have copies of the newspapers from the day that could maybe take some photos of the articles and post them here.

If we concede 4 goals in the first 7 minutes next time we make a GF I reckon that'd be it for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the game style is so ahead of its time, look at all the forward handball, at the time it used to be kick mark, kick mark - this is exhilarating, just constant forward movement and forward handball cutting through the traditional lines

I was lucky enough to be there. I've said it elsewhere, but this era was where the past was starting to meet the future, in terms of what footy would become.
Not full time professionals, but getting there - and you can see it.

Leon Baker...man, I loved him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back